Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski hire beware - Serbia kopoanik

Poster: A snowHead
Just had to let people know this.

My other half is a beginner (1 week previously) and we arranged standard ski & boot hire through Crystal for him. You get the skis etc from the shop in the basement of The Grand. I have truelly never seen equipment as badly worn, some of it clearly dangerous and uncared for as I did here. I was really shocked. The bindings were loose, the skis all beaten up and the boots very used although they fit him Ok on his third pair. You get no help from these guys so if you're a beginner make sure you know what to look for. The reps push the ski insurance (and this was great) in case you damage them! The skis are so rough that they would never know and they didn't check them over - we did.

I'd suggest trying another hire shop or try the "superior" ski upgrade though I looked at the range and they have nothing that's recent or superior. Just be safe guys. They spoke English, though not loads but it was more concerning that they just asked your size and threw you some boots with no help or guidance if you were new or inexperienced. The Crystal rep Damar wasn't helpful - I'm not sure he even skis.

With boots - you're toes may push on the end of the boot when you first put them on but you need to bend your legs, lean forward from the hips and work the heel into the back of the boot - the toes shouldn't touch and the heel shouldn't be able to lift up and you shouldn't be able to rotate your calf in the boot - I'm a sports doctor so I'd prefer it if you didn't spiral fracture your shins.

With the skis - check the bases aren't all gouged and the bindings (where your boots go) are fixed firmly to the skis with no play sideways (yes its true his were awful) . They weren't waxed, so either ask them to do it, or don't - the more wax, the faster you go so as a beginner its not necessary to go speeding!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-03-06 23:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What resort was this?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds awful. Just a quick plug for Twinner Sport in La Rosiere. We booked indepandantly by e-mail despite there website saying they were full. We got some great gear including Atomic Sx-9s, Dynastar twintips, etc etc. Very Professional fit up. All the skis were named with stickers prior to our arrival. I think the moral may be to book direct with some personal input rather than through the TO. A bit of research will give you a decent shop near tyo your accomodation.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowtiger, my experience of Gala Sport (Kop,Serbia) was some what different to yours. I used them twice this year via Crystal and was happy on both occasions, I hired only skis. I wasn't expecting much, as was warned the kit would be old (not via TO), but it was all modern.

I agree you need to know what to look for and for a complete beginner you do need good advice, which you don't always get in a shop that's very busy.

A m8 hired a snowboard & boots from the Club A shop and that was knackered, binding worn out and boots worn thorogh.

Regards Shane.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was horrified by the equipment hire done in Cervinia organised by Crystal. Luckily I was able to help my "never skiied before" mother and make sure her bindings were adjusted... something th staff were NOT doing! Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For hire in France, try Ski-Set. Used for the first time at Christmas/New Year and we had a choice of skis, all were current models, brand new and I changed them twice in a week, all as part of the service. Staff were helpfull and above all knowledgeable. Also (in a hushed voice) 25% discount if a SCGB member and booked on line. Impressed enough to use again next week in Meribel - enough said.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shaun Hurlow wrote:
For hire in France, try Ski-Set......

Just make sure they adjust BOTH your skis wink (the Ski Set in Arc 1800 failed to adjust mine and my daughter's properly - did the same ski twice Evil or Very Mad )
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't go to white rent in cervinia! The equipments good but they lie about the prices - don't have a price list and then charge more than they said. They also charge you for any little scratch on the skis. Very unpleasant service.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
What resort was this?

It was Kopoanik, Serbia. Apologies for leaving that out guys... Blush
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the feedback Shane. Glad you had a better experience. I can only go on what we received. We got straight down there when we arrived so the choice should have been at its best and whilst it was busy it wasn't snowed under. ..Sorry about the pun guys... Smile Luckily I had my own equipment.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having your own gear isn't always best.
I was away at the back end of Jan in the Samoens area, with a gang of 11 lads.
Pre trip I paid Snow n Rock £17 for a waxing and edging job. Then paid Sleasy Jet £30 for carriage. So £47 spent.
Our chalet host, who picked us up at Geneva, stopped at a "down the valley" ski hire shop and most of the lads got their gear there.
For the 4 days rental, it only cost them 36 Euro i.e. £25.
So not only was it cheaper to rent, but they got newer gear and their skis were faster than mine.
No don't laugh, just gliding down a flat green run, all would zoom past me. OK I beat them on the steeps coz most were learners, but my ski's were slow.
Thought I'd service my ski's myself. Edges were in pretty good nick, just a small amount of filing needed.
For wax, all I had was an old saucepan of melted down aromatic ornamental candles. Read up a wee bit on how to wax. Got no gear or proper stuff, so started with a good spray of Pledge and a polish, then used a paint stripping heat gun and a wallpaper scraper. Finished up with what looked like a half decent job. Got on the snow 2 weeks later and the skis were noticeably faster ! Not your recommended technique, but it did the job rather well
Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowtiger, that sounds awful - like going back to the early 80's ski hire experience! Good job you were there to help out. I recently had clients who'd been to Bulgaria (Borovets) and had a similar experience, with straight skis too. They were all beginners and didn't know any better.

I'm sure the situation will impoirve in the formerly eastern countries once they get a bit of income coming in, but in the meantime - caveat emptor.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know about equipment improving in Bulgaria, I'm still getting over the last Balkan airways flight I took (only time I have ever heard passengers cheering after touchdown)!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My skis and boots in Kopaonik were fine. Hired from Grand Hotel basement ski shop the boots were nearly new Nevicas , these were the third pair that I tried in order to get a good fit , no hassle about trying different boots and the was an English rep on hand to help beginers .The downside was the queue to get equipment vouchers beforehand and of course there was the usual crush in the fitting shop . Regarding skis , must admit I am not fussy , they gave me a pair medium quality , maybe last years 160 cm carvers with no gouges .They hadn't been recently serviced but I took them back a day or two later and had them waxed and edged while I waited , no problem at all and the guy wouldn't take a tip. I have skied all the Bulgarian and Romanian resorts , never had a problem with hired equipment .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd be wary of recommending any particular chain, e.g. Twinner or Ski-Set. Seems to me that these are just brandings / booking systems for what are basically independent shops, so the quality of service/equipment will vary between the shops. Plus if you book centrally, I have found it can be difficult to get your money back if the shop lets you down.

Best thing IMHO would be to get a recommendation of a particular shop (e.g. I found Absolut Ski in Avoriaz very helpful) or (if you have the time and patience) watch the shop staff serve a couple of customers before you decide whether to use them.

On the subject of discount for pre-booking, has anybody had any success in getting a discount just turning up at the shop and asking?

Ant
ski holidays
antpj, You're spot on - the chains are just like Mac donalds or the ESF - there are good and bad and truly awful!

snowmobill, IMHO all skis should be properly serviced every time they go back into the shop - I assume you meant Nordicas? I'm glad you were happy - shame my clients had such a ghastly introduction to skiing, and very lucky that they decided to give it another go - their Bulgarian experience could easily have put them off for life. Shock
latest report
Hi Charlotte , senior moment with the boots ..... , long time since I went to Borovets and although the equipment was ok the top pistes were exceedingly icy , that's the time I started to look at ski edges .The experience almost put me off skiing and it's one place I wouldn't go back to. I do agree skis should be serviced , mine in Kopaonik might have been checked over , but they were certainly blunt .
snow conditions
I have to agree with the hire experience in Kop. I remember Shane's mate hiring the snowboard - it was a kid's board and only came up to his nipples, but the hire guy tried to tell him it was the right size!!! I hired a board and it was in a terrible condition. Use the rep to communicate and get what you want. It's not worth having your holiday ruined by hiring rubbish gear.
Am going to Pamporovo this week and will be hiring cos I am going to learn to ski. Anyone got some advice about Pamps?
Robert

Love many. Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.
snow conditions
We had some problems last week in Pas de la Casa. Pre-booked through our TO Directski.com & were very disappointed with the ski hire shop. Myself & one other had our own gear but had a beginner & 2nd timer with us & their equipement was a disaster. One of our group had booked superior boots & got the oldest boots I have ever seen - the clips were so twisted she could barely do them up. When she asked if these were superior she was told everyone got the same. it was only when they took a layer of skin of her feet did they agree to change them - even then Im fairly sure they werent 'new this season' as promised.

Our beginner also was given skis that werent adjusted to her weight - as she discovered when the bindings opened at every turn. Again if she hadnt been with us she wouldnt have known that this was a problem!

Overall the vibe from the staff was that they didnt give a toss & took no care when adjusting skis.

Avoid Rentaski shop!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy