Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just back from ...... Fernie

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Recently returned from my first skiing trip to North America. I know Fernie has been covered before, but just for an update, here's a few thoughts on the experience:

What a fantastic mountain. Great tree skiing, lots of varied terrain from easy motorways to double diamond chutes. Tree skiing as I have never known it in Europe. Sensible degree of grooming. Not much for the beginner, although with my group that wasn't really an issue. After a few disappointing seasons snow-wise in Europe I now finally understand the attraction of 'deep and steep'. My only concern is that Mrs. Zammo has also discovered the joys of powder but doesn't seem to share my natural wariness of unknown terrain .... I've given up leading, I now follow!

Not much in the way of nightlife either at the mountain, or downtown, but we can make our own entertainment and a trip to the hockey to see the Ghostriders win 4 - 3 in overtime was well worth a massive CND$8 entrance fee.

I will return to North America, probably gearing a trip around a BC course. There is much concern amongst the locals about the way the snow pack has changed over the last 10 years so I'd like to have a chance of skiing some of the neighbouring bowls out of bounds before the risks limit access to only a few days in every season.

Alternatively, if anyone can recommend good introductory BC experiences elsewhere in North America or Europe, please let me know.

Finally, a big thank you to my physio. 10 days on snow and no knee problems! It's a miracle Cool
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zammo wrote:
... if anyone can recommend good introductory BC experiences elsewhere in North America or Europe, please let me know.

http://www.snoworks.co.uk/i-skiing/backcountry.html

Although I've not done that course (other snowHeads have, I think), I've skied with Snoworks several times and its the best ski instruction I've ever had.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And snoworks do course in fernie as well don;t they? Somone does, maybe it;s phil smith.

Fernie's great, I *love* it. where did you stay? We were in resort, opposite the stables.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt wrote:
And snoworks do course in fernie as well don;t they? Somone does, maybe it;s phil smith.

Yes, they run an "All Terrain" courses in Fernie; just one course per season in mid-February (to escape the half term crowds in Europe).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, we were in Timberline lodges which far surpassed any self-catering accom I've come across elsewhere.

Fave spots were the far side of Cedar Bowl (lots of powder) and the diamonds off the ridge between currie and lizard. Intended to have a look at the terrain park, but with so much real mountain to enjoy, it hardly seemed worth the effort!

I'll look into the snoworks stuff and buy a new (bigger) piggy bank!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Did Fernie with snoworks last season - great!!! - Phil Smith & a top Canadian Instructor from the local ski school gave us alternate off-piste & instruction, - 3 hrs mornings & afternoons. - great combination followed by video analysis every evening. - twisting,pushing, carving - the 3 things that will get you down the mountain!
Book up quick! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy