Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baggage allowance to US

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks

We're off to California (Tahoe & Mammoth) on 1st April Shocked and were wondering what the deal is with our luggage. I'll give the airline a call but can anyone give any tips?

We are taking our boots but not skis or poles - should we put them in a case? How many pieces are you allowed? No doubt it will vary from airline to airline.

We are flying Edinburgh - Heathrow on BMI then Heathrow - San Francisco on UA.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brightside, most airlines are going for 2 x 23kg allowance, I believe. I'd strongly suggest you take your boots as carry-on - that way you're guaranteed to have them on the slopes, even if the rest of your bags go missing (and it frees up a lot of space/weight in your suitcase!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brightside, have you looked on BMI's website for terms and conditions relating to baggage?

It varies between airlines, but most seem not to count ski and boot bags as part of the bag count, but will weigh the boots as part of the weight allowance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brightside, no advice to add about baggage but i'm sure you'll have a great time. We did the same resorts at the same time last year.

A few pics here if you'd like a look http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=530
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2*32kg on BA when you fly intercontinental. best to ask your airline I suspect - and your shuttle will normally take the baggage allowance from your main flight of course
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nbt, only if the shuttle and main flight are the same company though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maybe a fair point but if I book both at once I would expect that the same baggage allowance would apply.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Need to be careful if you booked through a TO. You may not get the normal airline allowance. I went with Air Canada (normally 32kg) this year with Nielson but their deal was for only 20kg.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Checked with the tour op today - they are saying we can take two pieces each with NO weight limit + 1 piece hand luggage. I seriously doubt that there is no limit so I'll have to investigate further. They did say that the shuttle from Edi to Heathrow was the same allowance as it was technically the 'same' flight. I'm thinking of putting our boots in one case but, as someone mentioned, if they are lost we will have to hire - yuk!

Roger C - snaps look great, can't wait to go - any tips?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brightside, there is a 32kg bag limit as I think most airlines refuse to carry anything heavier. Brightside, also I think skis and boots together count as one piece. Check on the airline's website.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the basis that you are two, travelling to the US (ultimately), you should be on the piece system, not the weight system. So you should get 4 pieces (howsoever that is defined by your airline)

But as Helen says the piece system has a weight restriction ie 32 kg (I think on the basis that anything heavier could conceivably cause injury to the baggage handlers)....................that is unless your airline is a cheapskate one and has sought to reduce that to 23kg........Air France/KLM hang your heads in shame. Others will no doubt follow.

Also you have to inter- relate the ski carriage rules......which used to be (maybe still is) that skis and boot bag, though 2 bits of luggage, were one piece for the piece system.

The moral...pack lightly, one suitcase each, take your boots in your hand luggage and hire a place to stay that has a washer dryer. That then saves you having to work your way round any of the above. All you have to worry about is that your bags may not arrive, but at least you and your boots will have done.As long as you pack you, your passport, your boots and your credit card in your hand luggage, you will survive............who remembers hired boots......ugh !!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin, It's been discussed before but you need to be careful taking boots as hand luggage. I have been turned back at the departure lounge (Lufthansa at East mids) because they classed boots as 'dangerous items' which meant they had to be checked in. I would check with the airline before assuming it was Ok to take them on-board. Also there are size and weight (normally 6Kg) restrictions which might give you a problem with a fully loaded boot bag.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know when we weent to Whistler, once of the girls took her boots as hand luggage without any problems (qantas and alaskan air as she came from Oz)

if you get hassle though, simply wear them and put your shoes in hand luggage...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haven't had problems taking boots as hand luggage on:
BA
Delta
North West
United
US Airways

(although I was once on a connecting flight from Philadelphia to Burlington with US, and the plane was about a 30 seater. It was fine taking the boot bag on, but there wasn't enough room in the overhead for my boots in the bag, so I took one boot out, and placed it in the overhead bin on its own, and the other stayed in the bag. Same plane on the return sector, and again, no issues with it)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I carried mine in a bag ( not a proper boot bag) on KLM without any hassle at all.........other than lugging the bag about, as it weighed a lot more than my usual hand luggage
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy