Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Merino wool, is it all hype?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I got suckered by the marketing hype and bought an Icebreaker merino wool base layer.

After two days I went back to my old Hellies. The Icebreakers got sweaty then cold and clammy

Have I missed something here? Whats all the fuss about?

And no I didn't wear cotton over them just a single medium fleece and breathable shell.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rich,
Quote:

After two days I went back to my old Hellies. The Icebreakers got sweaty then cold and clammy

I have the HH wool blend thermals. No problems for me, though I do not tend to get overly hot when I ski. If you can, return your Icebreaker to the retailer, as it is not performing as advertised.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wore an icebreaker base layer (the slightly thicker one - the 260?), a mid layer (one of the the sport 320 zip neck tops) and a North Face shell (XCR) in Breckenridge two weeks ago. Worked beautifully, possibly slightly cool on one or two of the longer chairs but no sweatiness or clamminess at all.

Wore them all week as well - didn't whiff at all.

Yes they're expensive but based on my experience so far I wouldn't be without them. (And I've used all sorts before - Sub Zeros, helly, no name thermals, all sorts of random rowing kit...)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rich,
Where did you buy your icebreaker ? I have one of these tops and in my opinion it's the best thing since sliced bread ! Usually just ski with this under my jacket as it keeps me really warm. Maybe the layer your wearing over the icebreaker is not "breathable/vented" ? where from / how much did you pay for your icebreaker by the way ?

rgds
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I swear by merino base layers (for skiing, biking and mountaineering). I once wore one for two whole weeks (including sleeping) on a camping expedition in NW Scotland and the top barely whiffed. (Unless I'd just got used to the pong Confused )

I think you were probably overheating: for skiing in February, I wear a mid-weight (260) top, micro fleece (Polartec 100 or lighter) and shell. In spring, the base layer and shell is normally enough, or base and fleece. A thick fleece is for standing around in, not expending any energy!

To quote Phil and Brian at Snoworks: "It's a sport, not a holiday!"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Love them, but its important not to run too warm so you need to know your gear...
I can wear an icebreaker and mid soff shell and hard shell and be ok down to -10 easily..
If colder I use a 200 fleece or use a microfleece instead.... accept that you may a little cold if you are standing aorund too much. But since we are skiing this is good...

Can't see the circumstances where an icebreaker and microfleece plus fleece and hard shell would be useable...so if you wear too much you will overpower anything IMV
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is anyone doing a race glove with Merino lining (as Smartwool used to do)?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
god, how do you people keep warm with so few layers? I wear about 4 or 5 minimum (all technical stuff) and still freeze! Am I odd?!

Maybe I should try this merino wool. My only question is, does it itch? I would never be able to wear normal wool next to my skin without itching - even have to wear tights under my suit trousers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use only Merino wool. I sweat alot and overpower synthetics. Smartwool is the only thing i've found that works on my; torso, feet and hands. I use Dry-flo(synthetic) on my legs. Smell sweet. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1 wrote:
god, how do you people keep warm with so few layers? I wear about 4 or 5 minimum (all technical stuff) and still freeze! Am I odd?!

Maybe I should try this merino wool. My only question is, does it itch? I would never be able to wear normal wool next to my skin without itching - even have to wear tights under my suit trousers.

Too many layers can be counter-productive: if the insulating layers are compressed, they won't insulate. Also if you overheat when exercising, you'll sweat too much, cooling you down when you stop working. (The problem experienced by rich)

It doesn't itch - it's knitted from extremely fine fibres. Some people will probably find it irritates a bit, but only those who are hyper-sensitive to that sort of thing. Try it before you buy it: Icebreaker stuff is in pretty much all the big gear shops these days (S&R, EB, etc). Try New Zealand websites as well - they'll have a bigger range and it's much cheaper (I got some 3/4 length long-johns last year - not available in the UK - and they arrived within two weeks, for £30).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got talked into buying an Icebreaker top by the salesman in Blacks in Holborn, who said he also used them for cycling and swore by them.

I normally buy cheap, but fair play to the man they were worth every penny.

They are not rough against the skin and they were great to sit outside restaurants at lunchtime.

My only worry now is moths !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Latchigo, Every piece i have has little holes all over them. Little Angel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1,

Before the first wash it may itch, afterwards its fine.... A very comfortable piece.

The stuff that I have that is toast are my Eider microfleece, Icebreaker base and MH Fleece 200.

My other fleece base layers don't work as well and they include Oldo, Peter Storm -cheapie - and F&T so I am going to use them for golf or something.. I'll keep the Oldo for warmer days or to run with the3 200 fleece...
Its all about knowing what works for you...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like beanie1, I find wool against my skin very irritant. I've tried a Merino base and there was no way I could've survived it. My suit trousers are mostly lined, so that unlike beanie1 I don't have to wear tights under mine. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy