Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need new boots>

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought some Salomon Eclipse 8s in 1999 and have just had my third week skiing in them, but I can not get on with the binding across the foot. I have skiied the whole week without even fastening them, cos if I did they were either too loose or too tight...... could not get the clips right on any day and by Friday I was making an audible squeak every step..... quite embarrasing..... they also look so out dated and I really want some new boots now. They were sold to me as beginners/early intermediate boots and to be frank, I KNOW I have passed that stage now (big grin at my dare devil approach to last weeks reds).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whoops they are evolution 8s. not eclipse!!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But you neglect to mention if the boots are comfortable or not ? Clips are of varying use depending how well the shell fits, but you probably ought to be able to close them. I used to have a pair a Equipe 9 boots where I had to get new clips fitted becuase I couldn't reasonably close the fitted ones and get any adjustment.

Be careful, Mrs Ise has some new boots and she's having a nightmare with them. Apparently they fitted in the shop and first days skiing and apparently now they don't, I suspect they'll be joining her discarded Raichle hard snowboard boots in the ski locker of history. She's an impatient shopper and didn't try enough pairs on at all.

I wouldn't mind but I'm skiing a knackered pair of last years Atomic skis and I could do with some new ones Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have to confess they are like a comfortable pair of slippers unless the cramp sets in (I suffer in my left foot, I tend to lift my toes on the left foot into a turn, usually whilst sticking out my tongue to concentrate)..... having said that, the cramp does not appear to be caused by ill fitting boots, but by owners failure to warm up and stretch properly!!!!!

The left boot is def. worse than the right.... I dont know I have the right boot on, but spend all day fiddling with the left..... to try and elivate the cramp in my toes!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds to me like a bit of a mental thing has set in.I had a similier problem with a new pair of Rossignol Softs.Right was fine but kept wiggling my toes on the left foot.This then turned into a cramp situation,not good!Eventually discovered that the liner was just catching my little toe(diddums)5mm of boot stretch cured it Razz
Wether you decide to keep your boots;or change;the solution is the same.Go to a good boot fitter.It really does work you know Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Your boots will not be worn out after 3 weeks. Shells last for years and liners should last at least 70 days of heavy skiing. So you can't argue you need new boots on that count Wink

The cramp sounds as if it is caused by too much space in the boot. You are not specific about where the cramp is. If it is in the arches of your feet then your feet are prolly too flat in the boot; a built up arch will cure this. If it is in the toes then the boots may be too high in the toe. This can also be dealt with.

A decent bootfitter can sort this type of thing out, assuming that the problem isn't just that the shells are too big - which it often is when people have foot pain. Even if they are too a solution might be workable. Get it dealt with in a resort and make an appointment. It will cost a bit but only a fraction of the cost of new boots.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd agree with Kurt, I'd find it hard to see they're no good after three weeks, mine have had about 80 days use and they're still mostly OK. I also find there's nothing like me skiing badly for making my boots uncomfortable. Value for money ? Like Kurt says get someone to look at them and spend the saved money on lessons, way better value Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fruity, glad to hear you had a great holiday Smile

I wonder if your boots are too big?

I say this because I have had similar problems the past couple of weeks I have skied in mine...basically constantly fiddling with the clips desparetely trying to get a better fit to no avail, boots either too tight or too loose, occasional cramp and other probs.

My boots too are so comfy, no pressure points and I could wear them all day BUT skiing I am increasingly struggling in them. My foot and ankle moves around in the boot and my heel lifts within the boot in the turn. They feel sloppy!

Because they were so comfy I bought innerboot straps from Ellis Brighams, basically these are like 'socks' which go over the inner boot and allow you to really draw up the inner boot around your ankle. They didn't really work for me.

Anyway I finally decided that my boots are definitely too big by that fact that the instructor I skied with recently was 2 sizes bigger than me in a normal shoe and yet his boots were the same size as mine! Then I did the 'shell check' and I have about 4cm of space!

I am off to S&R for new ones but not until after 15th April...that way you get the benefit of their comfort guarantee/refitting service for a whole year!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah wrote:
Fruity, glad to hear you had a great holiday Smile

I wonder if your boots are too big?

I say this because I have had similar problems the past couple of weeks I have skied in mine...basically constantly fiddling with the clips desparetely trying to get a better fit to no avail, boots either too tight or too loose, occasional cramp and other probs.

My boots too are so comfy, no pressure points and I could wear them all day BUT skiing I am increasingly struggling in them. My foot and ankle moves around in the boot and my heel lifts within the boot in the turn. They feel sloppy!

I think this is common, it's what I'd call first boot syndrome Very Happy The reaction to hire boots that are too tight is to buy ones that are too large. I thought better fitters in the UK had stopped this nowadays.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ise... you're right! These are my first boots and I bought them approx 7 years ago (but only skied in them 4-5 weeks) so perhaps fitters were fitting them 'big' back then?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just think they're a bit sharper nowadays and avoid some of the more obvious pitfalls. In the end though no matter how good the fitter is it's not their foot in the boot so if the customer wants a big boot that's what they'll get.

Maybe there's a third boot syndrome as well, I'm still trying to find out how the new boots Mrs Ise just bought were OK at fitting, then for skiing in the Grand Massif and yet for the last two days out have been far too small despite the fact they're a fractionally larger volume than the ones they replaced. In the end it's not my foot in the boot so I can't get to the bottom of it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Sarah, that did occur to me, BUT I know I can feel the tips of the boot with my toes. I have the foot beds (made at same time I bought my boots) and an interesting comment from a work colleague; I have had a baby since buying the boots and apparently, pregnancy can change your foot shape and size.. so maybe I should investigate a new foot bed......

I wear quite expensive socks (about £15 from S&R) not the old cheapies from C&A! I bought two new pairs this year and found that when I wore them, I got the cramps worse than the pairs bought last year (but identical brand and make!).

My hubby did do the calf stretching thing at the top of a blue in Tonale, he made me stretch the leg out straight and held onto my ski (I hate that manouvre) and that did help on two days, but by the end of the holiday the cramp just did not go, my turns were weak and I just had to ski through the cramp which spoilt the last few runs and I didnt bother with my fav. red cos I just couldnt handle the intense pain any more.

I suppose a trip to get it checked at S&R will not go amiss.......
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fruity - A friend of mine suffered similarly recently, and her problem was resolved by a trip to a chiropodist who was also a keen skier. The chiropodist inserted a ball here and riser there, and heh presto, no more cramps.

I also suffer from cramp intermittently, and bought some of the ultra thin socks from S & R (so thin you can see your toes through the material). Really helped, and no noticeable difference in temperature either. Ended up having to tighten boots by a notch, once things had warmed up a bit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For the best in comfort and fit go to 'Strolz' in Lech and have a pair of theirs made to measure c/w conformable footbeds. Your feet should be balanced in your boots - no pressure on the balls of your feet or anywhere else. At the end of a ski day, your feet should not ache.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy