Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

val d'isere recomendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi snowheads,

i'm planning a trip to the val for end of march and was wondering if anyone has any recomendations of how to get there and if there are any special do's or don't do's that i should be aware of.

cheers,
o
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoid lyons airport as its a nightmare. Fly to geneva with easyjet or chambery. Go to the saloon bar for apres ski it has happy hour from 3-5pm and is full of brits and aussies. There is a kebab shop next to precision ski shop which does the best kebabs and its open at like 3am.
There is so much terrain on offer that it is hard to recommend any runs without knowing your ability.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edmundh009 wrote:
Avoid lyons airport as its a nightmare. Fly to geneva with easyjet or chambery. Go to the saloon bar for apres ski it has happy hour from 3-5pm and is full of brits and aussies.

Thats a reccommendation, enough to make me find somewhere else.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Edmundh009,
What's wrong with Lyon - we flew there in January en-route to Val d'Isere. Landed on time, was out and in the minibus within half an hour, arrived Val d'Isere 12:10 and on the slopes for 1pm

Can't vouch for travelling the other way though as we came back via Geneva.

icke,
Saloon bar OK but not great for apres ski chat as the live music is really loud, also it gets really packed, finding a seat (or a place to stand) can be awkward.

Happy hour at Victors I think is between 8pm and 10pm - can recommend the Gorilla Milk cocktail .... also recommend Petit Danois.

Must do's: go to both glaciers on the same day, time yourself down the OK run, the up&over chair (but don't tell yur mates what's coming).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
masmith, I agree, Its not pretty, but the roads are excellent and the airport generally quiet. Avoid Saturdays rather than a specific airport. Lyon always seems open when Chambery or Grenoble are shut. I would stop off early at Les Arcs rather than continuing up the valley!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't go this week though....my daughter and her friends are holding their seasonnaires reunion there.....you have been warned!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lyons airport has a number of problems. Firstly one has to queue like a sardine for a lift to take you up one floor to check-in (whats wrong with a staircase rolling eyes ) Secondly there is no order to the queues for check-in which has two speeds; slow and stop. Thirdly the security officials have a bedside manner only mirrored by US immigration. And the icing on the cake, the departure lounge. It is not very clean, there is nowhere to sit and there are 2 toilets for 1000+ people (yes thats right). I would rather go out of geneva. As for Prog99 I am 22 and like to go out and have a few after skiing, I dont see anything wrong with going to aussie and brit pubs, there is a certain element of loutish, chavtastic behaviour but these kind of people are very much in the minority.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for all the tips. i guess geneva it is for me then, especially since i can fly from london city airport (10 minutes from home...) to geneva (but not lyon). transfer busses should be no problem from geneva either right?

one more thing, does it make more sense to stay in tignes (val claret) rather than in val d'isere itself? looking at the ski maps, val claret seems to be ideally situated right slap-bang in the middle of it...

as for the apres-ski, me being a rather old(ish) fart, the noisy places are pretty much a no-go zone for me in the pm...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
icke, I think that you're better off for skiing access in Val C than in le Lac (although I've only stayed in Val C. Val C is perhaps pleasanter (or less unpleasant, depending on your point of view) than le Lac. There are some perfectly decent if not thrilling bars and restaurants for us old farts in Val C.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy