Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sheep Club of GB

Poster: A snowHead
Just an observation from the one time that I came across the green jacket mob on my last trip. Why on a bluebird powder day did the group feel it necessary to follow the rep almost turn for turn like a bunch of sheep or ducklings following their mother? I can only assume they were reasonably advanced as they were on an advanced lift and bearing in mind it was the US safety concerns re off-piste hazards shouldn't really have been a factor.

The rep was even on a snowboard while the rest were skiing so it wasn't as if their natural turn pattern would be the same.

Anyone else encountered this strange behaviour? on a powder day I'd certainly want to be maximising my own fresh turns rather than getting sloppy seconds (except on runouts/flats of course)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stop giving them ideas...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch wrote:
Stop giving them ideas...

Correction. Obviously this was textbook behaviour ensuring maximum conservation of powder for all. If only we could all be such considerate sking citizens wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, farm the pow!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, It's known as the Lemming syndrome and afflicts many skiers the world over (thank goodness). Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, Jokes have been made about Rooney, you can't take the chav out of the lad and such like, but I'm sure the same applies to ski duckling folk. What is this thing about following the same line? Bust a move, cut a groove or some other 80s pop waddle.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saxabar, Rooney who? Most skiers slavishly follow others onto the piste ... it now seems that SCGBers slavishly follow the rep off the piste - all the more for those with a brain!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
actually I tend to agree with this, I skied a slope in Val D'Isere with Alpine Experience, we kept tracks a few foot apart, there were 6 of us, we left 90% of the slope untracked, around 6 other skiers/boarders trashed the whole slope behind us, when they could have left it and others could have got some decent tracks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gregh, you were farming. An entirely noble and correct activity. The others were poachers...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some of us still take great pride in 'farming' ie using as little of the slope as possible, it is such a pain when skiing off piste to hit another set of tracks.

As a guide I always try to make my group match my tracks, about 2 ft to the side of the previous skiers. Depending on the slope I can vary the tighness of the turns and I believe it is really good practice for those following to control their speed and turn radius to match that of others.

It realy pi@@es me off when a boarder or 'new school' skier takes out a whole slope of new snow with just a few high speed long radius turns. I can empathise with their 'thrill' but will always think it is bad manners!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a member and have every intention of skiing with a rep one day.

But I find it hard to follow the group in the way described, so I will need to improve my skills first.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the slope in question which was essentially right under the lift there was not a hope in hell of it being farmed - it was not "off piste" in the European sense and being cut up in all sorts of directions by people traversing to their favoured chutes etc.

I do question whether farming is even possible given modern powder technique - its certainly far more fun laying down big high speed GS turns in powder than traditional 8s. I can see the merits of 8s in hike to terrain. Surely the bad manners part in lift served terrain doesn't really come into it if you want it get in line for the lift earlier, obviously if you've had a long skin up and some-one overtakes you at the last minute then trashes the whole target slope that would be bad manners.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, where did this 'crime' take place, JH?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gregh,

Yep, you find your stash, ski your line and then go up and do it again and again, hopefully. In our group, its your round if you trash your buddies line...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The SCGB leader in Wengen made a point of telling us that we could pick our own track down the slope as long as be stayed behind her. This was on piste skiing mainly.
snow report
Hmm. Quite a few snowheads are also SCGB members - and the best SCGB members I have seen have been up to the best British recreational skiers I have seen ski anywhere. Of course, many others are quite average - different groups will have different standards. It is rather unusual for off-piste SCGB parties I have been in to go slavishly down in the same line - unless there has been some very special reason - like a guide saying do it or die. I am a little loathe to see snowheads taking pots at others' skiing (dangerous behaviour excepted) - why do it?

I can remember when I used to feel I had to put some balance into attacks on the SCGB in snowheads. I feel somewhat embarrassed to have to put balance on comment on this thread in the SCGB forum. Let's live in harmony, people Cool
latest report
I am loathe to name the location & it was not meant to be a direct criticism. The most touted reason to joining the SCGB is guiding and as a frequent solo skier it is the only thing that would entice me to join. Yet I rarely see a SCGB group in the sort of place I am skiing so coming across this one I thought I would watch them. I would say they were at least upper-intermediate to advanced level (maybe 7-8 on the slush & rubble scale) but what I saw was not a good advert for the SCGB to me. I would have lasted about 1 run before making my excuses.

Maybe I was overestimating the ability of the group members or they had previously exclusively been piste skiers either of which would have explained the behaviour. It just seemed oddly "British" behaviour when everyone else was tearing up the slopes like banshees.
latest report
fatbob, it's been explained over on the SCGB site, by the reps themselves, that each day caters for a specific standard.
latest report
fatbob,

The sarcastic title of your thread and your original post says more about you than it does about the ski club.
snow report
fatbob, surely if they want to ski like that, then it's not a problem?
snow report
Oh Boy! How is it that anyone can slag the ESF with impunity, but dare to criticise the SCGB and there's a minor outcry???? Puzzled Puzzled I've done the reps course, been a member all my young life, and now don't have any time for them. ESF any day!!!! At least they're qualified. AND THIS IS NOT THE SCGB FORUM - I STAY AWAY FROM THAT Shock
ski holidays
easiski, Well said, Its been said before and no doubt will have to be said again. Sad
latest report
easiski, bit tetchy innit? Are your feet still hurting? (How are the new boots settling down, BTW?) I think "minor outcry" is overstating it a bit. Anyway, I've spoken well of ESF tuition on snowheads. Indeed, one of the few instructors on a par with you for me was Gilles Galvani - also of LDA. But I quite agree with you that this thread is in the wrong section. I think the mods should move it.
snow conditions
This 'farming' thing is all news to me - as is pretty much all off-piste ski jargon Embarassed so I'm confused.

The first post in this thread ridicules skiiers for 'follow-my-leader' and others declare it 'bad manners' to ski your own line and somehow ruin the slope for others. Isn't it a fact that off-piste gets 'skiied-out' as a matter of course? Just how much consideration should each skiier individually give to other, subsequent users of the slope he's about to ski?
ski holidays
Red Leon, I think what some are trying to say is that you should try to keep your line fairly tight, adjacent to, but not over others' tracks. That way, you have fresh snow for yourself, yet also leave as much as possible for future sliders.
snow report
Red Leon (and anyone one else who;s wondering), In a vrigin powder field it;s considered good manners to keep your line as tight as you are able. While skliing virgin powder is wonderful, crossing lines can casue a slight jolt as you go from the resistance of the snow to the empty space where someone's skiied, back to the resistance of the snow - it's amazing jus how much that light, fluffy powder snow can slow you down.

Anyway, the idea is you stick to a single line, then the person floowing you skis just to the side, etc etc, and eventually (I'm guessing here) the analogy is that it looks like the furrows of a ploughed field. Once it's reached this state, then I would assume it's ok to start crossing lines as you;re not going to get an uninterrupted line anyway.

Until you;ve had the experience of skiing virgin powder, I'd guess that you wouldn;t be able to understand just why this is of such importance, but once you have, you will. As Cedric's signature tag says (said? - haven;t seen him for a while IIRC),

Quote:

Powder. It's like trying to explain sex to a virgin.
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
This 'farming' thing is all news to me - as is pretty much all off-piste ski jargon :oops: so I'm confused.

The first post in this thread ridicules skiiers for 'follow-my-leader' and others declare it 'bad manners' to ski your own line and somehow ruin the slope for others. Isn't it a fact that off-piste gets 'skiied-out' as a matter of course? Just how much consideration should each skiier individually give to other, subsequent users of the slope he's about to ski?

The farming terminology is news to me too but quite appropriate - as opposed to slash and burn practised by so called "freeraiders"

Two good reasons I can think for it. For example here Anny laid down some nice tracks down this slope which was restricted by small trees on one side and the hill on the other.

I followed her tracks down

this left room for the guy we saw following to make his own turns (he managed to leave room for another couple of people by following our tracks). I got an email that evening from the guy (who I have never met but who recognised us) thanking us for leaving him some room on the slope. Leaving space is just good manners. I don't really have a problem skiing slopes that have already been cut up but some people prefer to make their own tracks and I respect that if it is possible.

The other big reason is that slope cutting is a great way of triggering avalanches, you break the bonds with the snow above and the whole slope can go, this is how they used to avalanche control in the good old days. The slope may take you, it may take the group below you. Taking wide, variable tracks along a slope is also a great way to hit that trigger point that takes the whole slope and you with it (spatial variability), there is a good chance that if you keep tight to a previously skied line (and don't ski like a whale on crack) that the slope won't slide. This wasn't a problem for us as the low angled slope wasn't likely to slide - it was a high risk day which is one reason we were on this route.

Freeriders are in my bad books this week anyway. I was skiing down the fall line on Friday when a freerider dressed like robocop cut across the front of my skis on some weird "line" he was taking down the hill.

ps I don't have any comment on Fatbob's original post other than I think the Ski Club is setting itself up for a mega-lawsuit with its off-piste "repping".

-- edited for spelling

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 20-03-06 11:31; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
davidof,

Thanks for that.

The avalanche-avoidance bit makes loadsa sense and it sounds like good manners to leave some snow for others if possible / practicable given what NBT says about relative resistance etc. But it looks to me (from the photos) like you voluntarily surrendered your 'right' (dangerous word, I know) to ski fresh turns by following Anny's lines - can most people really be expected to be so generous?

Edit: typed FTS when I meant NBT Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red Leon wrote:
davidof,
can most people really be expected to be so generous?

I will be interested in others opinions... maybe this all ties in with the debate about people going off-piste before they have acquired good mountain skills?
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
I will be interested in others opinions... maybe this all ties in with the debate about people going off-piste before they have acquired good mountain skills?

I'd like other mountain users to respect my safety and enjoyment, so in all fairness I feel I should reciprocate. Skiing conservative lines through powder means that there is just that much more to go around, as well as the safety considerations that davidof explained.

This is a nice photo to illustrate the point from the Alpine Experience guys in Val d'Isere:
ski holidays
Not that I have any personal experience of skiing off-piste with the SCGB, but when I asked the rep in Sun Peaks a few weeks ago if he would take a group off-piste (we were talking about Europe), he said he would but would always hire a guide. I assume this is standard practice by the SCGB that should be followed by the reps (but I may be wrong).
ski holidays
PS Lovely photo rob@rar.org.uk!
ski holidays
Cathy Coins wrote:
PS Lovely photo rob@rar.org.uk!

It's not mine, it's from www.alpineexperience.com
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

I concur. the pseed with which people progress is great in terms of personal experience, but it leave s alot to be desired in terms of mountaincraft just in terms of piste skiing - to see such people off piste is quite worrying
ski holidays
The term "farming" is also new to me, but not the idea. However the only snag is that you then have to ski someone else's rhythm and not necessarily your own. By the time I ever get to it the hill's tracked out anyway, so cutting existing tracks doesn't bother me - I'm used to it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Nick Zotov, I wasn't getting at you particularly, but this idea that all other bodies can be criticised but not the SCGB - surely it's not me that's tetchy! Shock Oh and BTW - yes I do still feel very unhappy and hard done by over the ad business and leaving me off this year's discount list.
ski holidays
I wouldn;t necessarily follow the exact curves laid down by somone else - but would keep my tracks as narrow as possible, I think it's only polite as that's what I would hope other people would do.
ski holidays
nbt, Yes - but I don't think most of the freeriders would want to do twiddly little turns like the super photos wiuld they? I'm always getting told I turn too much - apparently I need fatter, longer skis to stop this tendency! Shocked Shocked
snow report
fatbob FYI the Ski Club's aim isn't *just* about showing its members around the mountain, it's aim is to try to improve each member's knowledge of skiing and mountaincraft (and sometimes their skiing skills), thus raising the collective knowledge of its members who may then in turn demonstrate admirable snow-user qualities to non-members (a case of "lead by example").

So in that sense, the Ski Club group you saw was probably having an educational moment as much as it was anything else.

Next time, get yr ducks in a row before drawing conclusions.
So there. Hurmph.

Cathy Coins yeah, that's about right. The main purpose of Club reps (from a member's perspective, anyway) is to lead you round a resort on routes you may not have otherwise thought of/known about. While the Club reps I've skied with often have as much experience to impart as a registered guide/instructor, they're not registered guides/instructors. Hence the requirement for a guide. But then having a guide is just good mountain practice, something which the Club is keen to reinforce!
ski holidays
easiski, Hmm. Actually, I am thinking of leaving the SCGB this year (I'm not sure it fits my own needs these days - I managed to have a top-notch instructional holiday, for example, without it wink) - so I have no particular axe to grind. I am just not too keen to see one one set of skiers knocking others. Particularly when I want to ski in harmony with both. My regular skiing buddy is a keen SCGB member, after all.
snow report
I often ski with a qualified guide from Alpine Experience and they encourage us to follow the tracks for a number of reasons, including:
=> The guide sets a turn radius and a speed appropriate for the snow conditions and the groups capabilities.
=> Often there is only a narrow strip of nice snow and everyone in the group wants nice snow.
=> Safety, occasionally the guide insists that we ski a particular line, eg along a ridge, as he is not happy about the snow stability away from the ridge. Often there is just a narrow strip of wind blown soft snow between Sking adjacent to his tracks in easy conditions is good training for the constrained conditions.
=> Leaving nice snow for other skiers.

A couple of years ago we skiied wonderful snow down the sunny bowl from top of Signal to base of Col button lifts in Val d'Isere. By following the previous person's tracks several groups each got fresh powder and each person got over 100 turns. By 10am the centre of the bowl lookes as if a comb with 50 teeth had zigzigged down. On other occasions I have seen similar slopes where as few as 10 people have messed around with different lines, thus spoilting the slope and the powder for everyone else.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy