Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Belle Plagne - April 2020

Poster: A snowHead
With all of this years trips finished, it's time to start planning for the family trip for next year (4-11 Apr 2020). It'll be the kids third trip (after Avoriaz, and Val Thorens) so they are getting comfortable on standard blues, so am hoping that they become fully parallel on this trip and move to harder blues and easier reds.

They want to go somewhere different, so Belle Plagne is the current favourite, on the basis of:

- high resort at 2050m, central location, village feel.
- plenty of skiing above resort, without the need to go below 1900m if condtions aren't good below
- I've skiied La Plagne before - so easy to guide the kids on suitable slopes (and get them home safely in a whiteout!)
- nice cruisy blue runs and easy reds, with a fun slope nearby
- tree line skiing if needed

However, I've only skiied La Plagne in January before so wanted to check how well the conditions hold up in April? Is Belle Plagne still ski in/ski out? How low can you ski before conditions get too bad? What's Belle Plagne actually like (with the kids in mind)? Is there any thing else that I might not have thought about having only been to La Plagne in Jan before?

Also, considered Arc 1950 too but don't know the area as well.

I realise that no-one knows what the conditions will be like next year but just after a general feel.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied there in April before, no real slushyness issues for us, a couple of easier blues needed a run up later in the day to avoid using your poles but we never found it a consideration really.

Belle plagne is quite compact so not too much walking for kids, especially if blue run skiers probably ski in - ski out mostly. Can't think what specifically there is for kids there, sledging, zip wire course, bowling ? Bellecote is a gondola away with skating and outdoor pool.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done Easter in La Plagne before, in 1800, and it was fine! Definitely no issues skiing down to that level, so I imagine Belle Plagne would not have any issues at all.

Also done Les Arcs in Easter before (twice!) in 1950, and it was also fine! As always, there's the freeze/thaw conditions with the sweet spot just as you're eating lunch, but that's an issue everywhere. It only really started to get a bit crap in the trees above Arc 1600, and even then, it was still skiable and open. Just rather unpleasantly slushy after lunch with a few brown bits.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were in Belle Plagne roughly these dates this year (30th March - 6th April) and the conditions were fine on the pistes.

As noted above, there was a definite "sweet spot" for good snow around lunch time, with the usual "iciness" earlier in the morning and some of the slopes getting a bit cut up towards the end of the day.

It was definitely ski in / ski out all week (we stayed in the Nereides and had no issues skiing to / from the front door of the apartments).

In terms of how far down you can go - we didn't really venture too low most days. We spent the Sunday on a lesson with Lime and got as far as 1800 before turning back as the snow was starting to get on the softer side, but some of that was more relating to the level in our group and trying to stick to good snow as opposed to the snow being too soft / slushy to continue.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Handy Turnip, it's a good choice, you'll be fine.

We've stayed in Les Coches numerous times early April with no issues.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Handy Turnip, Wot Layne says.

Belle Plagne will have snow then, and it has good access to other areas that will have snow - Roche de Mio, Grande Rochette, the glacier. Pleanty of decent eating out spots as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, really useful feedback. Looks like it could be a goer! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best advice is not to forget to pack High Factor sun cream! Sitting outside Le Bonnet watching the antics on the waterslide can get a bit scorchio Cool
Also at that time of year there are some excellent picnic spots, we particularly like the area amongst the rocks near Pierre Blanche/Dos Rond.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boredsurfin, great advice! Loving the idea of using the picnic spots - the kids would love that!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
found les arcs much more interesting than la plagne. And pretty much everyone, who was in both, confirms my opinion.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kosmoz wrote:
found les arcs much more interesting than la plagne. And pretty much everyone, who was in both, confirms my opinion.

Yeah, everybody hates La Plagne. All the beds are empty and the pistes desserted.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I also find Les Arcs side ‘more interesting’.

However, for the OPs kids’ 3rd week skiing, they’re looking to progress onto harder blue pistes and easier reds.

La Plagne would suit very well and nothing to stop an excursion or two over to Les Arcs, if snow conditions and extra lift pass cost worth it.
snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Handy Turnip, before kids "flew the nest" we did Belle Plagne every Easter, 1998 to 2002.
Never had a bad time.
So, an excellent choice.
Now we stay in 1800, and this year, even with late Easter, it was OK down there. Belle Plagne was a bit better.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were there mid April 2013.

Loads of snow (but was also exception end of season in 2013). Suffered from bit hard / icy on mornings and slushy later on in afternoons but was mid April!

Was my youngest first time on skis at 3 and eldest son second week at 6. Some of the children were struggling with that hard (as in from overnight freezing) run down from the hotel first thing. We were staying at the Esprit place.

Photo taken at Plagne Bellecote (below Belle Plagne) on 17th April

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosmoz wrote:

Depends what type of skiing you're after. IMO there's plenty to occupy all levels in both resorts, and LP is much better if the weather closes in.
latest report
Thanks all - great pic! I've nothing against either area and may look to go to Arc 1950 for our Easter trip in future years, but feel Belle Plagne is a better fit at the moment (and i assume, a shorter transfer time from Geneva?)
latest report
Handy Turnip wrote:
I've nothing against either area and may look to go to Arc 1950 for our Easter trip in future years, but feel Belle Plagne is a better fit at the moment (and i assume, a shorter transfer time from Geneva?)

Makes no odds.
ski holidays
Cheers @Layne, good to know.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy