Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head Fast Thang v Fischer Vision 50

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
[Cross-posted on Epic]

Looking for some thoughts, folks, please

I've been trying all season to get demos on the above two skis as I quite fancy an ice/short radius ski to complement my Monster 72s (which I adore), but totally without success. Since it's the end of season sell-offs, it's very tempting to take a punt on one of these without a demo and simply flog 'em on Ebay if I don't like them - but obviously I'd prefer to buy a pair I'm going to like. Mr Eng has the Monsters paired with Supershapes which seems to be a perfect combination, but a) I'd like to try out some ladies' skis and b) nowhere but nowhere seems to stock the Supershapes in less than a 170 anyway

I'm reading fairly varied reviews Confused Some say the Fast Thang is something of a handful, that it will bite harder than the Supershape if you get it wrong, that it can become unstable at high speed, others that it's as smooth as butter, fast to boot and you don't necessaily need to have A+ technique all the time (mine suffers a bit when I tire). Reviews of the Fischer seem to be unanimously glowing, many say it's forgiving, but is it an ice ski, is it what I'm looking for? I also can't keep up with Mr Eng any more when he's on his Supershapes Sad

The Fast Thang seems to be in greater supply round here - is that trying to tell me something? I know I like my current Head skis, does that mean I'd likely prefer the Fast Thang over the Fischer? FWIW Mr Eng and I tend to like the same sorts of skis, he got to try the Fischer World Cup SC, thought there was little to choose between it and the Supershape, bought the Supershape owing to availability and a good deal. Does the same hold for the ladies' versions?

Is it likely to be simply a case of buy whichever is the best price and available in the right length? I guess I'm sort of worrying that I won't be able to handle the Fast Thang (for background, I tried a 5* that we think must have been fully tuned and scared myself witless at my total inability to control it), but the Fischer might be too similar to what I already have.... Do I take a chance on the level of ski of the Fast Thang but stick with a manufacturer I'm happy with, or do I take a chance on the manufacturer (bearing in mind Mr Eng thought they were not dissimilar) for what seems to be a more forgiving, versatile ski but which may not have the ice hold I'm after and may be too similar to what I already have?

I can handle most things on piste but not keen on steep ice, just beginning to venture into powder. Weight 67kg, height 1.68m (5'6"). Also length.... my Monsters are 156, in the past I've usually skied 160, but I'm inclining towards 155 if I'm looking at a high-level ski, am I barking up the right tree?

Any and all help and thoughts would be very much appreciated! (And apologies for the rambling, incoherent thoughts above!) Even if you haven't direct experience of these skis, any assistance in straightening out my thought processes and reasoning would help! Thanks in advance
eng
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't comment on the Fischers, but I loved the Fast Thangs when I demo'd them snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B, thanks for that. I'm actually inclining towards the Fast Thang since I totally fell for the Monsters. My only concern was whether it would be too much ski for me (after my 5* 'experience') but on thinking back I tried a Burnin Luv and Sweet Luv back to back earlier in the year and felt much more at home on the more advanced ski. I don't consider myself an "advanced" skier per se, but I'm around the top of the ski school levels.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the Supershapes in 170, am very surprised to hear that some reviews thought that the Fast Thang would bite harder than the Supershapes.

I know 3 girls that are skiing the Fast Thang this season, and they are very happy with the ski. Extremely versatile, good everywhere, including ice with a good tune and plenty of edge. Stuggles a little in powder due to the 62mm underfoot.

The flex pattern of the Fast Thang is definitely more forgiving than the 5*, you can ski it cruising, or if you put energy into the ski, it will give it back progressively.

Having said all that though, the ski I always reccommend women to try is the Head iXRC800. It's a little more versatile than the Fast Thang. Still holds an edge well, if it were me I'd got for the iXRC800 over the Fast Thang.

Once they demo this ski for a day, they all end up buying it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, veeeight, what you've said about the Fast Thang is very reassuring. The thing is I already have the Monster 72 which I find incredibly versatile, I'm just looking for something a bit faster, specifically on-piste, and for those really icy days; otherwise the Monster does everything I need. The iXRC800 would be too similar to the Monster, wouldn't it?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not similar at all!

117/66/101, r=14.5m (at 177)

That 66mm underfoot just makes it that bit more versatile in softer snow, as opposed to the 62mm of the Fast Thang.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy