Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel 1650 New Generation ski school experiences

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

My wife and I are both intermediates and are looking for good lessons or clinics w/c 26/03. We used New Gen in Vallandry last year and was very pleased but would love to know if they are as good in 1650.

Or are there other good alternatives ?

TIA

Andy

btw, this is my first post (I think) so hello to everyone Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pokemon, no experience of them myself but Welcome to snowHeads snowHead .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pokemon, I think rolling eyes 1650 was New Gens original office. I have only heard good reporTs (apart from the price) of them. I if you search.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pokemon, I've had a few private lessons with Warren from NewGen in C1650. I was very happy with the quality of the instruction. C1650 is NewGen's main base, so they will probably have a wider range of courses and clincs than in Vallandry.

Welcome to snowHeads!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pokemon, welcome to Snowheads.

My wife and I learnt to ski last season at 1650 with New Gen. THE MAN is a guy called Roy who was just brilliant. The experience with them was so good that we are likely going to go back there next season so as to refresh with them.

IMHO look no further. It was fun, not taxing mentally nor physically and all teachers were attentive and responsive to each individual.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and another thing.

Friends we were with are intermediate skiers and they also had the same good experinces, so dont think they are just beginner friendly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies. It's confirmed what I thought.

Peter, did your friends have the group lessons or the clinic ?

I forgot to mention we had 2 clinic sessions in Vallandry with a Scots guy named Rob (both sessions very good) and there was only 2 other people besides my Wife and I. We did a half-pipe, some off piste and moguls even though we were Level 5 according to the New Gen rating. We both felt completely safe all the while as the instructor very competent and knew our limitations. It was great fun.

Incidently all the New Gen guys at Vallandry seemed to be British and from what I could make out at the time, this was a common theme among New Gen. Maybe this will change if they start to grow more.

Just need to book the holiday now as I can't wait to go !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pokemon wrote:
Incidently all the New Gen guys at Vallandry seemed to be British and from what I could make out at the time, this was a common theme among New Gen. Maybe this will change if they start to grow more.

Yes, they use other nationalities in Courchevel, although all should speak very good English.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used NewGen in 1650 3 years ago - I had private lessons with Jason. They are one of the best ski schools I've ever used - two of my friends started with ESF then switched to NewGen. They both commented that they would never go back to ESF again...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I learned to ski with New gen in 1650, absolutely FAB... within 2 hours went from complete newb to going down the longer of the two green runs (name escapes me at the mo!) - they even taught my 68 year old mum on her first ever skiing holiday!

Just put it on credit card, and enjoy the holiday!
g
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went with ESF in 1650 and my instructor (Roland Duval) was great. 6 in the group in the mornings (9.15 - 11.30) and just 2 of us in the afternoons (2.00 - 4.30). All this for the same price as 2 hours per day in an English school, plus the bonus of going to the front of the lift queues while those with the English schools had to lump it at the back.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
truffant,

We know Roland Duval, he taught us to ski on our first trip to Courchevel. I agree he's brilliant but I have had mixed experiences with ESF since (although not in Courchevel) and would worry that Roland either no longer works there or couldn't be booked.

When did Roland teach you and were you beginners or intermediates ?

I'm wondering if he is still there
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had Roland from 30th Jan to 3rd Feb so it wasn't that long ago. He does run another business importing boats, as well as coaching waterskiing and wakeboarding (as well as snowboarding), but he made no mention of quitting ESF (not that he would necessarily go about broadcasting the fact if he were). The instructors take it in turns which group they take ie. class 0, 1 ,2 or 3 so it might be difficult to ensure being in his group given that one's holiday dates are presumably already fixed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We use New Gen a lot, and get consistently good feedback from guests.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pokemon, they were in group lessons and I know for a fact there wasn't too much hanging about with technique after day 1 or 2. They were putting in a lot of miles.

nuttyprofessor, I had two days skiing with Jason and he was very very good. He actually pinpointed a snowboarding hangover I had that was affecting my skiing and then put me in the class below with Roy. Within a day it was ironed out. Interestingly when I met Roy he knew all about my "problem" already as he had actually held a conversation with Jason. That in itself impressed me.

I also had a one on one session with a mad Italian called Luigi (I think) - he too was attentive and pushed me without making me feel out of control.

In short I was so impressed (and evn moreso my previously very nervous wife) that we will be organising a trip around New Gen destinaations next year.

Hope it helps
snow report
Can only speak highly of Ski NewGen at 1650. Had a private lesson with them 2 years ago. Jason took his time identifying my objectives and really moved towards them significantly within the space of a couple of hours. I could not believe the benefit of one to one tuition with a top class instructor.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like New Gen is the best option for improving.
ski holidays
Due to a serious knee injury I am limited to what I can do, so although I have 15+ weeks ski experience I still get a lot out of class sessions. I always arrange a combination of private tuition and group lessons. In Courcheval, group lessons are usually only 2 hours per day, so the odd afternoon top up I find useful.

I booked NewGen at Courcheval 1850, their office is in 1650, so it’s the same set up. Last year and this year both on Private (One on One) tuition couldn’t fault them. (Also tried Magic In Motion, again excellent One on One). Very Happy

Last years group tuition was good, not excellent, but better than others I have attended. This year I initially experienced problems with both the Group and Clinic tuition was cancelled. The story goes….

I had a Ski Clinic (2 x 3 hour lesson, on two afternoons) cancelled less than 2 hours before the start of the first session. I was told that one person had pulled out and it had fallen below the minimum required to hold such a class. Mad

The first group session tuition was so at odds with last years experience that I almost stopped after 1 hour. The group class I had been pointed at, was the same level as last year, was set at Level 4. According to the NewGen web site that is: I ski blue runs. My skis are parallel when I feel confident, but the plough comes back when it gets steep, narrow or icy.

Reality was being asked to ski down the slope with poles sticking up from the top of your head like antennae (purportedly to help with balance), and similar such exercises.

After the lesson I spoke to others in the group and although they also thought that some of the exercise we were asked to do were daft, they went with the flow rather than rock the boat. I phoned the NewGen office in 1650, explained I wasn’t happy both with the vshort notice cancellation, (I had my week planned around these sessions) and the group lesson format. 2 hours later I was phoned back by their head coach who listened to the issues, he took on board what I said and I was moved up a group for the next day. He also explained that what is tought is affected by the general level that the instructor finds with the group. They didn’t have a solution to the clinic cancellation.
I was moved up to level 5, and rec'd the higher level of tuition that I had expected from last year. The new instructor stated that, based on my level, I should have been in level 5 or 6 never 4.

So the moral of this story is:-
Don’t understate your experience level.
Don’t accept tuition that isn’t suitable.
Speak to the Ski School straight away.
Don’t accept last minute cancellations!

Would I go with New Gen again? ….. For Private tuition yes but for group tuition…. the class is still out on that one! wink
snow report
Over Xmas we used Patsy Duncan of ski Excel for half days each day (roughly). I didn't ski much wit hher, but I was favouably impressed. My wife and the other adults who skied with her were favourably impressed, and my wife's skiing and confidence has improved. My kids, who skied with every day, have imporved in skiing and confidence. Weare all probalby better than intermediate (wahtever that means - we ski most blacks without any problem). The intermediate in our group was full of praise for her as well, 'though. She wasn't a laugh a minute, although very pleasant,; she concentrated quite hard on technique (which I guess is wha tan instructor ought to do). We'd certainly use her again.

I can't compare with New Gen.

http://www.skiexcel.com/SkiExcel-uk.html
ski holidays
Can someone let me know if you need a photo for the lift pass, for the 3 valleys area now that it's all electronic ?

I was last there in 2003 and you needed a photo then.
ski holidays
pokemon, We ordered the 3v passes online and no photo was reqd. http://www.sevabel.com/Online-booking.html
snow conditions
pokemon, Some more here http://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/passes.htm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy