Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back Protectors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I am new here, and would be grateful for some advice.

I have a teenage son who is working abroad and doing some XC racing. He has also recently taken up downhill telemarking. I am sure I don't get the full story but it appears to be off-piste and involve lots of jumps and things. Anyway he has asked me for a helmet, and also back and knee protectors. Shocked

The Back Protector he has found on the web is made by UFO. I tried 'googling' them but all I got was a lot of rubbish about flying saucers. Does anyone know if they are a reliable make?

Any other tips gratefully received, because I know absolutely nothing about lift-served ski-ing. He doesn't know much more, but is in a good place to learn. He has learnt very good downhill skills on 44mm racing skis, and finds telemark equipment easy to ski on, so the technical side isn't a too much of a problem for him.

Thanks. Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS The UFO seems to be sold out in his size, so any other suggestions for good kit gratefully received
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nordicfan, Try looking at mountain bike stuff ? I tele too - helmet and knee pads are a must....not so sure about the back protector - but then I way too old to jump !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nordicfan, I've got the Dainese Nextwave back protector & it's excellent. http://www.dainese.com

You can definately buy them from Ellis Brigham's and Snow & Rock might also stock them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nordicfan, You can look at motorcycle stuff too http://customleathers.co.uk/cat75_1.htm or http://www.planet-knox.com/

As long as the protection is CE aproved it's fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice, all. Very Happy

I have now found the previous threads on this too. Dainese seems to be favoured. Also, it is easier to find on 'Google' which is a plus. I particularly like the fact they say they impact test their stuff at -20 C. I have seen how hard and brittle some materials go in the cold (e.g. when my Mum reversed into the gatepost at -5C, and the 'shock-absorbing' bumper on her car just disintegrated).

Oh, well - now to try to drum into the boy that the kit does not make him injury-proof.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nordicfan wrote:
.......I have seen how hard and brittle some materials go in the cold....

Me too. I took a heavy fall in Snowbird a few weeks ago. From the crack I heard & the pain in my chest I thought I'd broken a rib or two. It turned out that I'd snapped the insurance 'credit card' that was in my jacket pocket clean in two Laughing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nordicfan, back protectors need to be worn close the the skin and secured quite tight so there's little displacement during impact. That means under your jacket and next to your base layer. Cold temperature testing is just marketing poop 'cos if your body temp's -20, all the back protectors in the World ain't gonna make you rise from the slab.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque wrote:
nordicfan, back protectors need to be worn close the the skin and secured quite tight so there's little displacement during impact. That means under your jacket and next to your base layer.

For that reason I find they're very warm & I hardly ever need to wear a mid layer - just a base layer, my back protector & a shell jacket is usually all I need. I put a light weight fleece on in Kitzbuhel at Christmas when it got to -15C.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy