Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski 'Hot List'

Poster: A snowHead
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

You would be better off speaking to your man from 'Fall Line Skiing' magazine.

It is his line of work and he will be one of a small band who has skied a large number of currently available skis.

Most of us probably take note of the reviews and, if we are lucky, try a few different skis each year, based on magazine reviews, recommendations from others and free offers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
my best skis this year

1. salomon 1080 foil (uncool- but I like them)
2. dynastar 8000 legend (neither here nor there- grahics a bit odd)
3. movement demon flame (v cool- but only work for me at mach 5)

hated
1. K2 public enemy- (take them away and burn them now)

not bothered by-
1. K2 apache recon

Mrs Ed says
Best
1. salomon 1080 thruster (the origional and best)
2. dynastar exclusive legend

not bothered by
1. K2 lota luv-(arghhh ....ergh.....)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latchigo, Ok, just leave this thread to those SNOWHEADS whom are posting their top ten. No Worries for you. Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo wrote:
Most of us probably take note of the reviews and, if we are lucky, try a few different skis each year, based on magazine reviews, recommendations from others and free offers.

From experience mag reviews are not the most reliable source for ski evaluations and are sometimes affected by advertising income. It's up to you where you take your info from but I'd rather see what Snowheads have to say about skis than a mag review or just some bloke down the pub.

Head Madtrix Mojo (now Mojo 90)
Head im88
Head 1100 (SW?)
Rossi B3 (last years model)

for touring ....
Völkl SnowWolf
Fischer Tour X-treme

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 21-03-06 9:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Liked:

Head Monster 72 (adored it, had to have it, bought it Smile)
K2 Burnin Luv (liked a lot, but not a ski I absolutely had to take home)
K2 Sweet Luv (nice but I overpowered it)

OK:
Volkl AC3 (uninspiring, bit of a compromise on doing everything not as well as it should)

Disliked:
Dynastar Exclusive Carve (no edge grip, no confidence on ice)
Salomon Rush 7 (totally unstable at anything other than snail's pace)
Volkl 5* (totally uncontrollable, but I gather it may have been fully tuned)
Kneissl Power Glide (far too much like hard work)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My top ten (er make that seven)

Legend 8000 fibre
Fischer RX8
Fischer RC4 worldcup sc
Volkl supersport 5 star (original one, not double thick ones, have become lardy)
Pocket Rockets (or what ever salomon call them now)
Rossi B3
Salomon Equipe SC

one question why have new skis become so heavy eg metron etc?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 20-03-06 16:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fischer RX8 is a fantastic ski-wish I could ski another 9
Also have legend 4800 which is good at what it does
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eng_ch wrote:

Disliked:

Interesting. Quite the opposite experience by a few ladies here, on Vermont and Pennsylvania coral reef, with that ski and the old Omecarve 9.

Do you have more details on this (in another thread perhaps)?

Also DB, do you have those Fischer touring skis written up anywhere?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex wrote:
Also DB, do you have those Fischer touring skis written up anywhere?

Opps it was the X-treme not the X-caliber Embarassed although if you mean a review then no sorry.

I prefered the Völkl SnowWolfs (similar dimensions to the X-caliber) as they seem to do everything better on and offpiste, very light too. I was under the impression that the X-Caliber is more of an intermediate ski. After reading many German reviews and then speaking to a lot of other tourers I went for the SnowWolf. It does get knocked about a bit in rough conditions but so has every other touring ski I have been on - must be the low weight but overall it's a great allrounder with little compromise.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, weird innit? I was very surprised to find them so poor. I mean, you expect to skid on ice, but I didn't expect a 66mm waist carver to just go sideways when the Monster held perfectly nicely. The best comparison I can make is that it was like that artificial plastic stuff (interlocking tiles) they use to create "ice rinks" anywhere, in school halls etc. There was just no grip whatsoever, and the edges were fine (I checked because I was so surprised). Of course it turned into a vicious circle because it felt so unstable I ended up tensing up then it just got worse and worse Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hot

Rossi B2's
Head ixrc800
Head Mad Trix
Fischer rc4

Not

1080 foil
Atomic Metron B5 (yuck)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have only been on my Stormride xl's this season so they are my number one.(wish i was good enough to get the most out of them)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Latchigo, Wear The Fox Hat,B00thy, JT, comprex, spyderjon, BrightonSki, snowbunny, Frosty the Snowman, Can I go off piste for a moment here. I am an imtermediate, just recently did my first Black run and my first off piste (alongside the piste) quite happy on Reds, the odd bit of ice doesn't bother me and I am improving fairly quickly. I have tested a few skis and I like Rossi B2s (better than C260i, Crossifre, Eliminator, Nitrous) but what length should I be on, I only had the opportunity to try the 174's. I weigh 75kg and i'm 6'1". I'm thinking maybe the 182s ?

As I improve will I find the B2s can't keep up with to my level ? I can only afford 1 pair of skis and I will be 75% on Piste, 25% off piste and probably no park stuff.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mike.healy,

I wouldn't think you would out ski a 174 as an intermediate on most of the skis. You might want a bit more lenght if you spend a lot of time off-piste but for the citeria you have stated 175-ish is ok. I can't give you a recommendation for a B2 as I don't like the ski, I think it does most things ok without excelling at anything but a lot of pople love it. If you have skied it and you find it does what you want then fair enough. From reviews I would expect Nordica - esp the Top fuels - to be better skis but if you've tried them and think different then stick with your opinions.

To conclude, anything upto 180 should fit your profile if you are wanting a B2 type/comparable ski IMO
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mike.healy, Just picking 1 item from your profile. You are tall, though not heavy, so IMHO 174 is fine. If you enjoy the B2's, stick with them, you should not outgrow them for a few winters yet.
snow report
mike.healy, Nice to be listed in such company but I really am no help on this topic (again).
snow report
Limited to what I have bought or hired, not what I would like to try:
(best first)
Fischer WC SC
Atomic SX11
Fischer RX8
Salomon Equipe SC
Rossi 9S Oversize (now VS Ti or something like that)

And now for something completely different.
(Also best first)
Kästle National Team SG (non-current model-could be hard to find in stores Smile )

Not impressed with...Salomon Streetracers (any), Rosi 9X Oversize, Atomic SX10.
That's 10.
latest report
comprex wrote:
eng_ch wrote:

Disliked:

Interesting. Quite the opposite experience by a few ladies here, on Vermont and Pennsylvania coral reef, with that ski and the old Omecarve 9.

Do you have more details on this (in another thread perhaps)?

FYI, Comprex, something SSH wrote on Epic has caused a bit of a lightbulb moment for me:

Quote:
They are sharp (scrape off fingernail), and smooth .... I get a good edge, but the turn doesn't develop like I expect, and the very center of the ski (under the boot) washes out on harder snow (sometimes dramatically).

This was about his B5's and it turned out they was quite simply dead, they were ex-B5's Wink. Since these Exclusive Carves didn't look like this year's model and they were hire skis not demos, maybe they were simply dead too?
eng
snow conditions
How much skiing did the b5's have to be 'dead'?
ski holidays
Sorry, forgot to post the links

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=38318

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=38319

Seems they were decambered
ski holidays
mike.healy, I wouldn't buy the 182s if I were you - at your height/weight they are too long. I'm about an inch shorter than you, I'm on 170s on piste (not B2s), and unless I was to become a downhill pro racer, I really don't need anything longer.
Keep shorter, it's better!
latest report
Mike.healy,
174 B2 should be about right.
ski holidays
I'll add the ones that I tested this year.

1) Nordica Hot Rod Modified
2) Saloman Crossmax V12
3) Atomic Metron M11

Cool Rosignol 9 Oversize (or something like that)
9) Volkl Superspeed (Too much like hard work for me)
latest report
SZK - does your offer of demos for snowheads still hold? I could well be in Chamonix this Sunday and would love to try some Mantras or 8800s.

Thanks
snow report
fatbob wrote:
SZK - does your offer of demos for snowheads still hold? I could well be in Chamonix this Sunday and would love to try some Mantras or 8800s.

Thanks

Having seen the rising snow level maybe ought to add Pontoons to that list for their waterski qualities Laughing
latest report
mike.healy,

B2s are good skis. In fact I've just bought a pair after demoing these, the Volkl AC4 and the Atomic Metron M-EX. (And therefore these 3 make my contribution to SZK's chart).

- My only disappointment was that I couldn't get to demo the Dynastar Legend 8000. - Only one shop in Whistler stocked this (Comor Sports) , but they weren't prepared to let me take it for a spin. - Actually, the guy in the shop really pissed me off: he didn't seem to have any interest in selling skis at all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy