Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder

Poster: A snowHead
How deep was the deepest powder you ever skied?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm never sure when deep snow becomes powder in the truest sense. I'd hazard at thigh-deep perhaps. Certainly knee deep anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied powder that seems bottomless - no idea how you'd measure the actual depth.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
>70cms (apprantly), but sank no deeper than much over the knee
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I once skied powder in Col de Tende that was so deep you couldn't feel the base and you had to sort of swim turn in it. I fell, lost a ski and found it came up to my waist! Very bizarre experience for european skiers!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done the men's downhill at Lake Louise with powder up to my thighs... granted I am only 5'4"! Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What does it matter? These days, on fat skis, you'll only ever notice the top 20cm or so.

Just for the record, I had a couple of pitches in Les Gets last year (March I think) where it was about 70-80cm or so (measured with ski pole). The wind had just deposited it quite nicely... I don't think I've skied anything any deeper than that (shame). And yes, I would hav remembered!

conor, I wasn't aware depth had any part in the definition of "powder"?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This isn't the deepest, but you'd need to ask Mr Gledhill about the length of his ski poles...

http://photos.wtfh.com/album/Epic%202006/slides/43.html
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
St Anton Jan 2005, it was minus 25 Deg C the powder was very light (Champagne Powder).
Sank down to between waist and chest.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whistler, Ealry march 2006 - pushed my 115cm ski pole all the way into the snow. Deepest I ever felt it was mid thigh, descending the bowl to skiiers right of Flute Nose, but I couldn;t feel the bottom so it may have been deeper.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thigh high powder on steep pitches takes some nerve when you sink into it. Only two examples; in LP last year and skiing down into Cervinia from Zermatt into a bowl which I've never found again. And I've been in knee high cement which you could see melting... Impossible to ski that IMV
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, That would be Snowbird 2006 then snowHead

Not really their usual extra fine powder, so I'm told, but it was deep and powdery in my opinion.

Those poles are 130's (cut down a little) and they didn't touch the bottom even when I pushed the handles below the level of the snow. The day before spyderjon and I were having swimming lessons in Mineral Basin after we fell off our skis very close to each other. We were easily waist deep, it took me ages to reach my ski which was only about six feet above me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last year at Klosters (early Feb) we had one pitch of about 30-50m where it came up to somewhere between hip and waist, and got that bottomless bouncy feeling. Only time I've felt that - but it was v. nice (although tempered by the little voice screaming in my head "don't fall now!" ) Very Happy Very Happy .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you fall how do you stand up?. How do you put a ski back on?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FTS, with extreme difficulty...unless you can find a passing snowman to stand on! If the ski comes off (and don't have a tracer on it), you could be there for hours trying to find it.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, with difficulty, some bindings are better than others when clipping back up after a fall in powder, IMO Looks are the easiest.
snow conditions
David@traxvax, I shalln't venture into deep as I am not blessed with good Looks.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, get yourself some Rossis then - for people without Looks, but all the same!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
If you fall how do you stand up?. How do you put a ski back on?

Cross your ski poles and hold them with one hand where they cross in the centre. Use the poles as a base to push yourself up - it works a lot better than you would think.

Put the tail of the ski in the snow so the the ski is ca half way between 45 Deg & vertical. Make sure your bindings and boots are as free from snow as possible. Put your toe in the binding toe piece then push your heel sharply into the heel piece of the binding. If you are successful the boot will click into the binding.
Repeat with other boot & ski.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, much better to have good luck than Looks!
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Cross your ski poles and hold them with one hand where they cross in the centre. Use the poles as a base to push yourself up...........

.........then cry/laugh at the cross shaped hole that just appeared around your shoulder Laughing Sad
latest report
OK here is another question: What size fats would I need to float in powder (125kg Butt Naked)
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, depends on how fast you're going to be moving, if you go faster you float more.

If you're a tinner like me you'll be going fairly slowly, so need a bit of girth. I'm 85kg and have gone for 89mm after being advised not to go fatter for my first fat ski. I'd guess a wee bit fatter for you, but a fair bit longer too. I'm on 178cm.

Don't go bollock naked either, the snow rolls up yer leg a bit you know. wink
latest report
marc gledhill, Would 3 skis help? Shocked
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, the only answer in a snowboard......on each foot wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
marc gledhill, Would 3 skis help? Shocked

Boasting again I see Laughing
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, K2 Pontoons are pretty close to snowboards, only with a bit of shape to them...
latest report
marc gledhill wrote:
DB wrote:
Cross your ski poles and hold them with one hand where they cross in the centre. Use the poles as a base to push yourself up...........

.........then cry/laugh at the cross shaped hole that just appeared around your shoulder Laughing Sad

Works for me, haven't found a better way of getting up in powder. But I am a bit lighter than you Razz .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, I know it's the correct way to do it, but I was having a right old time getting it to work earlier this year.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,

Sounds like you fancy it then..have to see if we can get you some at the EOSB.

P.S don't confuse Powder with Off-piste. IMO a snowplough will get you through powder sometimes, but off-piste can be any kind of junk..and a whole different ball game. I know plenty of good skiers who don't go anywhere near that sort of stuff...!!
snow conditions
How did I get up? Strong abs!!! Fell down again as soon as I put my spare foot down though! The snow we were skiing was about mid-thigh - top thigh as you skied it. Poles don't count it's the depth you ski that counts. Very Happy JT, Perhaps a skwall on each foot for FTS??? rolling eyes
snow conditions
"conor, I wasn't aware depth had any part in the definition of "powder"?"

David Murdoch, bad wording on my part Embarassed I wa strying to say that I have skied deep snow that I have referred to as powder, but in retrospect was literally deep snow. When I think of powder, I think of extremely light and dry snow that is so easy to turn in you don't need to worry about keeping the skis afloat. But that's just me.
ski holidays
conor, I agree - the deepest snow i have skied certainly wasn't powder - fresh but heavy snow which was a55 deep at the top of the Grands Montets. You could point your skis straight down the fall line on a pitch next to the Point de Vue run (a reasonably steep black run for those who don't know it) and not start moving unless you jumped forward a few times. I have also found myself that deep in rotten snow, which was extremely unpleasant. Almost impossible to ski, and I did not want to be there at all because it felt like it could slide Mad
ski holidays
Thigh deep (80cm ish) & light in Engelberg last year and again in certain spots Tahoe this year.

In slightly heavier snow I have barely made it down a US alleged single black diamond straightlining.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy