Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 1800 last week....what a shocker!

Poster: A snowHead
10 hours delayed goin there (2 hours because of 5cm snow at manchester airport, and 8 hours due to road closure up to 1800)

Two days of sun all week, the rest poor visibility but about a metre of snowfall!

Then 2 hour delay on way back due to x-ray machine being bust in Lyon airport. Finally get back to Manchester and my baggage is still in Lyon!

Neutral

Wake up Sunday morning (yesterday) and theres a foot of snow in the back garden Puzzled

And didn't get on with my flow bindings this holiday at all....they must go i'm afriad....now what to buy next rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
duncansarmy, Sounds like a perfect week Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, hard to pick holes in that... 1 mtr is to die for..!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
duncansarmy wrote:
......... about a metre of snowfall!

Jammy git snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
duncansarmy, Flow bindings are crap!! My mates just got a Burton Custom and some new bling bling bindings and he's raving about it!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, JT, marc gledhill, I am with duncansarmy, Give me sunshine, and good viz above heavy falling snow anyday. What is the beauty of 5 dyas of heavy snow? You loose the beauty and ambiance of the mountains, you cant see the next bump, youshould be seriously reducing your speed, etc etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT wrote:

Thats what i was worried about mate...Av level 4 all week!

Frosty the Snowman, spot on!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, You only like sunshine 'cos it keeps your chocolate soft enough to bite into and the bench where you park your bum to eat it, warm wink . . . and what's wrong with learning to ride in crap conditions . . . it might save your and the wee snotminers lives one day Confused
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, We have all skied plenty in crap conditions, but I dont see a problem with wishing for clear blue skies. Am going to post an "unofficial" trip report soon of our recent holiday that had yet more danger and excitement involving our
Quote:

wee snotminers
and 2 others, which involves, panic, very deep snow, falls over blind edges, trees and 4 lost kids carrying skis. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Next time it snows 1 mtr and you want to cancel, I'll buy the holiday off you
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have to say that I am a fair weather skier too Embarassed It has nowt to do with soft chocolate though Confused
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
We have all skied plenty in crap conditions.........

Tell me!; thin snow, small rocks all over the place, icy in the mornings, slushy snow in the afternoon..... Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT wrote:
Next time it snows 1 mtr and you want to cancel, I'll buy the holiday off you

Well knowing that you would be fairly desperate for it i would probably double the price. What i would do if i were you would be to just book the week after, that way you would have a meter of snow and with luck, a bit of sun Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
duncansarmy wrote:
JT wrote:

Not where some of us were skiing in the domain Very Happy . Visibility was just fine in Les Arcs, all week long, for those in the know Wink. Avalanche risk? Where we were, off piste, very little at all.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG wrote:
duncansarmy wrote:
JT wrote:

Not where some of us were skiing in the domain Very Happy . Visibility was just fine in Les Arcs, all week long, for those in the know Wink. Avalanche risk? Where we were, off piste, very little at all.

Well it's a shame i wasn't in the know! Where bouts had sun all week in Les Arcs Pete, i'd be interested to know?
snow report
duncansarmy, PG says visibility - not sun.

My bet, he was in the trees at either end of the resort.
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
duncansarmy, PG says visibility - not sun.

My bet, he was in the trees at either end of the resort.

Ah i see sorry. I spent a fair bit of time in the trees due to visibility too (unintentionally i hasten to add!)

Shocked
snow conditions
Not a whole lot of sunshine, agreed, but visibility was just fine in the trees. Fine, light powder, so the forests of the lower domain (Arc 1600, Villaroger, Peisey) were as safe as it gets in such conditions. Arc 1600 is ideal - you could find untracked snow all week. Very few hazards in the Mont Blanc forest at 1600, accessed from the top of the Mont Blanc chair. You can also head down the little used Arolles red from the top of the Cachette, you're soon back down below the tree line and that run has some extensive off piste beside and through the trees as well. Slightly steeper gradents in the Villaroger sector woods, but some great conditions under the clouds right down to 1200m. Then there's Peisey....

Les Arcs has terrain for all abilities and weather conditions. Regularly come across guides/instructors who've come across from Val and Tignes to ski at low altitude when the weather closes in higher up.
snow report
PG, Great advise that, cheers. I'll know for next time Very Happy If only i logged in and asked the question whilst i was away!

You'd of thought our rep might have told us all this wouldn't you?

Did make it to plan peisey once though and it was nice. Wasn't too bad over in la Plagne when we went there for the day also.
snow conditions
Have to agree with PG that there are ways of making the most of poor visibility when in Les Arcs. Last weekend was the first time this season (six trips so far) that I hadn't skied under more or less perfect blue skies. The compensation, of course, was loads of deep fresh snow to play in. Although I do enjoy skiing bluebird days, I'd much rather have perfect snow conditions and have to make more of an effort to find skiable terrain. Fortunately in Les Arcs there are extensive on and off-piste areas through the trees which are provide an ideal refuge when the cloud closes in.

duncansarmy, I suspect your Rep was hoarding!
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, I would have to a agree that the way to get the best out of a resort is to live there for many years
ski holidays
duncansarmy, You really shouldn't expect reps to know anything - they almost never do. They don't know the resort, the locals and often the language! SHe/he probably hadn't a clue wehre to go. Smile
snow report
Have never had reliable info from a tour Rep yet- Often as suggested above because they are boarders but also because they don't know the resort very well

I have learned more about resorts that I have visited in the last few weeks of following threads on Snowheads. Local knowledge of course is better than anything - Therefore there is a genuine reason to hang around in a bar every night
ski holidays
I went to Peisey Vallandry last week and was also caught up in the 3-4 hr delay from Manc then over 6 hrs getting up the mountain from Geneva. Still was better than some as we heard stories of people spending several days in Bourg or Moutiers as they couldn't even reach their resorts so at least we all got there!

It was a bit of a mixed week but I wasn't too bothered for most of it due to going out with a sprained ankle (long story) but got a beautiful day in on Thursday. Friday was a bit of a downer as my hubby lost his v expensive and uninsured ski in the morning which the group spent nearly 2 hours digging for then got a couple of reasonable runs in Friday afternoon and had one too many when the clouds came down and it took us nearly 1.5 hours to get down from the Vallandry lift as visibility was virtually nil. My special Addidas Elevation specs steamed up so I couldn't see anything so I resorted to looking over my normal specs most of the way down and wishing I'd stayed in the pub with the other girlies instead of going out for an adventure with the boys. Unfortunately we took a wrong turn and nearly ended up in 1800 then finally found our way to the Vanoise Express without knowing how, very scary.

Got back to Manc to also find snow following us but couldn't play in it due to general ankle rubbishness still.

It all made things interesting I suppose wink
ski holidays
Most reps I knew on my seasons did very little actual skiing and a whole lot of drinking, sleeping and working. Too much work, led to too much sleep on the days off and by the time they got out of bed, all there was time to do was drink for the evening! Obviously there are those that weren't like this at all but I have one good friend who rep'd for 8 ski seasons and did 5 days skiing in total!!! She's a bit lazy too though!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy