Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Difficulty of the Verbier Mont Fort black run?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, I have just booked a trip to Verbier for next season(feb) and just researching runs etc...I am a 30 week level 7/8 skiier and wondering if i should attempt the famous black run from the Mont Fort Cable car. I like a challenge but do not want a' If you fall you die'! type run.I certainly dont want to be someone who should not be there!! Any ideas or direct experience...Thanks. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No worries for someone with your experience. Skier's right is the more demanding descent, but still shouldn't worry you. The IYFYD bits are on the back side and you wouldn't want to attempt those for a first time without a guide. For someone like you it may be worth getting a guide for a day to get the most out of the awesome terrain there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have to remember that steep black runs can vary enormously depending on the conditions. With good snow if you have the ability level you say you have, you will be quite safe.

On the other hand if the slope is warn and icy it should still be within your capabilities however, one of the best bits of advice I believe that was ever given to me was "If you are considering a slope like this (we were looking at the possibilities of another particularly steep run at the time) think what the consequences might be if you fall". That is the question I suggest you ask yourself when you take a look at the conditions when you get there.

It's a long time since I was in Verbier so I do not remember the orientation of the Mont Fort slope, but at this time of year you want to be aware if it's a slope where the sun melts it in the afternoon and then it freezes overnight, making it treachorous first thing the next morning. Time of day can be important as well if you decide you want to ski it.

So my advice is not to commit yourself until you have had a look at it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks a lot guys....got plenty of time to think about it!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a competant novice, and I skied it with no style and no falls. Would love to go back. I'd say if you fell you wouldn't slide far as you'd bump into the moguls. Same with Tortin, though that is a bit hairy at the top.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I skied it (the marked run) many years ago when I was probably a low intermediate. I can't pretend to have done it with any panache, but I didn't fall, and never felt as if I would. I recall it being steep and bumpy. There was plenty of fresh snow on it, which I imagine was critical to it being fairly straightforward.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A friend tells me he saw someone go all the way down ....I'll say no more...but I did it with no more than 7 weeks and its one to tick off at that stage. I haven't been back since but IIRC looking down, the left side is less steep and expect the top to be the hardest..might even have to side slip a few mtrs. You probably will not ski it with your best turns but it is just another steep black. Have a look at it from the cablecar and if you really don't fancy it, you can take the car back down again. It will be your call and your call only.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And just to say, as with all these things..and they are relative.... you'll do it only if you fancy it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did it in my second week. I fell once when I hit a band of ice. Didn't fall far before I hit a bump. Most difficult thing was trying to get back up the six feet or so to my ski as it was so icy in that spot. Did the rest of it (relatively) okay though. I remember a very narrow and tricky run in to the start. Cannot remember how steep it is compared to other runs but I would say the main problem was the many icy areas. I guess like any run it can change so much.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I also once watched someone bounce most of the way down it. Didn't seem any worse for the experience other than that he left his skis at the top! The left side (as you look down) is definitely easier than the right.
If the snow is good (i.e soft) then you shouldn't have any problems, but I would reconsider if it's icy.

Do they still charge extra for the Mont Fort part of the resort? I always thought that was a bit outrageous.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PantherX50, go up on the cable car, and if you don't like what you see, come down on the cable car.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Lawrie, when I was there a couple of years ago, we didn't have to pay extra. Now, I would reconsider if it was icy. Ice is just not fun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Lawrie, Mont Fort is not in the Verbier sector, so you have to upgrade if you only have a Verbier pass.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tim Brown, I must have had a 4 valleys pass then.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
conor, yep.
snow conditions
30 weeks experience!!!!!!!!! You should easily be able to get down anything. If the worst comes to the worst just slide down on your edges. I've 10 weeks experience and never come across anything overly challenging. Was with a mate in Zermatt in february and he had one weeks experience. He could get down all the blacks they had to offer, without any problems. Maybe not in a totally "stylish way" but more than capable.
snow conditions
Tim Brown, it's a while ago now, so not sure, but we definitely skied the whole of the four valleys and had to pay extra to do Mont Fort. Maybe things have changed.
latest report
Mike Lawrie, if you have the four valley's lift pass then you do not have to pay a supplement for Mt Fort. If you have the Verbier lift pass you do have to pay a supplement, not just for the Mt Fort Cable car but also for the cable cars from La Chaux to Col de Gentianes and Tortin to Col de Gentianes which you go up to get to the bottom of the Mt Fort cable car. As well as other lifts further away in the four valleys. Full details are available on www.televerbier.ch
ski holidays
Skied it twice 6 years ago. The first time fell on my second turn and slid on my back for what seem like a couple of hundred feet (I remember laughing as I was sliding and even had the presence of mind to call to a mate that I would "see you at the bottom Dave"). Of course had to go up and try again and I managed it without falling but probably didn't look to stylish. Great fun but very dififcult (for me) however the view from the top of the cable car is pretty spectacular.
snow report
halfhand, I agree about the view. One of the best I've seen I think.
snow report
PantherX50, see for youself:

Not too difficult, personally speaking, but I believe someone broke their neck there the week before we arrived - bounced all the way down
snow report
Try Tortin and Gentianes first - although they're itineries they're not as steep - just much longer. If you can manage them fine Mont Fort is prob only a small step up.
latest report
Kit Wong, Fabulous picture, I'd almost forgotten how beautiful it looks. snowHead
snow report
xyzpaul,
Quote:

steep black runs can vary enormously depending on the conditions

I skied (!) it just the once, wiht blue ice on the downslope of every mogul. It wsas the most frightneing thing I have ever done. 2 people died on it on the week we were there. It gets narrower towards the bottom as I remember, and steeper, so once you start falling stopping is difficult and avoiding the rocks paramount.

Never again
snow conditions
Martin Nicholas, I don't remember it being that bad. Main thing I remember was the ice.

Kit Wong, love the picture. Makes the run look really steep. The track leading to it doesn'ty look as difficult as I remember though; I remember it consisting of large 'steps' to ski down.
snow report
I skied it on my 5th week on skis. Looking at that pictire I think how. I remember the lip being the worst part. from memory stick left. In fact when I was there i think the left hand side was graded red possibly the most misleading run grade ever
ski holidays
fantastic picture! I want to go there now....
snow conditions
Toofy Grin So many answers....think it looks good...thanks for all of the replies!!(Depending on the conditions of course!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Years and years since I went there but seem to remember the Tortin Bumps were good too.

Meg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy