Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski equipment, safety first.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all I need some urgent advice on purchasing my first set of skis and boots. I have a very serious head condition that means I have to be extreme careful when skiing. This works out fine normally but I find that when I do fall its normally due to my ski's not being adjusted correctly or maybe poorly maintained.

To stop this I feel I need to get my own equipment. However, now I want to buy the skis/boots I don't actually know anything about them. I'm a reasonably good skier and normally select advanced on the settings machine at Chillfactore Manchester. But on the slopes I'm not as good but still have the higher setting.

With this in mind can anyone advise on what would be good ski/boots? I'm size 5 and normally use a 140 ski. So naturally my biggest concern is safety.

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Find a good boot fitter. Got mine in Bicester, excellent service. Where do you live? snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@alexb123a, There's quite a lot going on there. Notwithstanding your head condition, your boots need to fit properly and your skis need to be at the right setting for you and probably not be too aggressive. You say that when you fall its normally due to your skis not being adjusted correctly or maybe poorly maintained. How do you know this? You go on to say you are not as good on the slopes so is it possible it could be your technique? When you say you have the higher setting - do you meant the DIN setting? Do the skis come off when you fall? What DIN setting do you use? What is your age, height, weight, gender? What do you mean by a reasonably good skier - in other posts you say you have only skied once in Andorra, and when you went to Les Coches you hardly skied.

Getting good boots that fit is a good idea, but no-one on here can tell you what would be good for you - you need to got o a boot fitter who will decide. You will get some recommendations for skis - 140cm are very short, and that may well be a good length for you as you do do not want to be aggressive, but depending on answers above longer might be more stable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Puzzled

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 29-04-19 15:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it fishing season already?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, must be an early start this year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You need to read the guy or gals posing history. Either they are a troll or completely whacko or suffering from the brain injury they said they had/have.

Either way I wouldn't waste your time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alexb123a, I suspect you are overestimating the role of the skis and boots in your tumbles however if you are keen on skiing having your own kit is a great idea as the boots will fit properly and you’ll get used to the skis and be sure they are set up right for you. As to whats best, as stated above a good bootfitter is the best place to start. Having got them sorted look for some skis that suit your skill level and be sure the bindings are set bang on for your stats.
Good luck.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@alexb123a, do you think that it's your equipment that's causing the falls or that it's making the falls more serious? If you think the equipment is causing the falls, specifically what aspect of it?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy