Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiers dicing with death off piste

Poster: A snowHead
From the times today..............

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-2088286,00.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
up to the usual quality of English journalism I see...

Quote:

In big resorts such as Tignes and Val d’Isère, up to half the visitors are estimated to duck under the safety ropes and seek fun beyond the protected pistes, with or without guides, at some stage in their holiday

Wonder where they got that estimate from then..

Still, makes a good headline.. I see it even made the BBC news paper review this morning rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
toby wright wrote:
up to the usual quality of English journalism I see...

Quote:

In big resorts such as Tignes and Val d’Isère, up to half the visitors are estimated to duck under the safety ropes and seek fun beyond the protected pistes, with or without guides, at some stage in their holiday

Wonder where they got that estimate from then..

Still, makes a good headline.. I see it even made the BBC news paper review this morning rolling eyes

pesky tourists.. its about time everyone was roped to a guide and made to walk down!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some stats released today by ANENA, the French Avalanche Study Centre, detailing the fatalities to date, what sort of sliding they were doing and where, which resorts, departments, and when...

Summarised in this article.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent if harrowing data.
Off piste/touring deaths - 47
On piste deaths - 1

I recall a thread where some were arguing that on piste skiing was more dangerous than off piste skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
On piste deaths - 1

I recall a thread where some were arguing that on piste skiing was more dangerous than off piste skiing.

This data is for avalanche incidents not all accidents.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG,

Has Savoie always been the deadliest place to be or just this freaking year?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, welcome again
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
On piste deaths - 1

This data is for avalanche incidents not all accidents.

Is there any info for all skiing deaths?.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee wrote:
PG,

Has Savoie always been the deadliest place to be or just this freaking year?
You have to place the stats in the context of the number of skier days spent in the different departments. The Savoie is huge possibly even compared to all the others put together, in that respect.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This data is for avalanche incidents not all accidents.[/quote]
Is there any info for all skiing deaths?.[/quote]

I guess the incident data is for reported incidents that get offically recorded. I'd be interested in any stats that might be available for non reported incidents (even if this was only a best guess), i.e for every reported slide involing someone there were nn unreported.

I'm interested as I was in a slide in St Anton, it was reported and the emergency call we placed was cancelled when we had accountted for everyone, but Austrian data does not seem to be so readily available as that of France.

BTW I watched the Planet programme on BBC on Sunday and I'm sure that the narrator said that there were 10,000 slides a year in some mountain range (can't remember which one! though)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BOD, I think it was the Rockies. PG has alluded to it, but avalanches are only really a problem if they affect humans. Scotland (when there is snow) is very avalanche prone (or so I am told) but there are hardly any people in the hills at winter, so deaths are comparatively rare. Savoie has a huge number of skiers so is always likely to register high numbers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
toby wright, just a quick word to point out that, no you're wrong. In fact the quote states "up to half the visitors". Which means anywhere between zilch and 50%. Which is about right.

Anyway, since when have hacks been expected to be the ones providing reliable information? That's the job of properly qualified stat researchers. Its then for hacks to hack around with the information .... you see the difference?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Manda wrote:
toby wright, just a quick word to point out that, no you're wrong. In fact the quote states "up to half the visitors". Which means anywhere between zilch and 50%. Which is about right.

True, although taking it like that, they might as well have said, 'up to all the visitors', since the number must be somewhere between 0 and 100% Wink

Thought it was great being featured on the bbc news this morning tho, exciting to know I'm taking part in such an extreme sport next week at Val D'Isere Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned North American skiing.

I can honestly say that I spend over 50% of my time off piste now - I can't go as fast as I can go on a run but I certainly get more satisfaction. The thought of going to a resort where you have to stay between the piste markers seems ridiculous now.

And the *entire* open area is avalanche patrolled and bombed; not just the runs.

And when I fell (off piste) in Snowbird a few weeks ago I had 12 (I think) patrollers and 2 doctors with me in a matter of minutes (5-15).

Obviously only one side of the coin though...
ski holidays
lbt wrote:

I can honestly say that I spend over 50% of my time off piste now - I can't go as fast as I can go on a run but I certainly get more satisfaction. The thought of going to a resort where you have to stay between the piste markers seems ridiculous now.

And the *entire* open area is avalanche patrolled and bombed; not just the runs.

And when I fell (off piste) in Snowbird a few weeks ago I had 12 (I think) patrollers and 2 doctors with me in a matter of minutes (5-15).

Obviously only one side of the coin though...

I view ungroomed resort slope skiing and off piste skiing as quite separate types. I hope you are okay after your fall, did the the rescue services arrive by helicopter?
snow report
lbt wrote:

I think it will begin to happen in European resorts, although because of the difference in the size of the larger ski stations in North America compared to Europe I think it will be smaller zones (like the Tignes SPOT) that provide secured "in-bounds" off-piste rather than try to secure the entire lift-served area.

How quickly do in-bounds off-piste areas get tracked out in North American resorts? In my limited experience of the large French resorts the lift-served off-piste is tracked out within a day or two of fresh snow falling, and after that you have to either hike or have very detailed knowledge of the resort to find the out of the way areas. Is it the same in North America?
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, The places that I have skied in the US, tended to get tracked out the same day, but the snow stays soft and we quite often got a top up overnight. There is not a feeling of "being away from it all", which could be a plus, or a minus.
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
... but the snow stays soft ...

Why is that? Cold temperatures? Few skiers/boarders to pack the snow down?
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

Why is that? Cold temperatures

Cold dry air, mostly. Ski towns like Breckenridge are at 10,000 ft. Lake Tahoe (Squaw/Heavenley/Northstar etc) is at 6000 ft. Precipitation is quite often at night as well, which is quite convenient. My experience of US skiing is that queues and crowds can be as bad as anywhere in Europe.
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

Why is that? Cold temperatures

Cold dry air, mostly. Ski towns like Breckenridge are at 10,000 ft. Lake Tahoe (Squaw/Heavenley/Northstar etc) is at 6000 ft. Precipitation is quite often at night as well, which is quite convenient. My experience of US skiing is that queues and crowds can be as bad as anywhere in Europe.

Only at weekends and major holidays leaving aside those resorts overpopulated by overseas visitors e.g. Whistler. Actually I'd say Whistler can quite often be worse than Europe if you don't know how to avoid the hoardes The only significant lines I stood in (besides the wait for first chair) on my last trip were morning lifts on a bluebird powder Saturday
snow report
yeah and in 2004 216 people were killed on the roads in central London. That hardly made headlines now did it?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy