Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whatever you do....

Poster: A snowHead
... if you're heading for the French Alps.....

Don't look at the projected snowline for the downpours expected this coming Thursday and Friday............

Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, Thanks Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, Umbrellas packed? Wellies packed?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mouth, do you think he might need a canoe?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mouth, Is your place above the high water mark Laughing

Thinking about it we're all in trouble if it's not Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Strewth... And according to GFS charts it's getting warmer still before it gets any colder again... Current charts show a massive warm lump over the Alps next Tue/Wed... If freezing levels are 3000m+ with charts for this Thursday then they'll be 4000m+ for next Tue/Wed. It'll be 20C+ at around 1500m according to current runs... not the best conditions for keeping snow in a tip-top condition, it must be said... Sad

Not until next Friday/Saturday (7th/8th) does it show temps dropping again... here's hoping that the temp drops bring some fresh snow too...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds grim. Can someone please supply a link to the forecasts mentioned?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I'm out there from the 7th,keeping everything crossed that it comes good.Just checked the Valmorel site;snow has shrunk a little at the base,but is showing an increase of around 30cm at the top from a couple of days ago Very Happy Current status....heavy snow :?Cant tell what's happening from the webcams,whiteout??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Should be OK - it usually snows on my birthday, which is the 7th Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
xyzpaul, www.wetterzentrale.de, click on "GFS-ENS 12Z" near the top of the page, then on "GFS" top left of the page, then "850hPa Temperatur" from the middle top of the page and click through the times ahead... further into the future it goes, less accurate it is. "Niederschlag" will give you precipitation as well.
latest report
 brian
brian
xyzpaul, PG gets the subscription only forecasts from meteofrance.com

Raw output from various weather models is available at:

www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten

The latest GFS operational goes for 15 degrees above the seasonal average next Wednesday !! However, the ensemble spread was 25 degrees so I think it's fair to say it's struggling to get to grips with the data.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
xyzpaul, it's a paid service, link not possible.

snowskisnow, it is absolutely chucking it down, has been all day. Anything above 1600m is getting a substantial dump, if a bit wet at resort level. Temps dropping a little, snowline expected to be around 1300m Wednesday. Unless the forecast has changed dramatically though since I checked early this morning, Thurs and Friday we're in for some very wet weather very high up.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is a bit of a "don't think of rabbits" thread!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just looked at the forecast through to next Tuesday, and it seems that t.§*¤¤}_|########
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
didn't they forecast something similiar for today about a week ago?, ie freezing level over 3000m

as PG said, substantial snow above 1600m, started 8amish in Flims this morning..

regards,

Greg
latest report
Come folks, for goodness sake, it's practically the start of April! What do we expect? 'Tis a time for cold Ronnie Rose on the balcony and a decent lunch after a morning in mushy bumps.
snow report
I hope to get some skiing in tomorrow before the really mild weather sets in. Could be 30/40 cms of fresh snow at altitude if the wind wasn't too strong, and it should be quite cold tomorrow Smile
latest report
So wat will i be like in Les Menuires next week?
snow report
Too late - already looked! And after a battle to get fit as well.

DM -any top tips for finding good stuff in PDS other than head to the top of Avoriaz?
snow report
fatbob - you asking about off piste or on piste, or "other" good stuff????
ski holidays
Acccording to my amn on the ground it's been 20 deg.C in Zurich today...9 days until I'm on mud/slush/snow Very Happy
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
Acccording to my amn on the ground it's been 20 deg.C in Zurich today...9 days until I'm on mud/slush/snow Very Happy

Nah, that was yesterday Laughing
snow report
gregh - the only white powder I'm particularly interested in is predominantly H20 based Smile

Off-piste really - remember Lindaret trees being fun but its been a few years since I've been to Morzine so more of a reminder really.
latest report
eng_ch, I stand corrected... Very Happy
latest report
these 2 bluebird pics were taken on the opposite and hence quieter side of Les Gets, well worth a look up there, you need to cross the road so as you ski down towards les gets from the Morzine link go as right as possible, you'll see the lifts going up the other side.

http://gregh.co.uk/albums/morzine06/

The other 2 pics (ignore sunset one) are in happy/hidden Valley ( I think that's what it's called ) but I can't remember where it is!! Somewhere around Lindarets/Chatel I think!!

cheers,

Greg
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, what gregh (great pics by the way) is talking about is Mont Chery. Only 4-5 lifts but serving some great terrain. Chery Nord can be excellent (the other side of the hill to Les Gets).

The big question is whether it'll freeze overnight or not. It didn't at the weekend so we (apparently) didn't miss much on Sunday being very hungover and not starting till midday (at least, that's what I heard). Clear nights required and the forecast until early next week doesn't indicate them.

But then, if the snow level's 1,300 (as forecast for Wednesday) then anything above 1,4-1,500m-ish should be very amusing - yes, Lindarets trees, also Mont Chery, the lower Hauts Forts (Crot, lower Crozats, Combettes) depending on what's open. Even upper Pleney can be mighty fine. Visibility will be key to any decision making but if it's good enough, then Chamossiere might be good.

Be aware that current avalanche risk is 3 (Considerable: Triggering possible, sometimes even with low additional loads. The detailed bulletin may indicate many slopes which are particularly affected. In certain conditions, medium and occasionally large-sized natural avalanches may occur).

Cham Meteo are suggesting a new storm coming through over the weekend perhaps but aren't very sure. There was certainly lots of fine piste coverage around on Sunday, just rather soft. Nice enough on piste but not terribly inviting off to the side of the piste or on underskied snow. Lovely in the bumps!! Two chums skied on Saturday when it was apparently raining up to 2,000m and said it was fine on piste, if wet. I have great difficulty dragging Sophie out in the rain so we had a top lunch up at the Crapahute (up the Vallee de la Manche).

Did anyone notice the massive mud slide onto the paravalanche below Ardent bubble. Freaky (scary)...
ski holidays
Its not all doom and gloom - have a look at this piccy from arcs 1950 today:

http://resortclub.arc1950.com/scripts/webphoto.php?lg=gb
snow conditions
Crazy weather. Huge flakes falling right now in BsM at 800m. Snowline to rise to 1200m by this afternoon. Tomorrow (and Friday), snowline anywhere between 2000m and 2500m - very heavy precipitation forecast. From Saturday marginal drop in temps, average snowline around 1900m, but occasionally a fair bit higher...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, Does this mean the weather will be crazy or that the Meteo don't know precisely what's going to happen? wink
snow report
I really, really hope that it's the latter Wink - trouble is, only 24 hours away the forecasts are usually reasonably accurate.....
latest report
looking at snow-forecast, the problem appears to be Thursday night, looking at the Courchevel forecast they have f/l at 2650m with rain Sad

but then dropping over the weekend, down to 1650/1850 by next Monday.

regards,

Greg
snow report
Just in one day the GFS forecast models have massively climbed down from the warm temps predicted - this is fantastically good news if it continues the trend downwards. Where the 0 degree line was just about making it to mid-france, it now sweeps down into southern france and spain far earlier, keeping the warm mediterranean weather at bay.

If this forecast model sticks then it is very good news indeed for late season holidays as there will be low temps and precipitation of the white fluffy kind instead of the warm and wet kind!

The GFS precipitation charts don't really let up at all between now and next week - there seems to be a constant flow of precipitation on & off all over the French (and other) alps for the foreseeable future... the only problem will be the warm temps at first, so the sooner the cold returns the better, although the upper slopes all over France will continue to get snow pretty much on a daily basis judging by the GFS models of today.
snow report
 brian
brian
carled, the GFS is still all over the place from Monday the 3rd onwards. I mentioned above that the ensemble spread was about 25 degrees for next Wednesday. The 00z run you're looking at was one of the coldest members, yesterday the operational was one of the warmest.

ski holidays
brian, what's the blue line on the graph?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
.rob@rar.org.uk, The thick blue line is the operational run, ie. the one you are seeing when you look at the charts.
latest report
 brian
brian
Actually, although it's still pretty uncertain, there is a bit of clustering towards the cold side, so fingers crossed the trend is moving the right way.
latest report
brian wrote:
.rob@rar.org.uk, The thick blue line is the operational run, ie. the one you are seeing when you look at the charts.

Thanks.
ski holidays
Whatever the graphs say it's snowing heavily in La Rosiere now.
ski holidays
brian, congrats on your "1000"!

Love that ensemble chart... only two members above the 30-year average by next weekend and the vast majority well under it before then. If the trend continues and that precip lump hits between the 5th and 7th in cold temps... joyous snowfalls abounding!
latest report
David@traxvax, that's the kind of real-world forecast I can appreciate... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy