Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nikwax spray

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been using some Nikwax spray on my ski jacket. Thing is it looks, feels and smells like diluted PVA. rolling eyes

I've used diluted PVA for many things in the past:- sealing fresh plaster and concrete, barrier on walls to combat damp, that sort of thing.

It must be more than PVA surely to retail at such a price Puzzled - or does anyone know different?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty good nose, can't believe you missed the coconut finish:

Nick(NikWax)Brown wrote:

Coating compositions based on ethylene vinyl acetate polymers have improved compatibility with solvents (especially with aliphatic hydrocarbon solvents) hydrocarbon oils, and mineral waxes by blending the EVA with a fatty acid and heating at or above the melting point of the EVA. Furthermore the resultant blends are much more easily emulsified in the presence of cations than blends which have not been processed with the fatty acids. Typically the starting material for the improved product of this invention is a composition comprising a blend of an EVA polymer and a fatty acid which is miscible in all proportions with mineral spirits at 25 DEG C or forms a solution at a level 5 % of fatty acid in mineral spirits, such as coconut or palm fatty acids. Also disclosed is that the addition of a salt of an amine acetic acid in sufficient quantity to an acidified salt of zirconium (for example EDTA and zirconium acetate) forms a novel emulsifying agent, and this emulsifying system is used advantageously with the described EVA/fatty acid blends.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, I reckon that his patent attorney wrote that for him.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, watch out, SZK is bored already.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the Nikwax front heard recently that there is some silicone containing fabric conditioner that is a) lots cheaper and b) performs almost as well as Nikwax wash-in. Anyone know about this?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, fabric conditioners have had silicones in them for years now. I just used an ultra-concentrate on my Camelbak to get the straps nice and soft and chafe-free. Were you thinking of fluoros like 303?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Comprex, Thanks for the Nik(Nikwax) extract. I've read it 3 times now and wouldn't fancy having to explain it to anyone else. Confused Must confess I missed the smell of coconut though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hehe - forget the technical crap Nikwax i've found WORKS. I bet now there are other alternatives but to be honest, I only reproof my gear (all my climbing gear etc) irregularly - perhaps after a week of heavy use in the Peak District or something Smile - or if they start to "wet out", so the amount of times I need to use it is rare which stops me being so bothered about the cost.

The fact is it won't really be better than when your gear left the factory, so anything you use is a freshner and won't be AS permanent. I know what you mean about the plastic smell, one of my jackets smelt a bit like one of the things you buy for £2 out of a vending machine in public loos Shocked

If you use nikwax (et al) correctly - it will enhance the lifespan of your gear. I find new fashions, "technologies" and just the whole money-burning-pocket thing kill the lifespan of my gear more of a problem, shame Nikwax can't fix that!!! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy