Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun

Poster: A snowHead
Question for the apartment owners I guess.

I’m in the process of looking at apartments for our family holiday next year. We’re after a Saturday to Saturday booking, and the apartment owner has said that’s fine but has stated a preference for Sunday to Sunday bookings.

Is it possible for an apartment owner to have a mix of bookings? Surely if you do, you’ll end up having to sacrifice a week where you have a Sunday finish with a Saturday start the following week?

I guess my question is, even if they accept my Sat to Sat booking, if they start receiving Sun to Sun bookings, is there a chance that they could cancel me once they realise the weeks don’t quite fit.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Handy Turnip, they could sell a shorter week and they can be more flexible at quieter points of season.

For next April I have booked somewhere Friday to Saturday - 8nights (they normally do sat - sat but were happy to be flexible as it was right at the end of the season and hence quieter. It meant they got the booking rather than those which were rigidly sticking to Saturday to Saturday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Handy Turnip, I often have a mix of Saturday and Sunday arrivals. I rarely have a gap I can't fill. It sometimes helps our cleaning team if we have a day in between. I wouldn't cancel.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Handy Turnip, not sure how you're travelling, but if you're flying flights are likely to be cheaper on a Sunday and if you're driving there will be fewer people on the road, so the Sunday option may be preferable if there are no other constraints.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try booking something for a Thursday to Thursday - you get a lot of fun reactions on that one.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Handy Turnip, who are yo booking through? There ought to be a contract in place...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @NickyJ, @Hells Bells - that really puts my mind at ease.

We're booking in April so I'm guessing for them it's better to get the booking than not. Plus the following week is the second week of Easter school hols, and so he'll still have the option of doing Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun for that week. I'm guessing that there won't be that much demand for any of the other weeks in April.

@sj1608, yes I can definitely see the benefits of Sunday to Sunday. However, with the family trip it's useful to a free day on the Sunday to start the mammoth unpacking/washing process (and generally have a day of recovery) before work the next day.

@ItaloSkier, I can imagine!!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, it's through AirBnB - their generous cancellation policy always worries me!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 3-05-19 16:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its nice to see I'm not the only person who books so far in advance. Some people think I'm crazy. I see it as an opportunity to look forward to a trip for months and months...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ItaloSkier, yes, when it comes to apartments I find the best value ones get booked early. So I like to get it done as soon as possible!

Which is why it'll be even more frustrating if, after all that effort, the owner cancels, as I'll struggle to find anything as good at a later stage (a full refund doesn't really help if it costs me twice as much to find somewhere else).

However, no point worrying about something that may not happen, so am going to book anyway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Handy Turnip, hmmm, we get pretty sorely penalised if we cancel on a guest iirc. Can include financial penalties as well as reputational ones.

I certainly wouldn't cancel a booking I'd taken just because I thought I could get a better one.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Thanks @NickyJ, @Hells Bells - that really puts my mind at ease.

We're booking in April so I'm guessing for them it's better to get the booking than not. Plus the following week is the second week of Easter school hols, and so he'll still have the option of doing Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun for that week. I'm guessing that there won't be that much demand for any of the other weeks in April.

@sj1608, yes I can definitely see the benefits of Sunday to Sunday. However, with the family trip it's useful to a free day on the Sunday to start the mammoth unpacking/washing process (and generally have a day of recovery) before work the next day.

@ItaloSkier, I can imagine!!! Laughing Laughing

If you are looking first week of Easter holidays you will still have bank holiday Monday though before going back to work.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh and not just you. I booked our April one last weekend Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, that’s good to know. I assumed there must be something in place to dissuade owners from cancelling. Must admit, I always have reservations about booking an apartment where I can see that the owner has cancelled someone previously.

@NickyJ, doh! That’s a good point! Already booked it on a Sat-Sat now!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Handy Turnip, ha ha Happy still we are keen to come back on that weekend on Saturday as gives us two days to get sorted before going back to work. Saying that our flight back will get us home late so we will crash as Mum and Dads before driving home on the morning.
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, so now you have the option to extend by a day.......... Very Happy
latest report
@sj1608, very true! Like @NickyJ I think we’ll take the option of an extra recovery day. I love the family ski trips with the little uns but it can be a bit intense at times!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, I think their generous cancellation policy applies more to you as a guest, but not to us owners. We would be penalised.
snow report
@Hells Bells, yes that would make more sense. Not sure why, but I always assumed it worked the same both ways - but good to know it doesn't!
snow conditions
Our booking agents cis immobilier do Saturday to Saturday. One set of guests are out about 12 and the next lot in at 5 giving 5 hours to clean and check the apartment.

However when there's is not a booking the next week they will extend to the Sunday but in 15 years this has only happened once.

@ItaloSkier, there is no problem with Thursday to Thursday bookings. You have the apartment for 2 weeks.
ski holidays
@johnE, and of course you pay for two weeks. A 6 night gap isn't that bad to fill but Thurs-Thurs makes for 4/5 nights and 2/3 nights at either end which just isn't feasible. I do offer short breaks at last minute, but only if dates will marry up with existing bookings and doesn't leave gaps that can't be filled. I've always tried to be flexible, but will price accordingly if it is blocking two weeks.
snow report
@johnE, I suspect that’s because you are with a native agency.

Out of peak weeks most of our smaller apartment rentals are now long weekends with mid week dates often filled in.

Thankfully, we can manage that...
snow report
Yup and paying for two weeks is not an option so we found a hotel with a junior suite type arrangement that worked well for us.
snow conditions
I'm always concerned about using AirBnB a way in advance for peak time bookings, as there seems to be limited disincentive for hosts to cancel, and the additional costs to the guest could be very significant.

From AirBnB info for hosts:
Quote:
Because cancellations disrupt guests' plans and impact confidence in the Airbnb community, the following penalties will be applied for host cancellations.
Cancellation fee

We may waive the cancellation fee, depending on how many times you’ve already cancelled. After that, the following fee will be deducted from your first payout after a cancellation. The amount deducted will depend on when you accepted the reservation and how soon before check-in you cancelled it:

More than 7 days before check-in, we’ll deduct $50 from your next payout
Less than 7 days before check-in, we’ll deduct $100 from your next payout

From AirBnB info for guests:

Quote:
What happens if my host cancels my reservation?

If your reservation is cancelled by your host, we'll automatically give you a full refund.
snow conditions
I have to say the number of places I have looked at which have a review which says “host cancelled booking x days before”, which has always made me nervous of using Air BnB but I don’t know if my prejudice is unfair or not...
ski holidays
@NickyJ, I've used Air BnB a fair bit, and have also used listings where I've seen that host cancelled booking x days before, and never had an issue. BUT, I've only been prepared to book if I think I have a reasonable chance of securing an alternative, should a host cancel on me. So I'm relaxed about it in cities with lots of accomodation, and outside of peak times. I'd be wary of booking for a peak ski week, especially if I had odd dates that crossed a weekend.
latest report
@Gämsbock, this is interesting as it's really part of the deal that I pay no attention to as if we accept a booking, it's a done deal.
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
@NickyJ, I've used Air BnB a fair bit, and have also used listings where I've seen that host cancelled booking x days before, and never had an issue. BUT, I've only been prepared to book if I think I have a reasonable chance of securing an alternative, should a host cancel on me. So I'm relaxed about it in cities with lots of accomodation, and outside of peak times. I'd be wary of booking for a peak ski week, especially if I had odd dates that crossed a weekend.

This is the thing we are stuck to school holidays- although, Easter isn’t so bad but Feb half term, Is a real concern.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, I'm sure any professional renter has that attitude - but then they'll probably be adverstising on other platforms as well. If possible, I prefer to book direct, and am happy to pay what looks like an established business who provide a rental contract by bank transfer - as you say, I just expect them to honour the booking. But there's no requirement for adverstisers on AirBnB to do so. Booking dot com and the like allow guests to cancel last minute - so they do - so my assumption is that if AirBnB allow hosts to cancel last minute, then they will.
snow report
I’ve used AirBnB many times without issue, and the majority of owners are professional and know that one cancellation could effect future business (as mentioned before I tend to avoid apartments where the owner has cancelled on guests).

That said, it only needs to happen one time and your holiday could be ruined.
snow conditions
@under a new name, that's the only decent way to behave.
ski holidays
I had go cancel a booking three days before due to us needing to leave and fly back for FIL funeral (typical NI - buried in 3 days!!)

If it hadn’t been such extenuating circumstances we would have lost superhost status (a big deal in where you show up on the list) and paid compensation to the guest. Airbnb paid that.
latest report
@Gämsbock, I would much prefer you booked directly with me! AirBnB doesn't gouge everyone the way Booking does so I don't mind so much - but I would prefer to have more open comms.

We give anyone who repeat books directly rather than with e.g. Booking a discount - split the commission we'd have paid otherwise with them.

We had to cancel one group (because they wanted to up the booking and take our larger apartment) and because it was a late booking anyway they'd have lost their deposit. Was quite a long story. Re-assuringly difficult, as it were.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy