Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi Res view of touring area at the Lautaret

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Whilst chilling at our favourite bar up at the Col du Lautaret, Cafe de la Ferme, today after a superb ski tour, though not in the sectors in the photo (did that one yesterday when there were only two other tracks), took this photo below.

However, if you click on this link you'll get the High Res version which you can then zoom in on. where you can see the various routes/tracks, especially one to the classic Pic Quest de Combeynot.

Nearly all the ridge is well above 3,000m and was once glaciated, nowadays I'm not too sure how much is left glaciates, should know as I'm up there so often in the summer cycling.

There are numerous routes to the various summits you can see on the ridge and to the right of the picture is the Col de Laurichard and the Roc Noire de Combeynot.

I just make do with some of the easier to access ridges, like the furthest right of picture.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 1-05-19 6:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and if you'd rather see it from the top this is when we skied it back in 2008, in some difficult snow conditions (light crust on powder)

http://youtube.com/v/zk-h0_AiLsY
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, Judging by that looks like that must have been when you were a member of CAF Grenoble Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, looks great! Do you have the harness and other glacier gear or choose routes to avoid risk of crevasses?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@leggyblonde, you do see people tooled up with all the gear, but I'm not too sure now how much is glacier anymore; I should know as I'm up that way on a regular basis cycling in the Summer rolling eyes

We just stick to easier terrain and have been known to do laps of 500m just to ski powder rather than be a classic Frenchie to get to the summit and then not ski the descent that well.

Should imagine that today, being May Day holiday it will be rammed up there with them all, conditions again look good, we're going Col de Granon way, La Gardiole with one guy who has never toured before, though yesterday he cycled Briancon to the Lautaret so I can see what his excuses will be Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, saw some pics of a pretty big slide in the middle of that face. From yesterday I think
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arno, Yes I posted that on here somewhere - happened on Saturday - you can see it on the High Res right on the left
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy