Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads-need your help desperately!!!

Poster: A snowHead
We've just booked next years holiday-2 weeks in Banff next February with Inghams, flying with Monarch. (We being me, my husband, our daughter and my Mum in Law).

We are obviously very excited-even more so as my MIL isn't a great flyer, but has decided that as the holiday coincides with a rather important birthday for her (I'm too polite to give her age!!) , that she should 'just do it', as the rewards will be well worth it.

However, after having a look online she has decided that she doesn't want to come, as it would seem that Monarch don't have too good a track record-rude, uninterested flight crew, inedible food, seats repaired with duct tape, poor quality movie screens, lack of leg room etc. We have tried to explain to her that leg room/grub etc is something you take a chance with on any flight (no matter how pricey), but she's still not convinced!!

Having spent 23 hours on a cramped Qantas flight from Sydney with no leg room and awful food, I can cope with those things, but to her it means 9 hours of hell-which I guess is understandable as she is nervous about flying anyway.

What I want to know is, do any of you have any experiences of flying to Calgary with Monarch (with or without Inghams). My Hubby recently flew to Yllas with Monarch and had no complaints at all, but she would really like some reassurance that a 9 hour flight will be fine. She's only 5'2" or so bless her, so I can't see the leg room being too much of an issue, it's just all the other little bits that we need help with. We do have the option of flying from another airport with Air Canada-but it means an extra £800 and IMO, no guarantee that the issues she has read about for Monarch won't still apply.

So, have you flown to Calgary with Monarch, or know someone who has? What was your experience like? Even if you have only done shorter flights with them, it will still be reassuring for her to see that non biased people have had decent flights with them.

We're counting on you guys here-we NEED her to be there with us and would hate for her to miss out.

Thanks in advance!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do know a Monarch pilot, if that helps - I would fly with him any day, and have done in the past. I wouldn't have any safety concerns.

I don't think leg room is going to be a major issue for someone who is 5'2". All the other factors - which I'm quite surprised to hear, considering Monarch's generally good reputation - are really only minor issues. I'll have her seat if she doesn't want it Very Happy .
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a couple of friends who are commercial pilots on 737's and Airbus's. Been up with them in a light aircraft and they just inspire confidence... In fact a light aircraft sorts a lot of nervousness out, I think.
And you want to see the disasters that they have to cope with - and pass - at their 6 monthly checkups... You'd laugh...well, they do..!!!! After those, a routine flight sounds a doddle
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
net_masters, I was thinking that it might be worthwhile writing to Monarch themselves and express the fears of your MIL and see what they have to say for themselves?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have only flown with Monarch in Europe and found their planes here to be cramped and avoided if possible - sorry.

Perhaps their transatlantic flights are better.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went this year but flew with Air Canada so can't comment too much on Monarch. I think you are right that a 9 hour flight in economy class is going to be pretty painful regardless of the airline. Air Canada's food wasn't particularly good. Although I'm not that tall the legroom, which is a few inches more than Monarch's, was OK. I believe Monarch also do an upgraded service with extra legroom and different food. Is that an option?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If she's 5'2" legroom is going to be a smaller problem for her than almost anyone else on the flight...anyway, what's 9 hours of your life?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
An 8 or 9 hour flight is never going to be a pleasure, in any class and especially economy, but it's OK. I've flown to Calgery 8 times with various carriers, including Monarch, 6 of them with 2 kids, and it's been fine. I'd say that thay are better then BA (whose longhaul economy seats are a disgrace) but not as good as Air Canada. We took the upgrade once (they changed our flight to stop in Manchester so gave us cheap upgrades); the seats were a lot bigger (but at 5'2", what's her problem?). The food is as you would expect, not great but edible.

If you can go Air Canada for £800 for all of you, I'd think about it, as you'll probably get more convenient flight times and might be ble to ski on the last day (we have a couple of times). That's about the same price as the Monarch upgrade; I'd go for Air Canada.

It sounds to me as if the old trout doesn't like flying full stop. Gin often helps, I understand. Can't you leave her at home?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
net_masters, a mate of mine flew with Monarch to Calgary. Your comments on their performance appear to match what he said.

Ian Hopkinson,
Quote:
what's 9 hours of your life?
Depends how old you are, I suppose. If you're 90, it could be 90% of what you've got left.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
net_masters, we flew with Monarch, and Inghams, to Banff 3 years ago. We were late booking and therefore had no choice but to upgrade to premium class. If you can, do it! It made the world of difference, just those little extras! Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I flew with Monarch to Gibraltar and the food was disgusting. However, didn't seem particularly less comfortable than BA and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the plane (although I'm hardly an expert). They did seem to run everything professionally though - it took us 3 attempts to land at Gib as there was a massive storm and the visibility was zero but pilot seemed prepared for everything and had already radioed ahead to Morocco just in case. A friend of the family was until recently a pilot with them and he said he'd have no problems flying with them as a passenger. And their TV is great! They showed one of my favourite episodes of Spooks Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bruv in law works for BA. The only charter operator they even consider using is Monarch.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've flown with Monarch twice to Banff (well, Calgary to be precise Little Angel ). First time was economy and we swore if possible we wouldn't do that again but purely because of the cramped conditions. The staff, food and films were no different than any other flight we've been on (and in fact were probably better than our recent Air Canada flight to Vancouver). The second time we upgraded to Premium class with Monarch - a whole load of difference & well worth the extra if you can get it. A choice of films on your own screen, much better food and service and of course much more room both sideways and for legs (economy class has 9 seats across the width of the plane, premium has 8 ). See if you can upgrade to the Premium class. Otherwise I'd reassure her as she'll be fine with leg room at her height and as there's a few of you going she wouldn't be sat next to a stranger which is always a bit difficult when you're rubbing elbows trying to eat your dinner. I do hope she comes with you.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 11-03-06 21:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
net_masters, I haven't flown with Monarch in a long time as I organise my own travel these days. My recollection is entirely neutral.

I flew to Toronto with Air Canada this summer and the aircraft was somewhat bit tatty and worn inside. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to Business on the outbound leg and the food was OK. I wasn't on the return flight and the food was ok.

I would be astonished if Monarch were any "worse" in any description.

Really, what it looks like doesn't matter.

Although I fly at least every 2 weeks, sometimes more frequently, I have become an irrationally anxious flyer. I found my GP very sympathetic and he prescribed a very small quantity of little yellow happy pills for use on long hauls (I normally only do Europe). Even knowing these are in my bag makes me feel better. Don't mix them with alcohol though!

Also, there are a number of fear of flying courses that apparently work well. You might find she end up getting moved on for parking at the end of the Heathrow runway for plane spotting...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have flown Monarch to Calgary in January on my way to Banff. I thought they were excellent as a charter service the plane was clean and the staff on board were really helpful and friendly. It may be worth up grading to premier class if you can although costs more. You get your own movie player and wider seats with more leg room. I would travel with them again quite happily.
ski holidays
no pain without gain.
snow report
Prog99 and I flew with Monarch (through Inghams) to Calgary in March. The flight arrived early both directions and we had no problems at all (the hour+ wait for bags in Calgary is another matter, take a book!). The pilot pointed out some of the cool icebergs and frozen sea around Greenland which was pretty awesome Smile

The plane was clean, toilets etc clean. The food was fine, nothing special but airline food is never gourmet cuisine! It was certainly of equivalent standard to the scheduled carriers I've gone across pond with (BA, Continental).

Some useful tips:
* They come around with a snack/drink service before the meal so if you have hungry nippers take some snacks for them or they'll be wailing when all the other kiddies have sweets/crisps etc.
* As with most charter airlines you have to pay for all your drinks so I'd suggest taking water/soft drinks etc. with you.

I would have no problems flying with them again, as charter airlines go I'd say they are one of the best. If only I could persuade them to fly from Edinburgh or Glasgow - the drive to and from Manchester was far far worse than the plane ride. On the way down it was overnight due to the early start, on the way back it was straight off the flight and onto the motorway = ZZZZ.

Why not upgrade the MIL to premium class if it will get her on the plane?
snow report
A few glasses of Bolly pre long haul sorts a lot of problems out. Helps you sleep through it.
ski holidays
We never eat airline food now but try to have a good meal at the airport and then take sandwiches and other nice things to eat on the plane. Take your own water as well. And for nine hours I'd go with those inflatable neck pillow things and an eye cover of some sort to aid sleeping. Coupled with a good book, a psp and a dvd player there is no need to interact with the flight crew at all - especially if you get a window seat.

If she just doesn't want to fly then you may need to play the disappointed and upset grand-daughter card - its very powerful and rarely fails.
snow report
I was pleasantly surprised by Monarch premium economy...
snow conditions
drive.
ski holidays
We went last year - if she's worried about leg room then you can book extra leg room seats for a bit extra (without upgrading to premium class) though try to get the side sections because we were in the middle and everyone decided that our extra legroom was in fact their right of way Mad Apart from that, as others suggest, take your own drinks and snacks. We had no problems with them at all - no duct tape rude staff, or anything else. And standard legroom certainly wasn't that bad - we didn't get the extra on the way back, and it was annoying for the taller people in our party, but I managed fine and I'm taller than your grandmother! (You could print out this thread and show it to her!)
latest report
My husband is an anxious flyer and has been prescibed diazipam. It makes him quite drowsy so the in-flight entertainment is less of an issue.
ski holidays
net_masters, I'm 5"2. Trust me when I say there ain't no such thing as "cramped" for short women (and I've done numerous 24hrs+ trips to NZ & back).

First things first:
1) Long-haul economy is painful. Just is. (well, lets face it - 9hrs sitting still, watching re-runs, eating reheated food, and having to tolerate strangers in your personal space, is no-one's idea of fun).

2) all airlines are "crap" in some sense or another. Some are just less crap than others.

If your MIL doesn't understand these points, and if you insist she comes with, then you're in for a hell of a holiday (and not in a good way).

But in any case, from where I'm sitting it sounds like she's going to be a pain even if you can overcome the flight thing- the kind of person who, even if you got her a 1st class ticket, would find something to complain about. Wouldn't be surprised if her complaints will also continue after the plane has landed (the transfer's too long, the food isn't right, the room is too cramped etc, ad nausem). She's acting as if her travelling with you is doing you a favour. And yet she's already looking for excuses not to go. In the nicest possible way, sod her.

Take rest of family, enjoy, and when you return tell MIL about the massive fun you had in her absence. Bet she'll come next time.
ski holidays
net_masters, see here for a table of seat pitches. Note that Monarch has a premium economy class with a very respectable pitch. Since it is a milestone birthday, you could discreetly let it be known at check in, and you might get an upgrade. This ruse has worked for me on BA when whisking Mrs L away for milestone anniversaries.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
Note that Monarch has a premium economy class with a very respectable pitch. Since it is a milestone birthday, you could discreetly let it be known at check in, and you might get an upgrade.

Unfortunately this would be unlikely to work as the Premiun class gets booked up quite quickly and there's unlikely to be any empty seats. It 'only' costs about £170 more than standard economy but is worth it (and not just for the free drinkies wink )
ski holidays
Cathy Coins, there's the option of just paying the premium for the taller members of the party!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
5'2" !!!! and complaining about legroom !!!!!

The old folk of today .... don't know they're born .... etc. grumble, moan, girn, etc. ....

Try being 6'3", I've had many a bruised kneecap to show for longhaul flights rolling eyes

tbh, I've been business class a few times and the food's not great there either, the champagne helps pass the time though wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Manda, you've hit the nail on the head.
ski holidays
brian, ha! Try being 6'8"! I hate having to turn up as early as possible to try and get an exit row.... coupla hours is OK (such as to GVA Very Happy ) but any more...
latest report
 brian
brian
TallTone, respect !

btw, don't take kids, they don't let you sit in the exit row with them !
ski holidays
Don't worry brian, they ain't coming to VT with me Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Oh and I can moan all day about how the world is loaded against the extremely tall... if anyone catches me at it at the EoSB, just nod and smile and don't take it too seriously! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 brian
brian
TallTone, on the upside, you never miss anything at a concert Very Happy
latest report
brian, nor do I have to put my nose anywhere near sweaty armpits on the tube Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
TallTone wrote:
brian, ha! Try being 6'8"! I hate having to turn up as early as possible to try and get an exit row.... coupla hours is OK (such as to GVA Very Happy ) but any more...

TallTone because of your height you have a very valid reason to be pre-boarded with easyJet. I know that at Gatwick this is no problem whatsoever. When checking in, just ask... wink
ski holidays
Michelle, Easyjet pre boarded our party this year. They asked for "anyone boarding with young children". Several obviously misheard it as "any really geeky looking mid 20s blokes travelling solo, please try and rush on now". Easyjet obviously train their ground crew in delivering top quality "withering looks" as my input was not required.
snow conditions
Michelle, never thought of that, will make myself a note to ask. Thanks! Smile
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, this should always be done for those travelling with infants or children under the age of 10 - as easyJet has a free seating policy, this allows families to sit together. When you get your boarding card look at the bottom letters - PB, A, B, C, or D. This is the order in which you should be boarded. The afore mentioned, also those with disabilities and the elderly if frail, should all have PB (pre-board) circled - if not, get the check in desk to change it and then make sure that you're ready at the gate before
Quote:
any really geeky looking mid 20s blokes travelling solo, please try and rush on now
get there Laughing It can be well controlled - it can also be mayhem, as you well know!
NOTE: when they do say:
Quote:
anyone travelling with young children
they actually mean:
Quote:
any pre-boards

We do sometimes get families who wander on last, when there's about four seats left on the aircraft and then wonder why they can't sit together - usually some kind peeps move for them rolling eyes
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Michelle, how much height do you need ? Is very nearly 6'4" enough ?

No self interest here then rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy