Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any good links for better ski technique

Poster: A snowHead
I'm an improving intermediate looking to read a bit of theory before skiing this time so I can understand the "science" rather than take instruction at face value.

...so does anyone have links to good reading on the subject. I'm especially interested in linked parallel turns, controlling speed on steep slopes and pole work.

I realise that people do what they feel comfortable or what works for them but I'm quite a logical person so it generally helps me learn if I can visualise what I'm supposed to be doing when I do it until it becomes second nature.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try this:

A Guide To Becoming An Expert: From First Time To A Lifetime by John Mukavitz

http://skinow.net/100_pg__book.htm

Note this was written in 1998, so some techniques might be outdated. I read it before going skiing for the first time, and I think it was useful.
snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/online-tips.htm

Gives some brief but helpful clips from his dvd's
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More clips, and a lot of explanatory text (also from Warren) in our Skiing Technique section.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pokemon, You should try to get anything by Phil Smith. Try www.basi.org.uk - I don't know if everyone can access their online shop, but they have some good stuff there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
pokemon, You should try to get anything by Phil Smith.

This is a pretty good video from Phil Smith. No fancy exercises, but a clear and simple explanation of skiing basics. Recommended. I think you can also buy the Central Theme video/manual from BASI that easiski mentioned (which Phil Smith seemed to be largely responsible for).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's an excellent link for better skiing. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick Zotov, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies

I'm off the Courchevel 1650 on Saturday to put theory into practise
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For some really excellent ski tips, check out www.skitelevision.com , and then look under "personal performance tips" by Rob Butler. Rob has been doing outstanding instructional work for many years, and many of his best tips are listed here. One word of warning is, that sometimes the writing on the website is a bit flawed, as it is transcripted from the origonal video segments. But the occasional misquote is easily identifiable.

One way to get the most out of Rob's work,, is to buy the DVD. It is really excellent, with tons of visual illustration and demostration. I will likely wear my copy out,, watching it over and over again,,, I highly recommend it.
Catmandu
PS: Just to be clear,, no I am not affiliated with Rob Butler, or Ski Television. Just greatful that I have benefited from these tips, in my efforts to reach my own skiing potential. I am sure they may help U2.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah yes, Rob Butler.

Saw him ski here once in Whistler. They guy sure can move his feet well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi V,

His DVD is shot in Whistler. How awful, that you guys have to ski in a place like that !!

wink
Cat
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Catmandu,

welcome to snowHead

my outlaws live near Barrie - Collingwood, which has a tiny ski hill all of its own (Blue Mountain)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks,, poma,,

This seems like a great forum. I have a place in Wasaga Beach, near Collingwood. And I ski at Blue, once or twice a week, during season.

Biggest regional hill that we have,,, so we make the most of every turn,,
Catmandu
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
aah! my children love the waterpark at Wasaga. I love the beach and swimming in that lovely WARM lake!
snow report
pokemon, if you want a description of ski technique based on physics and mechanics, you can do no better than Bob Barnes' Encyclopedia of Skiing - you can browse through some of the pages at this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0966913159/104-2053652-0537535?v=glance&n=283155&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
Not to mention Ron LeMaster's excellent book, "The Skiers Edge"

Catmandu wrote:
Hi V,

His DVD is shot in Whistler. How awful, that you guys have to ski in a place like that !!

wink
Cat

It's terrible!. I'm still skiing at the moment, we have a base of 2.5m!

I also went heli-skiing 2 weeks ago, fresh light boot top/knee depth powder.

snowHead
snow report
Well,,,,,,, skiing is almost as good here,,,,, U just have to get a lot of air to make it to the bottom (and then walk back up !!!).

http://webcams.bluemountain.ca/control/simple.html?p=bad

Enjoy the great spring conditions,,,, I am jelous !!
Catmandu
snow conditions
Catmandu, Even worse - checkout the photos on the LDA snow reports ... nothing running and much too far to walk to the nearest "base" snow.. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Found this book pretty good when it found its way into my Amazon basket last year

http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/getbook.php?isbn=007140841X&template=

The best chapter is obviously the one which enables you to blame it on your gear Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy