Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are "Pisteurs" and "Lifties" your personal friends?

Poster: A snowHead
If not then please refer to them by their English job titles:

Piste Worker
Lift Worker

This is a snowHead pet hate of mine. Anyone else want to share their pet hates of the otherwise lovely snowHeads board?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
xyzpaul, So do object to the use of the words "schuss" and "piste"?

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes - they are. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
xyzpaul, how many Pisteurs and Lifties have "English job titles" (aside from those at Milton Keynes et al) ??? Puzzled

bh1, Laughing Laughing thought I had a virus at first... especially when the cancel button wouldn't respond!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Serial contradictors.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bh1, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Isn't Pisteur a perfectly acceptable French job title ??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
xyzpaul wrote:
Piste Worker
Lift Worker

Bwahahahahahahahaha that is just excellent, I wonder which English dictionary you found the word "Piste" in?

Just to pass out the cluesticks the usual "English" terms are

Ski Patroller

and

Lift Operator

although please feel free to use whatever terms you like, I can just see you out with the bros and saying "hey dudes, lets score us some sex workers and go back to my hotel room and do a few rails of okey-doke". Laughing

Yes yes, I'm taking the pisteur... sorry

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 22-03-06 19:46; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not friends, but nodding aquaintances and p*ss takers yes Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
xyzpaul, who rattled your cage?!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
xyzpaul, none of the pistuers or lifties that I know work in England, what is your point?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, us too, we have had one offer to make us a guitar for my son, another thinks my hubby is the local p*sshead (probably true), and asks him when the live music is on in the local bar. As far as I was aware they are known as pisteurs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
xyzpaul wrote:

Piste Worker
Lift Worker

This is a snowHead pet hate of mine. Anyone else want to share their pet hates of the otherwise lovely snowHeads board?

One of my pet hates is job descriptions ending "worker". "Human rights worker" is a particular bug bear, which generally means "axe-grinding pot-stirrer" (try doing those at the same time - it takes years of training). "Pisteur" and "liftie" are just fine by me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman, co-worker! need I say more Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
someone is taking the p1ss...
snow report
bh1, loving the give a damn thing!!
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
someone is taking the p1ss...

Yes and it was very funny too although I'm sure we could come up with better terms, how about?

Vertical Transportation Facilitator
snow conditions
Uplift capacity management operative
ski holidays
Right, definitely time for me to retire for the night, I've spent the last couple of minutes trying to tie in the above two terms with davidof's "sex worker". rolling eyes
latest report
Smooth Traffic Flow Facilitator
ski holidays
UpsidePunterScooperZoomemUpdaMountainWorker

DownsideStraightNnarrowKeepemOnitChasemOffDaHillIsGettingDarkNdontBeLateWorker
latest report
J2Dave, you speak german? snowHead snowHead
snow report
Best thread I've seen for ages....... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
davidof, Is it true that to become a "Pisteur" one has to pass the slalom speed test carrying a large walkie talkie, a rucksack the size of a small shed, a Hilti drill, some netting, and a pallet of marker poles?.
ski holidays
Any online English dictionary will confirm that:

"Piste" is an English word, copied from French.
"Pisteur" is not an English word.
snow report
xyzpaul wrote:

We're not French. There's no formal procedure for admitting words to the English language. If 'pisteur' is understood by a group of English speakers, then it's just as much part of the language as, say, 'chav'.
snow conditions
xyzpaul wrote:

I still can't decide if you are joking or serious?
ski holidays
What is a pisteur, or a piste worker? It is a very vague description. Does it mean someone who patrols the piste? Do they also patrol off piste? Is it someone who does work on the piste, such as a piste basher driver, or maybe a ski instructor?

If you mean a patroller, i.e. someone who patrols the slopes, then use that name, cause that's what they do.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xyzpaul wrote:

It's not a question of whether a word is 'English' or not, it is whether it is, for all intents and purposes, formally recognised as a word in the English language. Piste and pisteur are both listed in the Oxford Concise English Dictionary 1995 on page 1040, thereby making no distinction between your "is" and "is not". They are both words that are formally recognised in the English language. As you might say "... end of..."

As for you "Any online English dictionary will confirm" assertion, I know which source I'd rather pay credence to. I suppose that you believe all that you read in Wikipedia?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 23-03-06 11:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, naw, use pisteur cos then everyone will know what you're talking about.

xyzpaul, do you also hate the use of "bobbies" for police workers, "clippy" for onboard bus ticket inspection workers or "jakey" for methylated spirit imbiber and social ingrate unworker?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
What is a pisteur It is a very vague description.

Why do you say that? A pisteur is someone who holds one of the various levels of "pisteur" qualifications awarded by the ENSA in Chamonix or foreign equivalent. A pisteur is specifically responsible for accident prevention in the ski domain: evacuation of injured people, avalanche search and rescue, first aid, marking of dangers, piste markings. Optionally a pisteur may be involved in avalanche prevention with explosives and avalanche forecasting.

Piste Worker just struck me as oxymoronic, a mixture of French and English words but as bh1 says if both are in the OED (neither in my dictionary but it is possibly too small) then fair enough.

Liftie I assume is a corruption of lift operator or lift man.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 23-03-06 11:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, naw, use pisteur cos then everyone will know what you're talking about.

I would say that's a bit of a big assumption.
ski holidays
davidof, it may be a standard French description for a French qualification, but is it the same word used in German, Italian, etc, and does it have the same meaning, or even, dare I say it, "outside Europe"?
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
davidof, it may be a standard French description for a French qualification, but is it the same word used in German, Italian, etc, and does it have the same meaning, or even, dare I say it, "outside Europe"?

That was the OP's point and I agree but he suggested two alternatives that are not in common usage one including the stem of the French word he objected to. I assumed he was having a joke but maybe not? Piste isn't that well understood in the US I find - ski run or slope seems more usual.

Here are some suggestions for other languages:
pattugliatore (it)
patrouilleur (swiss france, germanic countries)

anyone like to confirm?
snow report
Is a hidden viewer here a voyeur ?
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, yes, the chief pisteur in La Rosiere is very much our friend, he's also the local plumber.
snow report
There are no friends on a powder day...
snow report
What's a piste-basher driver called?
snow conditions
xyzpaul wrote:
What's a piste-basher driver called?

"Sir" if he's heading toward you, "Jesus!" when he's almost on you and "Oh ****" when it's too late?

...and "God" if the lifts have closed and he's taking hitch-hikers...
latest report
If you were run over by the track of a piste pasher in soft snow, would it kill you? (presuming the grooming attachment fails to shred you)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy