Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sarenne, Alpe d'Huez - death of a glacier

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.skipass.com/forums/enmontagne/direct/alpes/sujet-52636.html

Take a look at this thread on SkiPass. In French, but just browse through the posts, the pictures speak for themselves. I like (?) the scanned images from the 1973 and 1980s tourist brochures, near the bottom of the thread.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well worth a look. So sad.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blimey! Is that the end of the glacier for ever, or could 10 years of decent winter snow recover it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apos for being chauvinistic but I just wish more pretty girls would ski in hot pants and bikinis!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, taken in the early hedonistic seventies, aren't we so much more cynical these days? Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't believe how the climate is changing so much.Will it recover ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, n Wow! Shocked I know from looking across that every year it's been significantly worse for the last 6-10. I had no idea though, that it had ever been THAT snowy. Shocked Shocked Also note that the earlier photos/piste maps show a different cable car which didn't reach as high as the Pic Blanc, and therefore the lifts shown were relatively far down. Of course it's south facing which certainly can't help. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bump. Some suggestion that the Alps were largely glacier free about 4000 years ago.

http://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/receding-swiss-glaciers-reveal-4000-year-old-forests-warmists-try-to-suppress-findings/

No doubt if the Glaciers continue to reduce more evidence will be revealed. Certainly I wonder how the climate was in the UK 2000 years ago for communities to choose to live on top of the hills in our area. Bloody cold even today.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AndAnotherThing.., living on top of a hill probably had more to do with defending yourself against marauding picts than being a nice warm place to be.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Climates change, that is a fact how much we are responsible and how much is down to natural cycles is still debatable.

What will they call it when we head into the next ice age ? ( do not think global warming quite fits ).

re living on a hill in Britian well we had a lot more forested areas and marsh areas to contend with as well as other hostile tribes, it was more an age of "give me your wife, sheep and pigs or else ", than " Friends Romans countrymen lend me your ears".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
blimey! Is that the end of the glacier for ever, or could 10 years of decent winter snow recover it?

Happy

look at this image for the shrinkage between 2005 and 2016, it was even worse last autumn, you can barely find the ice although there is some permafrost under the rocks, it is dead.

Bizarrely even the length of the Sarenne run has shrunk. The last few times I've done it I've measured it at just under 10km whereas all the websites and newspapers say 16 to 18km !

some stills,

1980s, summer skiing

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree the length of the Sarenne run is vastly overestimated - we measured 8km to the Chalvet lift, can't be more than a further 2km to AlpAuris
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s really useful to see these images and time sequences. I did not think that I would see in my lifetime the massive reduction of the Alpine ice and snowfields. Yes, we’ve had some great years skiing - 2010-11, 2017-18, this season...but the long term changes are easy to see and easy to trace. The global stats show 90pc of glaciers shrinking and a handful accumulating (Greenland data is particularly controversial). But my ‘micro experience’ is that there has been rapid and massive change in dozens of places where we climbed in the 1990’s (Flaine, Chamonix valley) and which had snowfields all over the place in the Summer (vast majority gone), had small icefields (vanished), and North face bound by ice (regrettably now rock chutes everywhere). What were quick neve sections - eg up to the Bertol Hut at 3111m - are now acres of balanced, shattered moraine - slow and dangerous. I don’t know the answer to the question ‘how quickly and is it possible for these glaciers to re-accumulate?...’ but I suspect it needs constant air temp below freezing, plus higher snowfall. Which we are not getting anymore, that’s for sure....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What is interesting is that in early 2000 the Sarenne was predicted to disappear by 2050, now they say gone by 2025. This seeming acceleration has got experts into a tizzy about the rate of global warming. The former French environment minister, Nicolas Hulot, even had a nervous breakdown over it all.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 29-04-19 11:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
It really illustrates how much change there has been yet people still deny that climate change is happening. None so blind as those who won’t see.z
ski holidays
@DidierCouch & @davidof re length of runs - all ski areas add in a 'fudge factor' when calculating the published length of a ski run - apparently to take into account the fact that (most) skiers don't ski down in a straight line but make turns... It is all a complete con as there is no 'standard fudge factor' so each resort can decide by how much it multiplies the 'straight line length' to get its 'skier's length'...
ski holidays
there is no doubt we are in a period of global warming, but it wont last, lets not forget we have also had several ice ages, the next one could be just around the corner, obviously not in our lifetime, but when it comes people will be complaining of global cooling.
ski holidays
I started summer alpine mountaineering back in 1981, and the nature of many routes has changed out of all recognition since then, glacier crossings and snowy ridges are now unstable moraine fields, and shattered rocky ribs. The change has been huge. I used to read books of the "Golden Age" of alpine mountaineering - basically the Victorian era, and the photos and reports from then again showed huge differences between then and the 1980s. My understanding is though, that the retreat of the glaciers has been going on since the "little ice age" in the 1600's. Large masses of ice take a very long time to melt, so while they built up during a cold spell, they have only slowly melted when actually the climate was already too warm to sustain them. The rate of melting has increased, partly due to increased temperatures, but also due to the fact that a smaller mass of ice is more prone to melting than a large mass, so ever more is lost each summer. Even if we were to stop global warming now, or even reverse it to 1980s levels most of the alpine glaciers would still melt, as it has been too warm to sustain them for ever for a great many decades.
snow report
compostcorner wrote:
there is no doubt we are in a period of global warming, but it wont last

Are you a mate of Trump?
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
... Are you a mate of Trump?

I don't think he has mates, just people who are worse educated and more stupid than he is who don't mind being taken for fools.
latest report
@RobinS this makes sense as the temperature difference between now and the 1980s can’t be the only explanation for the extent of the retreat of the Kitzsteinhorn glacier.
ski holidays
They opened the glacier once briefly for summer skiing about 2008. After a really good winter I think but there wasn't much open. First time for many years and the last Sad

https://flic.kr/p/XP119M

Photos from August 1967 and August 2017 (taken from my balcony) of the glacier on Roche de la Muzelle, 3465m. It's just across the valley, perhaps 50% smaller over 50 years. Our skiable glacier has deteriorated too, still open in summer but not for the last 2 years at Toussaint.

I skied the Sarenne several times this winter. I seem to remember Ski Tracks showing 15km, I'll check.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 30-04-19 9:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Claude B wrote:

I skied the Sarenne several times this winter. I seem to remember Ski Tracks showing 15km, I'll check.

You must do a lot of traversing Happy

I never manage more than 10km from top to the Auris lift. About 1700m of vertical, not the 2000+ advertised either.

The "glacier" last opened in the summer in 2012; prior to that it was 2007, not sure it opened in between those dates.
snow report
Very Happy possibly, it was New Year, a lot of traffic. They also have signs up for plus grand dénivelé Shocked Not even in Oisans. Ours is more, about 2250m, top to Mont de Lans.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 30-04-19 9:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I didn't realise it had opened that recently. Memory going Very Happy
snow conditions
I was also at La Grave last August, it doesn't look too great up there either

snow report
Claude B wrote:
Very Happy possibly, it was New Year, a lot of traffic. They also have signs up for plus grand dénivelé Shocked Not even in Oisans. Ours is more, about 2250m, top to Mont de Lans.

+1 Happy

I think you can get 2000m + in ADH by skiing from the Pic Blanc to Oz via the Fare... but I've never skied at ADH when the Fare is open so I've never tried this but it looks fun and more of a challenge than the Sarenne.

I like the Sarenne though but it is true, it does get very very busy, especially the last little bit of steep in the gorge before it exits out onto the flat.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
I think you can get 2000m + in ADH by skiing from the Pic Blanc to Oz via the Fare... but I've never skied at ADH when the Fare is open so I've never tried this but it looks fun and more of a challenge than the Sarenne.

To Vaujany not Oz. And yes it's a great ski. But yes Fare is closed a fair amount.
ski holidays
Skiing down to Enversin gets you 2100m or so of vertical. It is pretty consistently steep, unlike the Sarenne.

I also have a soft spot for the Sarenne. If you catch it when it’s quiet and good snow (rare admittedly) it’s lovely. I did the run out this winter into a strong headwind which was terrible. Had to pole the whole way. The Grand Sablat before had been breakable crust except for about 8 turns with bad visibility. All in all a very average experience Laughing

Incidentally, our guide semi-joked that they scrape around every year to establish the continued presence of the Glacier du Grand Sablat. The guides want it to be there so that ski instructors can’t access that line. He also confirmed that the Pyramide is rarely skiable now because the entrance has become too gnarly as a result of the retreat of the glacier up there. A shame because that used to access some classic lines Sad

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 30-04-19 10:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I skied Fare a couple of times this year and several times in the past. A lovely run, but Black Shocked

There is so much rivalry between L2A and AdH. My girlfriend isn't local but has skied in AdH all her life, her parents have an apartment there. Until she met me she hadn't ventured over here Shocked She now concedes the snow is better here but still prefers AdH. We skied together 7 days here this winter and 4 there (as well as Verbier, Serre Chevalier, Sestriere and Montgenevre). She skied more in AdH with her son and friends. I really like them both. Roll on the link Very Happy
snow report
Do you not need a lift after Le Tunnel to get to La Fare?
snow conditions
@DidierCouch, I think one of the bottom branches of Le Tunnel takes you onto the bottom of Le Dome. Haven’t done it in ages though
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
@DidierCouch, I think one of the bottom branches of Le Tunnel takes you onto the bottom of Le Dome. Haven’t done it in ages though

right branch but as you say, you only get to the top of the DMC.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
davidof wrote:

To Vaujany not Oz. And yes it's a great ski. But yes Fare is closed a fair amount.

a cool, even better, next year maybe.
ski holidays
@davidof, then you take Rousses over to Alpette and carry on to the top of La Fare
latest report
Another great off piste route is from the top ending up in Clavans Le Haut where there is a cracking auberge (you have to leave a car there), and always good for when tackling the Col de Sarenne on a bike especially if you've done ADH first
snow report
@davidof,

You used to be able to get a little certificate from SATA if you did this in a day :-

Le Pic Blanc 3330m to La Villette 1295m
Le Pic Blanc 3330m to L’Enversin d’Oz 1125m
Le Pic Blanc 3330m to Oz en Oisans 1350m
Le Pic Blanc 3330m to Gorges de Sarenne 1510m

They charged you a euro and donated it to a Nepalese (I think) charity because at 8000m you had near enough skied down the height of Everest. My kids have, or probably by now have not, got the cards somewhere. The skiing is no problem on a good day, the issue is the queue for the cable car.....

The little chairlift back up from the end of the Tunnel run is ignored (ie you can use it under the french rule bending principle) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
You keep right on the tunnel after the steep bit and you miss the little chair lift by the lake. Unfortunately it is a bit flat and stops me from doing the whole thing in a oner on my snowboard.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
It’s really useful to see these images and time sequences. I did not think that I would see in my lifetime the massive reduction of the Alpine ice and snowfields. Yes, we’ve had some great years skiing - 2010-11, 2017-18, this season...but the long term changes are easy to see and easy to trace. The global stats show 90pc of glaciers shrinking and a handful accumulating (Greenland data is particularly controversial). But my ‘micro experience’ is that there has been rapid and massive change in dozens of places where we climbed in the 1990’s (Flaine, Chamonix valley) and which had snowfields all over the place in the Summer (vast majority gone), had small icefields (vanished), and North face bound by ice (regrettably now rock chutes everywhere). What were quick neve sections - eg up to the Bertol Hut at 3111m - are now acres of balanced, shattered moraine - slow and dangerous. I don’t know the answer to the question ‘how quickly and is it possible for these glaciers to re-accumulate?...’ but I suspect it needs constant air temp below freezing, plus higher snowfall. Which we are not getting anymore, that’s for sure....

Seen millions of glacier-shrinkage photos, but they are always shocking to see.

The world has been warming and melting for the past ~15k years.

NY and London were once buried under a glacier.

Up until the 1900s, it was still possible for adults to skate (almost) every year on the iced-over London Thames.

Up until the 1960s, it was still possible for adults to skate (very) occasionally on the iced-over London Thames.

The first sniff of (massively) accelerated global warming came in the 1970s and 1980s, then really took off in the 1990s.

By the 2000s and 2010s, global boiling is taking off.

Everything is melting.

The South Pole and Everest peak will be the last to melt, around 2500.

To reglaciate properly takes decades or centuries.

The (small) ADH glacier, based on current snowfalls, would take 5-20 years (of yearround freezing) to rebuild a summer snowfield, and 50-100 years to rebulk summer ice to 1980s levels.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy