Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booking transfer - price variability

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am planning on booking private transfers for our group with Alps 2 Alps for our group for Feb half term.

I am happy with wh price and the Euro is exchange rate is relatively good at the moment. However I feel bad asking others to pay their share earlier than needed.

Has anybody watched these transfer prices and have become worse if left to closer to transfer date? I know with the hire cares for April I ended up having to pay significantly more booking the April one a month in advance versus what we paid for Feb in July.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
why do you feel bad asking others to pay their share earlier than needed ? If you need to pay now to make the booking, it's not earlier than needed ?

I would imagine there's an awful lot of pressure on transfer companies on peak weeks. If you have a quote from a company that can do it, I would book it soonest
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Timberwolf, that’s my instincts (which I am fighting...).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think private transfers are typically a fixed cost. I've not seen them change price closer to the time. Most likely outcome for a busy week is that they sell out, so if you're happy with the price I'd book it. You may be able to pay a deposit now and the balance nearer the time if you're worried about up-front costs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The price is unlikely to go down for a peak week ( based on the classic supply / demand / discounting model ).
If you do not feel comfortable asking the party to pony up now, then why don't you front up the Transfer deposit, and ask another person to put up the deposit for the ski school, somebody else for the ski hire deposit, somebody else for the contingency kitty, and somebody else for the accommodation, etc.. This way everybody is invested in making it a success, sharing the financial risk, and nobody should feel excluded from the pre-trip commitment circle.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Harsh experience says make sure everybody has personally invested hard cash in a group booking.
Do not front it up all by yourself...somebody will cancel.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As above, it’s not earlier than needed and no reason for you to take on risk.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickyJ, lots of sensible advice here. I find most transfer companies want a deposit. It varies from company to company. Our transfer company this year didn't ask for any deposit for the Feb half term and we booked it in September 18. I don't think its too much to ask people to contribute. When I've organised trips I have tended to make sure that I keep everyone involved in decision's. Key is getting people to commit. Once they have very few pull out. I would though be more concerned about getting things like a deposit from people for the accommodation. That one would hurt if people pulled out last minute!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok gone ahead and booked.

Don’t worry everyone has already paid deposit direct to accommodation provider and already booked and paid for their flights directly themselves. Having already paid those elements wanted to spread things out for others as much as possible but don’t want to leave too late or pay more by doing so Happy. However very conscious we are talking about a peak week.

Alps2Alps asks for whole not - no deposit option sadly. However have used them before and had good reliable service and as I said price is fair.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah Skiidy ask for whole payment, always leaves me a little worried about being exposed if something happens to the company.

When using them for new year week we asked about possibly paying just a deposit (as wee looking to book in September). They said not to worry as unlikely to ‘sell out’ so we waited and just booked in late November instead.

I’d echo the above though, if someone has to pay out a deposit to secure something then everyone else in the group should stump up. That’s the reasonable expectation.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, yes that is why I paid with Credit card (got the Halifax clarity) rather than Revolut which would give me marginally better exchange rate (based on analysis done while in Austria recently), the extra protection you get from the credit card company is well worth the very marginal difference.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are happy with the price then book.
Especially if you are a big group - once you need more than 8, then your choices to even find transfers become limited.
What I do, is tell everyone the price. They can pay now, or later.
I organise a few trips
I split the GBP from EURO
I collect money in EURO & GBP
using a revoult card, its easy to give people a live exchange price.
Everyone knows the price & its up to them when to pay & maybe take advantage if the exchange rate is doing well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, ref the payments stuff, have you seen or used https://www.tricount.com/en/ ? *

One of the best ever ways to ensure that everybody pays the fair share, and no-one feels like they haven't contributed or that "John is always poncing off the kitty, never buys a round..." or indeed "I didn't go out last night, how come they used all the kitty on beers and I still have to contribute?" stuff.

We use it for boys week for the past three years and it is terrific. Some people pay for car hire, some for accommodation, some for food at the airport prior to the trip, I buy ALL the ski passes (because I get a discount- but it all has to be one CC transaction and that's not a small commitment...)
and it all works out in the end without the need for complicated spreadsheets.

Obviously download the app to everyone's phone, create a trip and add them to it and away you go. at any given moment, it tells you who owes what to whom , setttle up and square it off, all done. No fuss, no fretting, no ducking responsiblity.

In the words of the meercat, Simples.
The ONLY downside, is it does tell you total expenditure, which can be a little bit scary, and somethign I think most of us try to avoid...

* Other calculators are available, I'm sure.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy