Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted: Bland, easy, wide, bump-free Pistes!!!

Poster: A snowHead
AlanUK wrote:
do you mean Val D'Esire ? That resort doesn't come off well for timid skiers in any review I have read - so not so sure about that one.

You're quite right in my opinion. Timid intermediates should steer clear of Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes could be good though, and the better skiers would have lots to do as well.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They will never forgive you if you take them to Val d'Isere. Not only are the runs badly signposted, they are underated. A red turns into a black with a no return, alternative option to get down slope. The pistes are not always groomed. Tignes has an abundance of runs for all competencies.

Alternatively if you want to travel, Heavenly at Lake Tahoe has quite, motorway, corduroy slopes. It has one of the most breathtaking views as you ski down. Blush
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oops I meant quiet not quite!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found plenty of dull runs in la plagne last year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, I'd recommend North America. On the east coast there's a lovely resort called Bretton Woods(NH) and it's got lots of lovely blues, beautifully groomed. A bit boring if you're a good intermediate but perfect for your wife. I've skiied there with nervous skiiers and they've loved it. Another good resort is Ragged Mountain, Waterville Valley is a bit more challenging. The good thing I've found about NA resorts is that if you start at the top on a blue run you'll be able to ski blues/greens all the way down - I found it a bit disconcerting when I first skiied in Europe that you could have the blues at the top and then have to ski reds to get to the bottom! Also I found the ungroomed/poorly groomed slopes in Europe much more difficult to ski - love them now though Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alan,

I don't think anyone has mentioned Megeve which I think would be absolutely ideal.

Quite a big area but very little that is challenging - lots of gentle pistes.
Plenty of pistes in the trees for bad weather days
Pretty plus good views of Mont Blanc
Interesting town

issues:
not cheap (but not awful) - populated by lots of French ladies of a certain age in fur coats when I was there
fairly low - wouldn't book a long time in advance for late/early season skiing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alan - I'd also like to throw Val Cenis into the pot - some lovely runs for timid skiers - hey.... I enjoyed it Laughing
I think I'd remove Dans suggestion of Sauze D'oulx though - I enjoyed it this season, but couldn't have coped with it last (Soz Dan!).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

You're quite right in my opinion. Timid intermediates should steer clear of Val d'Isere.

Can't quite agree with this Rob. The runs from the top of the funival at La Daille are great for intermediates, lots of long wide greens and blues - just don't turn left and go down Face!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CP wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

Can't quite agree with this Rob. The runs from the top of the funival at La Daille are great for intermediates, lots of long wide greens and blues - just don't turn left and go down Face!!

But what happens if they fancy the "green" down to La Daille? Or if they're skiing at Solaise and would like to be able to ski back to the village rather than catch a lift back down? The reason why I think timid intermediates should steer clear of Val d'Isere is that there are some serious mis-grading of pistes (especially on the runs into La Daille), and there are no easy runs back to the main village. Undoubtedly there are some gentle gradient pistes available, but in other resorts it is possible to ski home at the end of the day without having to catch a lift back to the resort (which for me is a significant negative point)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tignes has some wide area. 3 vallees also have nice and wide pistes. Megeve, Les Arcs, La Plagne La Rosiere/La Thullie all have nice sections too. For the highest number of green runs then Valmorel, situated before 3 Vallee when entering Tarentaise, is possibly diificult to beat. Swiss and Austria resorts are not known to be wide and gentle but Grindelward (First), part of Verbier and Ski Welt are not bad for skiers prefering wide and gentle skiing.

My vote would to go Alpe Di Siusi of Dolomiti. It is designated as a "family" area and you can have piste flat as a mirror and as wide as a football pitch there. Alpe Di Siusi is in one side of Ortisei about 6 miles to Selva Wolkenstein, a starting point of the famous 40km long Sellaronda circuit. Alpe Di Siusi is linked to Santa Cristina which is then linked to Selva and so it is part of the massive 500+ km piste skiing paradise.

It is possible that the mirror like pistes in Alpe Di Siusi was due to the excellent effort of the Italians grooming the pistes to satisfy the families taste or the place wasn't trafficed on as much as other resorts.

The best part of Alpe Di Siusi is that it is not flooded by the skiers usually preoccupied with the Sellaronda circuit and so you can have the whole massive area to yourselves with very little competition. This feature is unattainable in many French resorts. Red slopes there are also among the easiest. La Thuille has a 11km red slope call San Bearnardo but that needs a bit of walking. Opposite valley of Alpe Di Siusi there is a nice red run 10.5km long totally uninterrupted.

The Corvara, situated in the Alta Badia of the main Sellaronda circuit is also a large resort in its own right. It has a massive number of blue runs and would suit skiers like gentle crusing.

The 40km long Sellaronda circuit is a potential nice run for a day but it is predominately red and has queues along the main loop.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 15-03-06 15:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For unchallenging groomers, manicured to perfection I'd agree Breckenridge and Beaver Creek are probably 2 that fit. I'd also bear in mind that snow quality can make a big difference, fresh snow groomed, although a crime is ultimately much easier to ski than 3 week old re-rolled rubbish or man-made.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds exactly like Ski Welt. Wide slopes, undulating reds and blues only, blacks are mainly limited to the only mountain with anything steep - Hohe Salve, this is impossible to get on to accidentally.

It's low, meadowland not mountains on the whole. There are huge wide pistes with a good, but poorly signed, lift system. There are about 6 different but linked areas, also there are smaller un-linked areas, particularly Ellmau and Going. The linked runs at Ellmau are perfect 2nd week type runs, long enough with no steep sections, no narrow paths.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would echo ( some ) of what easiski says about Breckenridge in terms of there being some extremely flattering ( read dull and boring if you want wink ) blues and greens at this resort. FWIW, in my view blues but especially greens in Europe can sometimes turn out out to be nothing more than than tracks that only serve to link pistes or resorts and so so are not pistes as such. Whereas in the US these runs are exactly that runs for beginners or the timid to hone their skills on.

richmond also makes some good points about Breckenridge, especially the altitude, but I believe that you can 'manage' this by staying hydrated, avoiding large quantities of alcohol, and generally being sensible and acclimatising gently.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good shout Jane L I forgot about the Ski Welt
ski holidays
Talking of Breckenridge, just down the road you've got Copper, which is beautifully arranged so that all the steepest runs are at one end of the mountain, and all the easiest ones at the other. Just start at the easier end, and work your way across until you find the area you're comfortable with. Has the added advantage that you don't get fast skiers on their way to something more challenging on the easier bits, or novice skiers out of their depth on the tougher parts.
latest report
I wouldn't recommend Breckenridge, only because the resort isn't big enough to keep someone sticking to the well groomed cruisers amused for more than a couple of days. I suspect that would apply to a lot of resorts; if you're cutting out a large percentage of the runs, and sticking to the ones that you will ski pretty quickly, you're going to get bored anywhere except the very biggest. You probably want somewhere with abundant mountain restaurants and perhaps the opportunity to ski to another resort (which cuts out most of N.America, I guess).

Ski Welt is good point, I reckon. I have only skied in Westendorf, but it's very pretty, undemanding and quiet. Kitzbuhel is nearby (now joined by lift and short bus) for a bit mopre interesting skiing. Kitzbuhel is a very pleasant town to stay in, and could itself be a good call for reasonably undemanding skiing. They don't over piste, but there are plenty of blues and reds.
ski holidays
richmond, it could be though that the ladies in question take their time to negotiate say a long blue, compared to someone who's happy on black mogul fields, off-piste, doing races, etc. Never been to Breckenridge so can't comment specifically.
snow conditions
I would recommend the glacier at Kaprun. Our first non ski lessons ski holiday was there and it was perfect. There was only one black run on the whole glacier so I knew if I avoided that I could go down anything. I am a very cowardly skier and not interested in doing blacks (although I now get nagged into them by OH) and found it a perfect place to get some confidence.
snow report
richmond wrote:
I wouldn't recommend Breckenridge, only because the resort isn't big enough to keep someone sticking to the well groomed cruisers amused for more than a couple of days. I suspect that would apply to a lot of resorts; if you're cutting out a large percentage of the runs, and sticking to the ones that you will ski pretty quickly, you're going to get bored anywhere except the very biggest. You probably want somewhere with abundant mountain restaurants and perhaps the opportunity to ski to another resort (which cuts out most of N.America, I guess).

Ski Welt is good point, I reckon. I have only skied in Westendorf, but it's very pretty, undemanding and quiet. Kitzbuhel is nearby (now joined by lift and short bus) for a bit more interesting skiing. Kitzbuhel is a very pleasant town to stay in, and could itself be a good call for reasonably undemanding skiing. They don't over piste, but there are plenty of blues and reds.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

But what happens if they fancy the "green" down to La Daille? Or if they're skiing at Solaise and would like to be able to ski back to the village rather than catch a lift back down? The reason why I think timid intermediates should steer clear of Val d'Isere is that there are some serious mis-grading of pistes (especially on the runs into La Daille), and there are no easy runs back to the main village. Undoubtedly there are some gentle gradient pistes available, but in other resorts it is possible to ski home at the end of the day without having to catch a lift back to the resort (which for me is a significant negative point)

Rob,

Quite!!

I was only referring to what runs are available once one gets up - getting back down for La Daille can be fun ( but not for a timid intermediate ) and as for getting off of Solaise, well Puzzled

I guess best bet would be to stay in Tignes and venture over to the Bellevarde area and ski the greens of grande pre, genepy, mont blanc, verte and boursat. But don't go down to Val d'Isere snowHead
latest report
Why am I quoting myself? It wasn't that interesting.
snow report
My recommendation of Alpe Di Siusi (being sold on the back of a resort suitable for families!) in Dolomiti Sellaronda (500+ km piste) is after the experience with the 1600km piste in Tarentaise Valley, over 600km piste in Porte Du Soleil which has a huge easy resort called Les Gets/Morzine, 265km piste of Grand Massif which features a tremendous large and nicely groomed area in Morilon and the 250 km Ski Welt domain made up by 7 linked resort plus the unlinked Westendorf.

Kaprun has 130km piste in total but the majority is with the more difficult area in Zell am See and so with predominately surface drag lifts in a flat glacier it would appear to be too small IMHO. I would say the nearby 200km Leogang linked to Saalbach/Hinterglemm domain to be a better bet.

Kitzbuhel should be classified as a difficult area as it is the favourite venue for competitions and with declared-gradient black slopes although there are nice easy areas away from Jochberg/Hahnenkam area like Kirchberg.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 18-03-06 15:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
jedster, Megeve does get a mention in the good skiing and snowboarding guide so have considered it, but looks expensive and many T.O. don't seem to go from Manchester. laundryman, that's exactly right, no hurry, lots of stops for hot chocolate and to take in the views, no point in getting to the bottom as fast as possible!
snow conditions
Does anyone know anything about the Zillertal Arena area, they went there for a day from Hinterglemm and found some lovely runs, but didn't have time to look around, Mayrhofen comes off well in some reports.
ski holidays
So bland, easy, wide bump-free pistes can be found in Mayrhofen/Zillertal which features the steepest black in Europe.
latest report
Last time I went to Mayerhofen there was only one access gondola plus an old cable car to the other side of the valley. Big queues in summer, winter must be interesting?
ski holidays
I would recommend Les Gets - exactly what she needs
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megeve has loads of wonderful easy runs, all beautifully pisted.
latest report
Definately Courchevel, 1850 and 1650, runs boring as hell at village height. In fact I think the slopes may have actually been running uphill there. Or was I doing it wrong ?!!! Smile
snow report
AlanUK, we went to Mayrhofen last year. We were always at the main Penken gondola by 8.30 and rarely queued longer than 5 mins. Otherwise, you can catch the bus or train and access the other resorts in the valley within a 30min journey. All transport is included on the list pass. Mayrhofen has good nightlife and good hotels. It is easily the best value resort we have visited in Austria for all round hotel quality and extensive skiing. The hotel Neuhaus is situated 1 min walk from the bus and train station for transport to the Penken lift and the other resorts in the valley. Otherwise the Penken lift is about a 10 minute walk. If you stay up near the Penken then you have to walk down to the bus/train station to access the other resorts so I suppose it depends on where you want to focus your skiing. The hotel Neuhaus does excellent food.

There weren't too many moguls as far as I can remember outside of the main Penken ski area. The good thing about the Zillertal valley is that you can visit quieter resorts - as you have already discovered. Eggalm has some good blues and reds and further up the valley Hintertux was never too crowded so it stayed pretty smooth. The Ahorn is very quiet and pretty much a beginners area so it would be good for nervous skiers to build confidence. Finkenberg also has some very wide pistes and I don't remember too many moguls in this area.

The scenery is absolutely stunning.
snow report
Hi Alan. I'm a Colorado resident and second Breckenridge's Peak 7 as mentioned above. The runs are very, very wide. Peak 8 consists entirely of blue runs (considered one step up from beginner here, like red's in Europe but not as steep for the most part), and it doesn't get very busy on that side of the mountain because it can't be reached from the base of the mountain.
snow report
Anniegirl, it's interesting that you suggest the glacier at Kaprun. I was there with a 2nd week skier and he found it too demanding! And as someone else pointed out, it's nearly all draglifts.

Without a doubt the easiest place I've ever skied is Cervinia, but the OP has been there three times already. I would not recommend Verbier though, the piste-map is a nightmare, and apart from the Savolyeres(?) area it's probably too steep.
ski holidays
I am guilty of using the name Kaprun but if it is on a Glacier then it should really be Kitzsteinhorn.

I know Valmorel, which can be reached from the juction just prior to the turning off from the main road to 3 Vallees, is rarely visited by the British skiers but it has one of the highest concentration of green slopes that I know of. It claims to have over 150km piste and so it is a decent-size skiing domain. The resort has one longitudinal strech, with predominantely blue and green slopes, from valley to valley to the far end St Francis Long Champ where skiers can visit the same resort from the opposite end.

I could hold a camera (in video mode) in one hand to follow behind the wife to film her skiing when the slope is mild The longest uninterrupted video record is from Valmorel. I suppose that tells how easy the area is. It still took us a full day just to ski to the opposite end and return. The main run has plenty of more difficult slopes scattered along the way if one needs challenge.

I also filmed the wife skiing in Dolomiti Alpe Di Siusi and have comparable long footages, though the condition of the terrain there made us concentrating in the enjoyment of the slopes rather than on filming for the record purpose.
ski holidays
saikee, thanks will check out Valmorel. Just wondering now if we can grab a week in April, as the prices have dropped so low now if you book 5 days before going, but spring conditions have also arrived! Would be a shame to find the perfect resort, and then have to ski on hard stuff in the morning and slush in the afternoon, so perhaps we should resist the temptation!
latest report
La Plagne dont piste things flat much, just an observation. x
snow report
AlanUK, we still have good skiing in La Rosiere, temps are low so it's not getting slushy, there's well over 3 metres of snow depth and we have space for the last week of the season.
snow report
Quote:

The reason why I think timid intermediates should steer clear of Val d'Isere is that there are some serious mis-grading of pistes (especially on the runs into La Daille), and there are no easy runs back to the main village.

Couldn't agree more. Spent the day today in Espace Killy, did a whole range from so-called green to black, with my saisonnaire son, who was supposedly going very slow for his old mother. Apart from the basic difficulty of the slopes, which obviously varies, most had bumps, including that green to La Daille, which was very enjoyable, but not what I would call green. Nick told me it often has ice at the bottom, though today the snow was great. Also, and this is a major problem for timid skiers, most of the pistes were very crowded by my usual standards. The main drag down into Tignes alongside the Lanches chair is not a difficult slope, but it was very busy, which made it a bit of an effort. It was also lumpy. And this is supposed to be low season! For nervous people I think having quiet, uncrowded slopes could make a big difference. Which probably means steering clear of the big TO destinations. In smaller, "local" areas the lift passes and the beers will be cheaper and you won't be surrounded by British boy racers out of control on their snowboards.
latest report
Someone has probably already said this, but I believe that the runs in Espace Killy are graded by average incline, so that it is posssible to fins a green with some nasty steep pitches. I can't believe that they don't take some other factors into account, but perhaps not. Seems a pretty unhelpful and lazy way to grade runs to me.
snow conditions
AlanUK, Corvara in the Dolomites in Italy has mostly easy blue runs and you get a great sense of 'travelling around'.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy