Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone done Hintertux in mid May?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm taking my wife to Hintertux on May 13th for one week. We're only going this late because this is a special treat for out 15th wedding aniversary on May 18th. ( Very Happy 3rd ski trip of 2006 !! Heyhey !!).

Question is: how much piste is likely to be open? Just the 20km they use for mid summer skiing or could it be much more? The Tux website says 60 - 70 km Oct - May, but I think they mean late Oct to very early May for that.

Has anyone been there in mid to late May, with info to add fuel to my anticipation? Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, regularly for May half term until the kids exams started......The whole piste on the glacier is open above the tuxerferherhause (i.e. the Glacier) which is enough to play on for a week, as long as you are not a milage bagger and are content to be in the mountains and enjoy the most fantastic views. If it is a very good season you might get down to the Sommerberg, but that is a pretty tall order. However you will see the valley just as all the wild flowers are coming out, it is absolutely stunning, there are some really beautiful walks on the mountains, the gondolas will get you up and if you have never experience the mountains in the spring it is well worth the visit.

You are best off regarding it as a mountain holiday with the bonus of being able to do some skiing. Where are you going to stay?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lorraine:

Thanks for that. We're staying in Lanersbach (Hotel Pinzger). 10mins on Sportbus, although we have a hire car, too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lannersbach is a lovely little village, have been there before? There is an Alpine museum that you can walk up to from there, they do authentic Tyrolean food and drink.....you will need it if you make the hike!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not stayed at Lanersbach, but have skied to there from Mayrhofen, many times, to get the bus to Hintertux.

This trip is really about boosting my 'relatively novice' wife's confidence, with a bit of relaxed piste cruising in the morning, and then doing a bit of other touristy stuff in the afternoons, so walks to mountain museums and huts will be very nice. Really, I'm secretly hoping this trip will be the one that really hooks her, and we can stay on the snow all day! Toofy Grin Twisted Evil

Talking of confidence boosting, my wife had a lesson this morning on a 'rolling ski simulator' at Realli Ski in Canterbury, www.realli-ski.co.uk, and it was great. They had her not just parallel turning, but really carving Shocked , in 10 minutes. 3 weeks at ski school never managed to get her out of a snow plough!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was on the glacier on Monday and Friday.

Superb, best Ive known it. A couple of new lifts and general bits of upgrading.

The view of Operer from the roof of the third gondola is impressive and the blue runs under it simple enough to build confidence.

The Vogelnest cafe at the top is a lovely spot and good grub.

For a diversion there is also the Spannangel Hohle cave to explore, accessed from below the second gondola station.

The Tux1 pub opposite the bottom gondola station is worth a look - cavernous, all in wood including carvings on the walls, 4 bars and the most unusual loos in the Alps!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't know if I'd say that the glacier is a place for very nervous beginners......the blue runs on the Olperer are great but they are a 'T' bar not chairlift, because the tows are on the glacier itself (don't worry it is safe!). To get to them you need to come down from the other side of the mountain (they are opposite you as you come off the last Gondola). This is via a very steep red or go down part of another less steep red (as you come off the the gondola it is just below the summit and directly to your right under a T-bar lift), then traverse across another piste (which may not be accessible as it is ofen used for race training), back onto the bottom of the very steep red.

The run back down the tuxerfernerhause is a red, which has a fairly constant gradient but it is very wide so she should be able to come down that with some nice long traverses.

Don't go off piste though, a pistebasher fell down a cravasse a couple of summers ago! Having said all of that it is where my husband and I learn't to ski and I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to steep icey pistes Blush .

Quote:

The Tux1 pub opposite the bottom gondola station is worth a look - cavernous, all in wood including carvings on the walls, 4 bars and the most unusual loos in the Alps!

This is a must T-Dub!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry beeryletcher, just reread your posting and you have been there before so this is probably old news.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look here...

http://www.tux.at/?lng=e
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Lorraine:

Yep, I do know the runs there. I'll get her over to the Olperer runs, even if I have to carry her Confused . For some insane reason my wife prefers T-bars to chair lifts Shocked , so that aspect is fine. She'll be OK getting down a wide red (slowly). It's narrow stuff, where she can't see what's coming that upsets her most.

Actually, this was why I was asking if anyone knew how much might be open, as there are 3 blue runs and lifts around the Sommerberg area, but from your previous message these look 99% likely to be shut, although I see on my old piste map that one of these has snow cannon cover.

Cheers
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If the original clanky old 2 man chair is running from Fernerhaus its then its only 50 yards of pain down a steepish bit of red to red 11 ('Korridor') and red 3 (a road) which are both virtually flat (dont know why they arnt marked blue) so it's possible to then get over to the Kaserer blues (which may or may not be open) then back down to Fernerhaus nice and steady, without undue fear.

My piste map doesnt indicate which lifts run in summer though, maybe the tourist office can help

info@hintertuxergletscher.at
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks T-Dub:

I just checked my map and I like your route across to the Kaserer runs. Hadn't thought of that, because I've always taken the Gletscher Bus III right to the top before. I think all those bits will be open in May, and this should stop the missus damaging my eardrums!

Cheers
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Eardrums, yeah, know the feeling...

First took my then very timid missus up there in 1996. She got stuck, froze with nerves and eventually came down on a piste basher.
Next time up the weather was too arctic to ski.
Next time after that it was too stormbound to ski.
Ten years later we got up there last week to confront her nemesis. Magic, still very cautious but even managed the steeper red or two. Demons laid to rest. So good we went back later in the week.

Id agree with Lorraine that it isnt an easy glacier by any means.

Good luck, and your question has got me checking summer accommodation !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If the original clanky old 2 man chair is running from Fernerhaus its then its only 50 yards of pain down a steepish bit of red to red 11 ('Korridor') and red 3 (a road) which are both virtually flat (dont know why they arnt marked blue) so it's possible to then get over to the Kaserer blues

I forgot the Kaserer blues, they are perfect for what you want, but from our experience not always open in May. They are your best bet if they are as it avoids the traverse across to get to the Olperer and the red bit really is very short. When we were learning to ski, we did that route every day followed by a long walk to across to the Olperer runs because the race piste was being used by the Slovakian and Austrian teams for training. But the one thing that kept me going was that fact that by the end of the week I was bloody well going to ski across to the blues from what is now the top Gletscher station, I was not going to do any more walking! Even the pistebasher driver felt sorry for us and gave us a lift on the wednesday! Then there was the red run back (terrifying at the time). Infact I ended up taking sandwiches and a drink up so that I didn't have to come down until the end of the day!!! Constitution of a camel or altitude I didn't need a wee!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys, I'll just have to see what happens. Oh and I am not letting my wife read this thread, it'll put her off getting on the plane, let alone the glacier. Besides there is the old saying 'THERE ARE NO GREEN, BLUE, RED OR BLACK RUNS..............THEY ARE ALL WHITE!!!' Razz
snow report
Quote:

THEY ARE ALL WHITE!
... with the odd splash of red here and there. Toofy Grin

I've been there loads in May. Often had epic conditions and virtually all to myself. I think she'll love it.
ski holidays
Johnhill:

Wicked! That's the stuff I want to hear! (oh...not the red bit....just the epic bit!).

Cheers
ski holidays
went there for the second May bank holiday a few years ago .. first day was nice enough if a bit slushy down towards the middle station (the lowest you could ski) but then the mountain was closed for the rest of the time because of blizzard condtions at the top !!
latest report
RichA, now you come to mention it, it has also done that to me a few times.
ski holidays
i havent been there myself at that time of the year (spent 10 days there this feb though). a bloke in our hotel told me that he is going there every june for about a week. he said it's GREAT skiing on the glacier in the morning and he particular pointed out the kaserer area. he said that it's quite sheltered and kept fairly cool by the cliff face until midday. i guess however that he meant the ski-route 13 (red) and not the 12 (blue). the 13 was actually my favourite run there. great run (not groomed though) with spectacular views.

if you're into meety lunches, you may want to have a veal shank at the spannagelhaus (needs a day pre-ordering). it's too much for two though, you certainly need a third eater... wink

latest report
I just happen to be looking at this picture at a hungry time of day......gimme gimme gimme !

Cheers
snow report
Thanks all, the above is very reassuring as I was thinking of spending a long weekend there in early May. Has anyone stayed in or heard any comments for the Hotel Hintertuxerhof?
snow report
Bit overcooked for my liking - cut its horns off and wipe its a*se, i say. Pickled pork on the top looks good though. NehNeh
snow conditions
Paul, knowing your appetite, I'm sure you could finish it off without any help wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 23-03-06 19:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Shaun Hurlow, stayed there many years ago. It's 3 star I think. As usual very nicely turned out and food was the usual Austrian fayre. The place sits on it's own about a 5-10 min hike to the lift station. If you like tennis, they own the courts opposite and the weather is likely to be OK for a good slide morning and early pm followed by a good few sets of hard tennis in the setting sun. If you want to be right near the lift I recommend the Rindererhof or, a bit further away, the Neu Hintertux (both 4 star). The other place I'd go for is the Bad Hotel Kirchler (actually it's very good!) or the Sonne Apartments that they own nearby (fabulous apartments - nothing like you'd find in France). These two are around 1k from the lift in the more "villagey" (if you can call it that) part of Hintertux. Have a look on www.tux.at - it's all there.
snow conditions
Thanks John, I will look into the other places suggested.
ski holidays
I'd second JohnHill's recommendation of the Bad Hotel Kirchler, I've stayed there twice - very nice indeed, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, excellent food and very spacious rooms.
latest report
Of course i could shaun, and i'd leave no remnants. You got your thread about Hintertux eventually, though! Looks good - you going or what? Difficult not to on the basis of whats been said. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paul, getting info at the mo - see the email about details/prices so far and let me know if you want to join the party Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy