Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

That's a wrap, final day of the season and Geezonaires Grand Ski Tour

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
See Last Post

Well he's been skiing for a good many seasons (62), and he's a classic piste skier, relentlessly skiing the pistes of Serre Chevalier nigh on every day with the many Serre Che Geezonaires, religiously shopping for their coffee at 11:30

Ironically when we do first lifts to make the most of the storms they'll still be wrapped up staying in bed Laughing

A few of them have now purchased fat skis and are venturing between the pistes and skiing the trees, but said "mate" in question got a bit carried away and at the end of last season and was literally carried away on a blood wagon after skiing a tad out of control in heavy powder and doing his ACL.

But huge "Chapeau" to him for getting back on his horse, and without an operation too, but with loads of rehab via running and cycling he's been skiing all season, and even venturing a little in the powder.

So we've been nagging him as to how he should come ski touring, but naturally, he's been a little concerned at the prospect.

So with the lifts closed and some superb spring snow conditions, we talked him into it, though when I saw him cycling up the Col du Lautaret the day before I thought he was working on an excuse not to come with us Laughing

So with borrowed boots, skis and skins he was ready and we drove up the Granon road to 2,150m where we parked up and walked a mile up the road before putting the skis on.

Great thing is that we ski down a completely different route to that we climb up enabling us to make the most of the snow transforming in the warmer temps and change aspect accordingly.

We all thought that there was possibly no way he'd reach the summit as it's a tad technical, but the snow was forgiving and along with ski crampons he made it, which was a good effort as over the years I've seen people struggle far more.

Great effort nigh on 600m climb

So little vid with some drone filming at the beginning from the summit.

And watch it to the end to hear his amusing comment Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/MQUfLG5rd5g

https://www.strava.com/activities/2333022230

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 14-05-19 5:42; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well played
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a great first day to remember - I'd imagine he's now "hooked"?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So without deliberately upsetting the feminists on here, or if I do it is not intended, which means I must be a classic misogynist as I don't recognise if I'm belittling women or not, so I can't really win Laughing

After last week with my mate, transpired his Mrs was a tad aggrieved that she had not come/been invited.

So we went to great efforts to tell her that indeed she should come next time and the fact that her husband was now extolling the virtues of touring and how what he did was not gnarly and extreme and that the skiing was most pleasant and would not be an issue for his wife, who had a partial knee replacement last year and still has knee issues.

So whilst I was back in the UK over the weekend they'd been down to the climbing shop to suss out touring gear rentals as all the ski shops are closed with a view to making the most of a break in the weather for today.

On my return yesterday I ended up at their place after a ride to see what was happening, to then discover that Yvonne was no longer up for it, for fear of her knee.

So I accepted that and did not push it, and said there was always next season etc etc

Then after a bit more of a conversation, transpired it was not the skiing that she was worried about and her knee but the actual walking up!

I then did sell her the idea that the walking in ski touring is really easy and would not adversely affect her knee due to, if done correctly, the sliding/gliding motion as opposed to hiking.

She accepted that but still said "another day", then two hours later had a WhatsApp to tell us she'd hired the kit and was up for it!

Weather first thing was a tad overcast, but the forecast was good and the sun was doing its thing as we climbed up with the snow slowly cooking.

Many a marmot was out with the dogs doing their usual, and I swear the marmots are winding the dogs up as they sit half in half out of their holes whistling and then watching the dogs come hurtling towards them (not chasing) and right at the last minute they "dive, dive dive", leaving a very frustrated terrier on the surface Laughing

None of us really thought (inc hubby) and my wife that she'd make the summit, but at a slow steady pace with lots of stops to catch her breath, as once above 2,500m it gets difficult if you're not used to exercising in nigh on anaerobic conditions, which a lack of endurance fitness can accelerate.

Once at the summit nerves started again as it's a tad steep, but once we were passed that and she sussed that the snow was very pleasant indeed she really enjoyed the skiing and it was really superb spring snow, and the descent is made even better by the aspect being SW/W facing so it does not get too heavy and timing is not so important. (I know I'm repeating myself from the initial post).

Nearing the summit

And the vid with some more Drone footage

http://youtube.com/v/SvfF8jJ9jPo
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Full marks y'all. Looked like a great day out. Hopefully you get a few more outings before it all disappears....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks beautiful!! I think even I could cope with that..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wcam this is excellent.

Two things.

ValaisGrom said last week ‘when can we go skinning?’ - for a 13 year old to think that skinning is cool is a Very Good Thing.

And

When the lift companies have gone bust, all the snow is above the top installations due to climate change, and the pylons and gear is rusting and decayed, it is those on skins who will inherit the earth.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After the success of the last couple of ski tours, yesterday we went en masse up to the Gardiole for the final tour of the season, as today we're leaving the valley moving our base from the mountains to the Spanish coast for a month or so.

There's still plenty of ski tour options here, especially from the Lautaret.

Yesterday was quite special though as we took a good group of friends out and they all thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The weather was a worry as we started the climb it was very cloudy, however, it slowly cleared and we had superb spring snow for the descent in very pleasant sunshine.

They're all hooked now and are planning on buying touring gear for next season that they can also piste ski on.

And some more nice droning Cool

http://youtube.com/v/pP8grpGml0M
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't beat days like that Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well Done Steve and Yvonne.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That looks proper mint. Thanks for sharing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy