Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sheep Club of GB

Poster: A snowHead
PG, I suspect I'm a little faster than you, sport. wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tim Brown, well I've got my flèche de vermeil (one short of the French ESF gold for skiing GS gates), so just how good is the mysterious Mr Brown, or is he all mouth? snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, I thought we were talking about off-piste. What are you like on bumps? You'd beat me through the gates for sure.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 24-03-06 23:31; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh f**k - and mine's bigger than yours! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been enjoying them greatly this season. Skied nothing else just yesterday in fact, and will be doing so again tomorrow morning.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand wrote:
Oh f**k - and mine's bigger than yours! Evil or Very Mad

I'm so glad I'm a girl and don't have one to wave around Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little tiger, oh I don't know, it can be fun! Very Happy

Back to the thread though, your comment about the advice from the Chamonix local echoes the sort of thing I hear right through the season from the Savoyards. I've got no qualms whatsoever saying that I have a huge amount to learn about the mountains. Any untrained, UK-based, two or three weeks a year skier who believes otherwise, is seriously deluding themselves. That's not my opinion, it's the unequivocal view of any lifelong mountain-dwelling guide, instructor or mountain rescuer you might care to ask.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would I accept a SCGB rep as being a qualification to ski off-piste? Not in a million. Would I ski OP with a SCGB rep? maybe, if I thought they could add something. I'd have to know them well and know what they could do, but straight out of the shop, I wouldn't expect to be any more clued up than the majority of people who do these type of things.

They might really know their stuff, they might not and being a SCGB rep wouldn't change that one bit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG wrote:
little tiger, oh I don't know, it can be fun! Very Happy

Back to the thread though, your comment about the advice from the Chamonix local echoes the sort of thing I hear right through the season from the Savoyards. I've got no qualms whatsoever saying that I have a huge amount to learn about the mountains. Any untrained, UK-based, two or three weeks a year skier who believes otherwise, is seriously deluding themselves. That's not my opinion, it's the unequivocal view of any lifelong mountain-dwelling guide, instructor or mountain rescuer you might care to ask.

yep - baby brother hauled enough butts out of and off mountains to read the riot act to most of his friends and relations re mountains.....

Funnily enough I have offers galore from qualified guides to take me with them - they all know that I won't be taking myself out there.... these guys are the first to push me to ski the in resort off-piste as much as possible (they know it is patrolled) and to do the front country as often as it is safe with experienced helpers etc... but they do not want me back-country unless I am with someone who knows their stuff VERY well... and as i said - our mountains have relatively low avy risk... it is all the other stuff that is an issue as well...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
edsilva, May I suggest a trip to Baqueira Beret with Ski Miquel, the resort is "advised" by intrawest and i the only european resort I know to have the idea of "in-bounds" and "out-of-bounds" skiing rather than just "on-piste" and "off-piste"
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt wrote:
the only european resort I know to have the idea of "in-bounds" and "out-of-bounds" skiing rather than just "on-piste" and "off-piste"

Tignes has recently (this season?) introduced a secured "in-bounds" zone.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk, yes I noticed that last season.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk, last season they had some pistses that were never pisted but still avalanche controlled and patrolled - but as I understand it, the whole doman at baqueira works that way. It's a few years since I was there though (5 - goshm, I must go back soon!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, last season they had some pistses that were never pisted but still avalanche controlled and patrolled - but as I understand it, the whole doman at baqueira works that way. It's a few years since I was there though (5 - goshm, I must go back soon!)

I'd like to see more of that, but I think that the size of some of the larger ski domains makes it impossible. I wonder if some of the smaller European ski stations would see it worthwhile investing in more "in-bounds" areas?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk, But what is meant by "inbounds"? We have a huge area of off piste skiing that's avalanche controlled, but it's not patrolled - does that count? I had spotted Tignes' area on their map last year, however it's quite small and must get tracked out within a couple of hours at best.
snow conditions
Would "inbounds" be like the Itineraires (sp?) i.e. largely unpisted and unmarked except for a general direction pointer?
latest report
nope, inbounds is avalanche controlled, patrolled, any incidents needing rescue are dealt with just like on-piste stuff
latest report
nbt wrote:
nope, inbounds is avalanche controlled, patrolled, any incidents needing rescue are dealt with just like on-piste stuff

Puzzled in which case, you mean yes Very Happy
latest report
halfhand wrote:
Would "inbounds" be like the Itineraires (sp?) i.e. largely unpisted and unmarked except for a general direction pointer?

no direction markers, not pisted at all - as I understand it, "itineraries" are either unofficial pistes or former pistes, in-bounds means simply that it;s within the ski are boundary, nothing to do with being pisted or having directions.
ski holidays
nbt, itineraries are sign posted, patrolled, and avalanche cleared in every resort that I've been to. Just not pisted.
ski holidays
Kramer, Most of our itineraries are not - they're marked on the map and avalanche controlled, but nothing else. OTOH there are a lot of descents here that are considered "normal" descents but are not (currently) marked on the maps - this year Grande Pente and Posettes are 2 which have always previously been marked. Then there's the east wall of the Fee, and north wall of the fee (to the side of the Selle piste which currently doesn't exist but is marked). The Belle Etoile wall of the Fee is marked itinerary both above and below the path to the cafe. The Echines de Chevre is described on the DAL website as an off piste itinerary run but isn't marked and is not avalanche controlled (neither is Chalance which is also marked)..... All very confusing.. Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
nbt, itineraries are sign posted, patrolled, and avalanche cleared in every resort that I've been to. Just not pisted.

My point exactly - in bounds in not necessarily any of those, except avalanche cleared
ski holidays
easiski, nbt, my mistake. Embarassed
ski holidays
there is another difference between itineraries and 'bowls'- which is width. With bowls usually being enormous- such as the Blackcombe Glacier rather than just piste width.

In Argentiere alot of the 'off piste' accessible from Bochard/Herse and round the corner of Pylones is like this- but is still off piste-

The naturide pistes in Tignes are itineraries (Paquarettes - which is good but really quite steep- the 'SPOT' (skiing the powder of Tignes - what would Chirac say to this Anglicisation) is not avalache controlled- which is why there is an ARVA training area at the bottom.

Any easy childcare in Baqueira Beret ??
snow conditions
Kramer, I don't think you made a mistake - just that it's not that clear from the European perspective. I would therfore suggest that in LDA the "inbounds" areas would be just off to the side of the red ( Laughing ) Thuyt bowl, and the face + the little off piste area at the petite Aiguille. All other off piste areas would be outbound as they're not sufficiently visible/patolled etc.
ski holidays
edsilva, That I'm not sure about, since it;s not something I have to worry about - Ski miquel are the only british tour ops to go there, so I would ask them in the first instance

http://miquelhols.co.uk
snow report
eeeh, that's cleared that one up then. Looks like I've opened a can of worms, sorry Confused
snow report
easiski wrote:
The term "farming" is also new to me, but not the idea. However the only snag is that you then have to ski someone else's rhythm and not necessarily your own.

Yes, indeed. I ski on Volant "Chubbs with very little sidecut and they naturally ski a longer turn. It is still good form on a narrow slope (and a good challenge) to ski tight to the other tracks, but often I do a double length turn, fitting alternate turns, and taking a bit more slope, but not all that much.
An alternative to the technique in the picture is to figure-eight, which does use up a bit more slope, but not much, and is even more of a challenge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As to the SCGB group skiing in each other's tracks, I imagine they were just very inexperienced off-piste and did it out of fear of powder.
PS here is another set of 3 first tracks in St Anton- not quite so tight, but there wasn't the need. (Sorry, they are behind our sticks and my friend Stuart).
snow report
I do read some of SH threads to Mr sb, and this is one of them. So when we stopped between Siviez and Veysonnaz for a coffee last week, he observes..... SCGB Rep and group arrive for a coffee, as one, they pile all their kit onto two adjoining empty tables and sit down. Then, as one they all get out their mobile phones and check for messages, the rep says "I don't seem to have any messages today, can one of you call me". There then followed a period of small talk, and again as one, the whole group (5) got out and applied their sun cream. Mr sb has expressed a hope that some activities could be completed independently, though he has since admitted contemplating digging a hole in the piste just to see what would happen when they skied off. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
snowball, just another example of skis being entirely dependent on the skier. I've done a couple of weeks on Chubbs and found they liked tight little turn radii. BUt I only had 170s and I'm little but aggressive so that may make the world of difference.

(mrs) snowbunny, oh my word I just fell off my seat laughing. Laughing Laughing
latest report
snowbunny, checking your mobe when you're hols, in synch or not, is sad, sad, sad. However, I only remember to think about sun cream when someone else does, and it does tend to be done at the end of a break, so perhaps they can be forgiven for that. Also, don't forget, these people are joiners-in, otherwise they wouldn't be skiing with a load of people they've never met. Perhaps they are like other social animals, such as ants, who react to stimuli invisible to the rest of us to perform tasks as one. It's not my cup of tea, but some people are obviously better adapted to sociable group living than I am.
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
snowball, just another example of skis being entirely dependent on the skier. I've done a couple of weeks on Chubbs and found they liked tight little turn radii. BUt I only had 170s and I'm little but aggressive so that may make the world of difference.

(mrs) snowbunny, oh my word I just fell off my seat laughing. Laughing Laughing
Interesting. Of course they can do tight turns, especially if you ski more slowly. But I think the design of Chubbs may have varied at various times - were yours about 116 ,83, 103, which is like the early, pre-carver bandit 2X? Quite stiff and very heavy (15kg). They are just great for smashing through crud, breakable crust etc. - so stable at speed.
ski holidays
richmond,
Quote:

snowbunny, checking your mobe when you're hols, in synch or not, is sad, sad, sad.

Then, I am a lost cause, as one day last week, whilst heading for the Plan-du-Fou cable car, I stopped to check the reason for one of my boobs vibrating Shocked ...only the phone rolling eyes ..And it was another snowHead Laughing
snow report
richmond,

Sounds like a snowHead bash...skiing with a load of people you haven't met...Don't knock it..!! Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy