Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens/Grand Massif

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to Samoens next weekend. First time visit to this area. Can anyone tell me if I need a passport photo for lift pass please?
Any other tips on the resort would also be appreciated. Not into off-piste so no need to warn me about crevasses!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We were there for 4 days in January - our first time in Samoens too. Pleasant rather rambling little village although by 10.30pm only 1 bar open. Can't remember the name of the excellent patisserie but I expect you will find it, look for the chocolate fountain! Lifts are 1km from the village. There is a free bus but it only runs about every 20 - 30 mins so next time we would definitely hire a car. The locals were v friendly. Our hotel was about a mile outside the village up a hill but there was no problem leaving our (own) skis in one of hire shops (next to the patisserie - see above) with no charge - they even put our boots on the boot warners each night! Takes in excess of an hour to get from the bottom of the Samoens gondola to the top of the Grand Vans chair to give you the link down to Flaine. If you are used to fast chair lifts you could be in for a disappointment. The lift map is pretty useless as the topography is quite complex and the map is more of an artists impression, the signposting isn't great compared to some other places. Keep an eye on the time in the later afternoon or you could find yourself in the wrong valley for the one and only lift link. The skiing is fairly open. Don't buy your lunch on the Flaine side unless you are happy to pay half as much again for the privilege. We liked the resaurant at Les Molliets but these things are always a bit subjective. Oh yes, no photo needed - it's all electronic. Have a great time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was also in the area for 4 days in Jan and agree with Pat. A bit disjointed but we had a great time.
2 runs which stick in the memory are the red and black from Samoens 1600m to the cable car at Vercland.
After a frustrating day due to weather keeping us low, we headed home on this route. Saw 2 ESF instructors turn back from the black and opt for the red run, so we decided that was the best idea.
After a few gentle turns down the red, I realised I didn't really need to control my speed, so just went for it big time, head down all the way. What a brilliant run, a bit hairy at times, (lucky that it was empty) but until it narrows U can go full tilt. The best quote in the bar (at the bottom of the run, selling good Murphy's) after that run was "Thought I was going fast, then Sarge over took me..... in the air" Very Happy
Next day we all tried it again, but it was much slower as the realisation of our previous days recklesness had sunk in, also the piste was a bit more crowded. Tried the black and that was great - quiet because it was black, but generally much better snow than the red... until the base where it was sheet ice - what a laugh all of us going down on our butts. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No need for photo - €3.00 gets you a hands free card which is brilliant. Samoens id fantastic - not for the party animal though. If you enjoy good food (especially cheese!) and pleasant village people - you will have fun. But I am biased as we have an apartment there!!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PS - there is also snow in abundance! (but where isn't there!). There may not be much snow at resort level as Samoens is only at 750m approx - so if weather is bad - this time of year it could be rain in the village - but dont worry, 8 minutes in the GME and you will be amongst the white stuff snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for the answers and apologies for posing the question twice. Don't know how that happened!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roger King, If you are hiring your gear, you could hire it at Roland Gay at 1600 that way you can leave it up there each night and get the GME back down and walk to the village (takes us 8mins in our snowboard boots) - that's what our skier friends do when they come visit us,

Also, the ski bus runs every 15 mins from the Sherpa/Cinema from 8.30-10.30 THEN every half hour after that.

If Cascades is open - blue run down to Sixt from Flaine - you have to do it. There's a bit of pushing but it's an hour of beautiful scenery - but don't leave it til the end of the day because the buses can get crowded back to Samoens from Sixt - sharpen your elbows it's every man for himself!

Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh and the patisserie is called Tiffanie's - they do a lovely dessert called Tropezian wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sarge, You are right - the red run is amazing - just watch out for the little stream on the right - just before your get to the Vercaland Dinosaur Egg (Bubble!) Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some of the lifts serving the best off piste appear to have been closed since it started dumping so the off piste shouldn't be tracked out. Heading to Les carroz Friday night Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy