Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ever seen a white elephant?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi baheid, welcome to Snowheads.

This is a bit of an old thread but the funicular continues to create some controversy as I'm sure you know.

With regards this Dave Morris bloke can members not get rid of him?

I presume you're referring to The Ramblers Association, where is head office - somewhere in England?

Sorry for all the questions but can you also give us an idea what the Badenoch and Strathspey group of the Ramblers thinks (I'm presuming you're a member)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sherman-maeir wrote:

Well I'm not sure that I view 150,000 summer visitors as a success given the sensitive nature of the site, even if they are allegedly 'roped in'.

Not even roped-in - you aren't allowed to leave the top building in summer. In the top station they have an exhibition to occupy those who go up. Absolutely ridiculous. I went straight down again and walked up so I could walk around outside and see the views properly. They must rely on visitors who don't know what it's like - nobody who had been up would recommend it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball wrote:
you aren't allowed to leave the top building in summer.

It's stranger than that - if you walk up you are allowed into the building for a cuppa and a cake and are then allowed back out again - or at least that was the case a couple of years ago - and I have a feeling that you cannot walk up and get the train down.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ They recently changed the VMP and you can now walk up and then get the train down.

It's not entirely CMLs fault, as I understand it the reason these silly rules were brought in was to quiet down opposition from the environmental lobby and allow the original project to gain planning permission.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sherman-maeir wrote:
Boardski wrote:
The Cairngorm funicular was always going to be a white elephant and I am still dumbfounded as to why it was built.

If you read this week's Economist they suggest that the whole thing was a bit of a scam to line the pockets of interested parties from hotel groups in Aviemore (what a dump) to the construction company whose chairman was also on the board of the HIE. After the Scottish parliament debacle and various scams involving councils around the Glasgow area it seems like the country is riddled with corruption.

OMG Shermie, you can't say that on Snowheads, that's going to get our friends in the north blowin' a fuse.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
sherman-maeir wrote:
Boardski wrote:
The Cairngorm funicular was always going to be a white elephant and I am still dumbfounded as to why it was built.

If you read this week's Economist they suggest that the whole thing was a bit of a scam to line the pockets of interested parties from hotel groups in Aviemore (what a dump) to the construction company whose chairman was also on the board of the HIE. After the Scottish parliament debacle and various scams involving councils around the Glasgow area it seems like the country is riddled with corruption.

OMG Shermie, you can't say that on Snowheads, that's going to get our friends in the north blowin' a fuse.

Given the post was 20 years ago, it would need to be a very long fuse...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good thread resurrection, @davidof. Opinion in Scotland is, to put it mildly, mixed. The suggestion that "our friends in the north" are of a single view (on almost anything, like the rest of us) is far-fetched. I only skied once at Aviemore. The first day was beautiful - blue sky and great snow - and the queues to get up (draglift) were insane. The second day it blew a hoolie and they closed the lifts by coffee-time. A typical Scottish ski weekend?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fantastic thread resurrection I'd say. I'm English but have lived in Scotland for nearly 30 years. Of course there's no single view on anything except possibly the England men's football team, where there is a clear majority opinion. However, the average opinion on politics (insofar as it's possible to say that) differs from that in England.

My first ski trip was with Mrs tsgsh (then GF) taking a school trip to Cairngorm (pre-funicular). That was memorable for learning why the locals wore ice hockey goalie masks, having my face stripped off by ice blown up the White Lady at one point. It was almost as memorable hearing one 2nd year (year 8.5 in English money) in the car park saying that he'd "rather watch cricket [than ski]" and it was clear that he wasn't a cricket fan. OTOH, the best day's skiing weather I've ever had - lovely snow conditions and wall to wall blue sky and sunshine without ever getting too hot - was at Glenshee on Easter Sunday 2018.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Origen, 20th anniversary thread resurrection ! Sir Goldbrick was clearly on the money with this one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

"rather watch cricket [than ski]"

Laughing coming from a Scottish lad......
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has that 150k visitor number ever been independently verified ? I live near there and I genuinely don’t see how it could possibly get that many.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Origen wrote:
Quote:

"rather watch cricket [than ski]"

Laughing coming from a Scottish lad......

There are places in Scotland where cricket is popular. Bellshill, where he was from, is not one of them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I checked, this is what the Economist said of the project back in 2004

SNOW and skiers are both thin on the ground these days in Scottish ski resorts. Global warming and cheap flights to the Alps are to blame. Since the late 1980s the number of days with skiable snow has fallen by about a quarter and the number of ski passes sold has halved (see chart).
Scottish skiing is heavily subsidised. Most of the £27m ($43m) in state aid doled out in the past 15 years has gone to one of Scotland's five ski resorts—Cairngorm, a state-owned enterprise with a large appetite for subsidy.

In the mid-1990s, when visitor numbers were falling, Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE), the north of Scotland's main economic development agency, which owns most of the resort's assets, decided it needed a makeover. The big idea was to replace the wind-blasted main chairlift with a funicular railway.

The railway was meant to cost taxpayers £12.1m. By the time it opened in 2001, the bill was supposedly up to £14.8m, but The Economist has learnt that it actually cost taxpayers £19.6m. HIE gets £513,000 rent a year, a lowly 2.6% return, from CairnGorm Mountain, the company that runs the railway and the skiing.

The enterprise looks dubious on several counts. Morrison Construction, the Scottish firm which did the civil engineering, was chaired by Sir Fraser Morrison, who was also chairman of HIE when the railway project was being planned. Midway through the building work, Iain Robertson quit as chief executive of HIE and became a director of Morrison Construction. Investigations by the Scottish Executive, the devolved Scottish government, found no evidence of wrong-doing. Nevertheless, local suspicions remain, particularly as most of the £4.8m cost over-run went to Morrison Construction, which was taken over by AWG, another construction firm, during the railway building.

Jim Hunter, HIE's present chairman, blames conservationists. They went to court to stop what they saw as the despoiling of Britain's only sub-Arctic habitat of rare plants and birds on the Cairngorm plateau, delaying the start, and spreading building work over three summers instead of two. Unexpectedly difficult tunnelling and complicated soil-protection work also raised costs but, he claims, could not be disclosed at the opening because HIE was negotiating Morrison's bill down by several million pounds.

HIE might have to spend still more if the resort is to stay open. Since 1998-99, CairnGorm Mountain has lost money—£1.9m in 2001-02. The extra 150,000 visitors the funicular brought in 2002 is not enough to close the gap, particularly as 2002-03 was the worst skiing year on record and this one promises to be just as bad.

Bob Kinnaird, CairnGorm Mountain's chief executive, says the company can break even, in part by cutting the workforce of 85 permanent and 200 seasonal employees. That is not good news for HIE, however. The EU gave £2.7m towards the railway, on the understanding that 40 full-time and 65 part-time jobs would be created. If that does not happen, HIE will have to refund some of the money.

HIE insists, however, that the funicular is still a good deal for the local economy, which is 80% dependent on tourism. They say it was crucial in persuading Macdonald Hotels, a big chain, to spend £23m on upgrading Aviemore's main hotel and extending a golf resort in the town. Cynics note, however, that a further £8m subsidy for these developments might also explain the hotel company's enthusiasm.

What if, as the climatologists think, warm winters are here to stay? In the worst case, the railway might have to close and be taken away. That would please the conservationists, who worry that the pressure to generate summer income may lead to hordes of tourists being allowed to trample the delicate 4,000-ft high plateau instead of being confined to the café and viewing platform at the top of the railway. But it would not please the taxpayer, because <span>HIE</span> would have to pay the hefty railway-removal cost.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The population of Scotland and northern England has also been quite flat over the last 40 years with a contraction in the number of children and expansion in the number of over 65s.
So the potential supply of skiers has also reduced.

If this winter is an indicator of what we may expect in future then the difficulties which the Scottish centres have been facing for 30 years are also going to become a significant problem across the Alpine ski industry.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Scottish skiing is heavily subsidised.

Have to take issue with this because it is as a whole categorically untrue. Only CairnGorm Mountain Limited has ever been operationally subsidised .

In 2003/04 when Glencoe was put up for sale by then owners Glenshee, HIE were not only unwilling to help, they were so obstructive you could say they were actively trying to bury Glencoe once and got all.
latest report
Peter S wrote:
The population of Scotland and northern England has also been quite flat over the last 40 years with a contraction in the number of children and expansion in the number of over 65s.
So the potential supply of skiers has also reduced.

If this winter is an indicator of what we may expect in future then the difficulties which the Scottish centres have been facing for 30 years are also going to become a significant problem across the Alpine ski industry.

Don’t discount the effect of deep fried Mars Bars.

Up until the 70’s Scotland was a conveyor belt of elite sportspeople …. Dalglish, Ali Ross, Hansen, Souness, Alan Wells, Law, Jim Baxter, the Lisbon Lions. Kids obsessed with sport.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy