Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe D'Huez Info please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,
Our small party of 7 recently got back from a week in Saalbach. Most of us enjoyed it but the girls who are not great skiers found it a bit testing. My missus felt she had missed out so we have dug deep and grabbed a last minute deal to Alpe D'Huez. We are going this Saturday. I have been looking at the snow forecasts and it looks pretty good for the time of the year. My question is, there seems to be lots of greens and blues low down but if they get wet, are there any greens or gentle blues higher up you can recommend?
Cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-03-06 21:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In general in AdH the runs get steeper the higher you go (exactly opposite to say Va d'Isere) so there aren't really any beginner slopes that I can think of above about 2200m. The snow should be fine on the main green runs above town though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Plake
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlanUK, hope the conditions are good as we're off there the week after you. I've kept a look out at the conditions for a while now and I don't think you'll have any problems finding some good snow on the blues. I went there 10 years ago and have vague memories of lots of gentle runs above the village and, as Plake says, some good testing runs from the top. The forecasts suggest a bit of fresh snow over the next few days as well.

But don't ski too much or too hard and wear it all away ... save some for us!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
masmith, I know what you mean, we check the conditions several times daily, how sad is that? We have skied for 10 years now but this will be the first time in France. I will try and save some snow for you.
Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AlanUK, That's very kind - thank you !

Where are you staying btw, I've seen some terrific offers for the place we're staying (Les Cimes) for next week, as low as £149 catered. Sadly we have to go Easter hols for kids so can't take advantage of these bargains.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
masmith, Thankfully, our kids are grown up and gone. We only booked yesterday (talk about last minute) There were a lot of offers, mind you there are quite a few extras to add on. We are staying at the Hotel Hermitage Half Board, Room with balcony free wine with evening meal, good location all for £900 for the 2 of us and that includes lift passes. The price is £640 just for the basic holiday in the Crystal brochure. We went to Salbaach in February and did everything ourselves for the first time. There were 7 of us, we booked the flights, arranged the transfer and the hotel which was the best we have ever stayed in, the food was unbelievable. The whole thing went like clockwork and I recon we saved over £200 pp. We will definately do that next year but it's not something you can do last minute.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went for the day last week, and loved it, didn't spend much time on greens or blues though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think I'll just piggy back this topic rather than creating a new one.

We're flying into Grenoble on an early charter, landing about 9am. Allowing time to collect baggage, board the coach and, potentially, wait for 'other flights', followed by a relatively short transfer, we're rather hoping to be in Alpe d'Huez and on the slopes my midday, or shortly after.

Has anyone been on one of these early flights into Grenoble this year and gone on to Alpe D (leaving Manchester 06:25). What time did you arrive ? It's been a while since we've done a TO holiday so not sure if we're being too ambitios - would have no worries if we were DIY and driving etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
masmith, We often wonder if we will be in resort in time to ski the first day but it never seems to work out when it's a TO holiday. There always seems to be a delay for one reason or another and the transfer always takes longer than expected. You will also need to buy a day pass for the Saurday which may not be worth it if you are only going to get an odd hour or so. There is such a huge difference with DIY, we were in Salbaach in Feb all done DIY and the difference was amazing, we collected the baggage, the driver was there as arranged and we were on the road in minutes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has anyone ever stayed at L'Escapade with Skiworld? Am going next week so hope its OK!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The conditions here are really good - yes it gets a little soggy in the afternoon on the much lower slopes but to give you an idea - you can still ski down to Huez at 1450 without risk to your skis!!

More snow due this Friday, not a bad day today so fingers crossed for you.

The glacier has been opened up (about 2 years ago) and there are some much more gentle runs up there now; 2 blues and 2 reds!!

AlanUK incidently you can go last minute on DIYs - give me a shout next time if you like ADH!

sarep, L'Escapade has recently been done-up (its in a great spot with fab views right on the piste), I've not been there but I know the resort manager and I'm sure you should have a good week!

Enjoy to you all!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AlanUK, I know what you mean. Typically in the past when we have been on TO holidays we have flown at approx. 8am followed by a longer transfer to resort and, as you say, it's not really been worth putting your skis on the first day. In fact if you have members of your party hiring equipment it can often be a bonus just to get that out of the way on the first day so you're not wasting time on the first 'real' day.

But I was just wondering, with the 2 hours earlier start, coupled with a transfer of only 1 to 1½ hours, surely (!), even allowing for the inevitable TO induced delays, we would be there in reasonable time. With the even the worst of organisation I would find it difficult to take more than 4 hours to get from Grenoble to Alpe d'huez (poor weather apart).

So am still hopeful !!

sarah@alpedhuez, Couldn't ski down to 1450 when I was there 10 yrs ago so that would be a bonus. How is the run that is used for night skiing holding up?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, Signal is still looking good - and in the evening for the night sking its fine as its had time to get a little 'crunchy' again after the afternoon.
Honestly conditions are great at the moment!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah@alpedhuez, wish i had known before we'd booked, but we got such a good deal, i think it would be hard to beat even DIY, but if this turns out to be "our" resort, we will be in touch. masmith, Well we are flying to Lyon, 7am. supposed to be same time transfer as yours, although different airport, but it says 2 1/2 to 3 hours!!! and as there is a flight taking off 30 mins later than ours, i just know we will be sat about waiting for them to arrive!!! So we usually write the first day off, as masmith, says, gives you time to sort hire stuff out, lift pass, give the resort a quick look over and unpack. I don't think we would have the energy having got up at 3am to think about skiing that day!!
latest report
Quote:
I don't think we would have the energy having got up at 3am to think about skiing that day!!

But that's what makes a snowhead Very Happy
snow report
Hi all,

Check out the reviews at http://www.ifyouski.com/resorts/View/?ObjectID=230004&Template=Survey.

Do they sound familiar?

I am interested to know as I have a very tempting deal to go there but the reviews are a bit off putting.

cheers.
snow report
AlanUK, Grenoble is much closer to ADH than Lyon; you will probably pass through the city on the way there (unless your TO has to pick up from Chambery Evil or Very Mad) So I'm afraid masmith, has a pretty decent chance of glisser la premiere journee
ski holidays
TallTone wrote:
AlanUK, Grenoble is much closer to ADH than Lyon; you will probably pass through the city on the way there (unless your TO has to pick up from Chambery Evil or Very Mad) So I'm afraid masmith, has a pretty decent chance of glisser la premiere journee

this is actually not true. on clear roads there is about 20-30mins difference between the airports

kevins1966, what do you want out of a ski holiday? that might give a better idea of whether it is for you. i actually like the place a lot but my requirements may be different from yours
ski holidays
kevins1966, having booked to go to ADH principally for skiing I started looking at what else it has to offer and was pleasantly surpised. You can buy a Visalp lift pass which gives access to the sports centre, ice rink, indoor and outdoor pools as well as many other attractions such as museums etc. All the info on the ADH website, let me know if you can't find the link and I'll dig it out.

In addition there's (reputedly) quad biking (on snow), ski-ddoing, ice driving etc etc, quite a bit more than you tend to find in your averyage "ski" resort.

The lift pass also entitles you to a day's skiing in Les 2 Alpes which is about an hour away by bus or just a few minutes in the heli-taxi, cost is about £40 return I think - it's a must do for me having never been in a chopper.
snow report
Arno, apologies, my experience is limited. But I guess when the autoroutes are clear that would make sense... Then again, when do TO buses ever speed along? wink
snow report
masmith, Don't miss out on the chopper - its a great trip but book early as they can often get booked up and be aware that they only fly on Weds, Thus and Fris!

In addition to the activities you mentioned there is also:

Paragliding
Microlite
Hangliding
Diving under ice in the lakes at altitude
Very comprehensive sports centre which has a huge range of activities
Curling - not to be missed for 4.60 euros per person!! Seriously good fun for a group!

A not to be missed thing to do (aside from the others and ps the skidooing whilst more expensive in the evenings it is the best time to go as all off-piste at dusk with no speed limits!! but try either the off-piste Combe de Loup down to the Refuge in the Col de Sarenne or get there by ULM for lunch and grab a skidoo on the way back - the whole lot for about 100euros to include everything)!!

Enjoy!
Ps snowing at the mo!!
latest report
sarah@alpedhuez, thanks, tried emailing the heli company (can't remember it right now but got their email off the ADH web site) but they haven't responded - is there any other way to book that you're aware of or do we need to wait until we get to resort ?
snow conditions
I'd book when in resort - they need to be pre-paid anyway. You can either go up to the Alitport and do this directly but without a car it is a bit of a hike if you miss the bus so you can book and pay at the Delta Evasion stand at the bottom of the Signal lift (next to the big cable car The DMC) They are the paragliding/hangliding team who are affliated with the SAF (helicopters) and they can do the booking - just on the day don't forget to take your ADH lift pass with you as this gives you your free days pass! If all else fails call Pamela who speaks good English and is the secretary for the SAF 0033476806549!
ski holidays
sarah@alpedhuez, thanks. Curling sounds fun too .....
snow report
How do you pre book the chopper rides? Do they have a web site? We are going to ADH on Sunday and would love to go.

Whats the weather like there at the moment, were getting mixed reports. Puzzled
snow conditions
Not, perhaps, of use to you, AlanUK, at least for a few years, but for good skiers there are many huge and wonderful off-piste routes very remote from any piste: several whole valleys in fact. But to be safe (and to find them) you absolutely have to have a guide.
ski holidays
rickyday33, see the message 2 above yours from sarah@alpedhuez - no doubt will bump into you in the queue !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks MASMITH, hope you have a great time and the weather is good for noth of us!!
snow conditions
Hi there, AlanUK’s other half here reporting back. Anyone interested in a first impression of Alpe D’Huez and the Hotel L’Hermitage here it is, not a very positive report I’m afraid.

The green runs in this resort are great, although technically they are all running down the same mountain area just, split by different lifts, but none the less, great confidence boosters and large beginner area. Reds I’m told were fine, and plenty of them, and for those that like blacks and off piste, it must be heaven having looked down on it from the glacier lift. The lift system is 2nd to none, very good, even has baskets that carry you from the town to the lift system. Weather was changeable, boiling hot first 2 days, typical spring conditions snow wise, then it snowed, bad visibility for 2 days, lots of rein at resort level. Then sun came out again on the last day. But no one can control this, so no complaints there.

This was our first venture to France, and I am sad to say it will be our last, sad because I know there are many French-resort fans on this site, that will wonder why. Firstly, this has to be the ugliest resort we have stayed in, perhaps not the ugliest in France, but by Austrian and Italian standards (where we normally go) this was ugly. Very spread out, more like a city than a skiing village/town, local population we were told is 45k so perhaps that explains the size. No ambiance or real aprè ski ‘feel’, in fact I’d go as far as to say it felt soulless. The public toilets were a disgrace, and to add insult to injury they charged to use them even at the lift stations!

The second reason for resisting the temptation to return is, we have never had to pay so much, for so little. We have been hearing for years how expensive France is, but never really thought it could be so expensive ie £10 for 2 small beefburgers, £3.80 for a can of coke and £9.00 for 1 pint of lager and a G & T, If you live in London, then I grant you that perhaps this seems average, but when shorts in the most expensive city night clubs in the North West, only cost £3.50, French prices seemed excessive to say the least. The barman told us that there is no need for these prices, the cost to them is no more than anywhere else in Europe, it’s just that if people are willing to pay it, they see no reason not to charge it. The bar staff admit that it has a negative affect, in that people definitely eat and drink less in French resorts than elsewhere, due to the cost. For us, part of the enjoyment of a skiing holiday is the lazy mountain lunches, the drinks before dinner with friends, and the night cap later on, but the prices in this resort were a constant inhibitor to this. We just felt we were being fleeced every time we sat down at a table. We also noticed that skiing gear was more expensive than in the UK, even the products that were French made. We usually find ski products abroad are cheaper than the UK.

Then there was the hotel, and I’m just glad that the holiday was a last minute deal, therefore below brochure price, because if we had paid the full price to stay in the Hotel L’Hermitage, (A Crystal Club Hotel) I would have thrown myself off the balcony in protest. It was dirty, tired, untidy and in need of a total refurbishment. The heating in the rooms had two settings, boiling hot or off, controlled only by the hotel mechanic, no automated timer for the boilers, and no thermostats in the rooms – seems the hotel owner doesn’t take much notice of guest’s constant complaints. Electric sockets were hanging out of the walls and the toilet had no window and no extractor fan. The ’lounge’ and I use that word loosely, consisted of 9 seats in the reception area. Unless you can stand the smoke-filled aprè ski bar attached to the hotel.

The food was acceptable, but finding clean pots to eat it off was a daily challenge, that’s if there were enough available. It would seem that whoever is responsible for multiplying guest numbers, by plates/cups/saucers required for the said numbers, must have used their fingers and toes to calculate, then got stuck!!! If you didn’t enter the dinning room immediately it opened for breakfast, you went hungry, as once the serving plates were emptied, 15 minutes later, they didn’t restock them.

This is a family orientated hotel due to the child care facilities offered, and reports were that the crèche and children’s club were very good, but it would have been good ‘dinning-room management’, to put families with young babies in the same part of the dinning room together, so that couples past the baby stage of their lives, weren’t faced with the spectacle of vomiting children first thing in the morning!

The staff I cannot complain about, they were very helpful, and did a sterling job despite poor facilities, and a hotel owner and tour operator that cared very little about customer satisfaction. The staff were the only plus point of the hotel.

So we shall go back to independent holidays, no matter how good the deal looks, and give France a wide birth. We maybe bias I know, but Austria and Italy seem to have it all.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 6-04-06 8:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

£10 for 2 small beefburgers, £3.80 for a can of coke and £9.00 for 1 pint of larger and a G & T

Where on earth were you eating? Shocked I've never paid those prices in Courchevel, let alone Alpe d'Huez.

Maybe you should try drinking smaller instead of larger. Laughing
ski holidays
I was there last week and although you can pay those sort of prices you can also eat and drink far more reasonably. To balance the prices quoted I also paid 5 euros for a pint of lager, 4.5 euros for 500ml of house wine and 19 euros for a very good 3 course dinner. Although it's far from the prettiest resort I liked it and staying at Les Bergers (where many of the apartments are) nothing is too far away. The slopes and lifts are excellent and I shall definitely return.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 6-04-06 8:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
sharon1953 wrote:
..If you didn’t enter the dinning room immediately it opened for breakfast, you went hungry...

Sounds pretty poor organisation - are you sure you weren't on the set of 'Allo 'Allo? Remember - don't mention ze vorr! Toofy Grin

sharon1953 wrote:
..£10 for 2 small beefburgers, £3.80 for a can of coke and £9.00 for 1 pint of larger and a G & T...

Crazy prices - these must be in Euros, surely ...? Puzzled
ski holidays
Lizzard, The drinks were bought in the hotel apre ski bar, reported to be cheaper than outside the hotel, and we bought food at the first drop off of the DMC lift, 5 euro for a re heated slice of pizza, and also bought food equally as expensive at the base of the lifts. So no posh restaurants! (typing error now corrected wink )
snow report
Red Leon, nope, this was the conversion rate to pounds last week!! Never usually bother converting on holiday, as you accept that tourist prices are the norm, but we couldn't believe them, so checked everything. Colin B, In my book 5 euro (£3.50) for a pint is very expensive, at least it is compared to UK, Italy and Austria. I hate to think how much the holiday would have cost had we gone self catering! When we chatted to other people in the hotel they seemed to think these prices were "reasonable" for France - that says it all.
snow report
sharon1953, Granted France is no longer as cheap as it was since introduction of the Euro. Beer in bars has never been cheap, bizarre given that they almost give it away in supermarkets, better to stick to wine, etc. Self catering in ADH wasn't actually too expensive. Snacks near the slopes were pretty expensive but you could get a decent 3 course meal in town for only a few euros more and you could always keep a few beers in the fridge in the apartment.
snow report
Colin B, I'm not much of drinker really, just like the odd glass of lager at lunch and perhaps another at dinner, and I don't drink wine, but when I do want to eat or drink, I don't want to do it in the knowledge that I am being taken for a ride!! Everyone has to earn a living, and profit is what commerce is all about, but value for money is what brings the paying customer back time and time again; otherwise, a resort has to be offering something above average to justify the expense, and this resort doesn't. They could do with some street cleaning too, never seen so much litter in a ski resort - perhaps the standard in Austria is higher because the Germans who holiday there, don't accept sub-standard service or food, whereas the Brits are reluctant to complain in case they offend!
snow report
I'm off to Alpes D'Huez tomorrow. How are conditions? Any fresh snow?
ski holidays
kevins1966, i will refer you to my trip report from last weekend:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50631

so, yes, there is no shortage of snow snowHead
ski holidays
kevins1966, providing you can stay above 2500m in the afternoon or get out early in the morning the conditions are really very good for this time of year. Montfrais is excellent mid-morning and the restaurant Les Aurelles is not to be missed (mention my name) and you may get one of their famous home made Raspberry vodkas to kick-start your afternoon.

sharon1953, What a shame you had such an awful impression of the resort. Whilst I do agree that we are not in a typical pretty Austrian resort there are plenty of other things going for it. As for the prices you quote especially from the hotel bar - they are known to be one of the cheapest places in town so I am troubled by the prices you ahve mentioned!! There are plenty of great little restaurants in the town and on the slopes that whilst perhaps not the cheapest around in the Alpes certainly not the most expensive and offer good food and service - I would suggest asking the locals (not the hotel staff) for their favorite haunts for food and you will no doubt find the best place to go. The shop across the road; Sport 2000 would have given you a heap of good suggestions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy