Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New snow report website - Feedback please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow SnowHeads!

As an avid skier and computer geek and have tried to tie the two passions together. My partner and I have put together (among other things) a Snow Report service. It is in its infancy and we are wondering whether this is something other skiers/riders would find useful.

We put together a map-driven service to help skiers/riders locate hills with recent snow. At this time, click on the snowflake icon and an information dialog pops up with the resort info. Hovering over a hill gives you the hill name and any recent snow listings. From there, you can subscribe to have that content pushed to your cellular phone (via SMS), if you are a registered user. Also, you can get driving directions to that hill. There will be additional mapping and location-based features and preferences coming soon, provided there is interest. We have only tested our SMS in Western Canada, so US users may not receive messages. Keep in mind that at this time we don't charge for sending messages, but your cellular provider might ding you...check before you sign up for feeds from us.

Also, we have a textual listing of conditions for more resorts. This is a listing of all the resorts we would add to the map...if people are interested. I have to manually locate all the hills, which takes time.

This is not meant to be a blatant plug for our site, rather we are interested in real skier/rider feedback. Is this something that folks would find useful? Should we continue developing the service (we have lots of cool extensions in mind)?

Please check out the site below (click on "Snow Reports" off the main page) and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for your input!

http://www.whereinfo.com

Cheers,
Loco-snowman
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
loco-snowman, Welcome to Snowheads. I had a quick look and thought it seemed a good idea as long as you were looking in Canada West coast. No hard resort info though like no of runs/verticle m is resort easy/middling/difficult in general wetc, which would make it much more useful for Europeans planning a trip. Good luck.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement easiski!

We do have that sort of info and would likely include it in a 'detailed' report. that would link off the info bubble. You can pan around the map to see W. US resorts too. The rest of North America would be added next season, provided we continue on with the idea.

BTW, Mozilla displays the map very quickly, IE...a little slower.

Cheers,
loco-snowman
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
loco-snowman, another welcome to snowHeads. Hang around a bit and you'll find we tend to be centering on the European Resorts but your site looks good. I use Mozilla Firefox and had no trouble on a broadband connection. Always nice to see a new snow sports site.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. We can gain access to European snow conditions as well. Now, locating the hills may be more challenging!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What's unique about your service that I can't get from the Canadian Met office, resort websites etc.? What people tend to want are accurate forecasts from farther out which only meteorologists can actually provide I'd have thought travel directions are a waste of time unless you have a better product than Via michelin or equivalent.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks fatbob. We are trying to put together a service that is a consolidation of a variety of readily available services. Hopefully, to reduce the amount of hopping around to various sites. We intend on providing a portal of sorts for skiing and riding conditions. As for uniqueness (good point), mapping (for a quick visual comparison for resorts in your region with snow) and cell-based updates (for when you are not at the computer) seem to be 'unpaired' from what I have seen.

You are absolutely right: detailed forecasts are 'golden eggs' to us skiers and boarders. However, they are tough to find/provide. Environment Canada stations (not sure about US and Europe) are rarely in close proximity to the resorts, so that information is typically provided from resort weather stations and staff. I guess if you want that kind of detailed info. you might already have a hill or two in mind and would simply visit their site for the most detailed info. We tried to accommodate this by providing the link to the resort website. Thanks for the input and I will spend a little more time seeing what we can do on the forecasting front. Right now that info is only a couple clicks away.

Driving directions are driven (no pun intended!) by Google Local, so the service is solid for North America. Coverage in Europe is sparse to say the least. I will have a closer look at the Via Michelin site to see if there is a means to leverage it. Thanks for the pointer!

All feedback is good, as we are toying with whether to continue developing this or not. The site is far from finished and we just have a skeleton to show some of the core offerings. Do you see any value in the service? What about the SMS updates? Thanks again.

Cheers,
loco-snowman
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy