Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
Over the many seasons Avalanches have rolled over some Pistes but the lawine kommission are very well switched on to the temperature/snow conditions and close the pistes when needed.. Nearly all these slides happen when the sun goes down so more of a danger to the Grooming Machines Drivers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stanton, I have a rucksack whilst skiing these days, never causes any problems. I see folk with avi bags which are a little bit bulkier but really do not cause any issues.

I didnt think you ever used the lift system Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stanton, you don't half post some utter crap but that must be one of your "best" rubbish posts this year rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steilhang wrote:
@munich_irish,
Quote:
not sure it is ever "safe" off piste.

It isn't actually guaranteed to be safe on piste either. I just barely missed getting taken out by a huge slide on the trail that leads from Schindler back to the Schindler chair (ski route), and also just missed on the valley run in Kleinwalsertal / Kanzelwand... also several slides on piste so far this season

Thanks, I initially reacted to Steilhang's post.
I always ski with a transceiver on me, just in case.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, You can carry on wearing your handbag on your back but make sure you take it off on the lift Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We should get some Dust this weekend maybe 20-25cms...its still very unclear according to the Cows...but it will be colder and followed by High Pressure again next week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
Even guides can get caught by the unexpected.

I knew two (there has been more) local Ski Techers/Guides over the last 30yrs who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Sacrifice? Sacrifice is Policemen dying defending the public. Somebody dying playing games whilst sad is not a sacrifice!

stanton wrote:
@drporat, You do not need Avi Equipment in the Arlberg Controlled ski area (inc the marked itinery routes) all you need is common sense.

I had an on-piste lesson in St Anton once from an instructor who insisted on wearing his airbag - there had been a lot of snow... These days I think I might refuse to have a lesson under such circumstances.

There seems to be some inconsistency in Austria as to the avi-controlling of 'routes'. I was surprised somewhere in Alpbachtal to be told at the start of a ski route that avi controlling would end there. Made me wonder what the point in the ski route was, given it was pure off piste.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
drporat wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
@munich_irish,
Quote:
not sure it is ever "safe" off piste.

It isn't actually guaranteed to be safe on piste either. I just barely missed getting taken out by a huge slide on the trail that leads from Schindler back to the Schindler chair (ski route), and also just missed on the valley run in Kleinwalsertal / Kanzelwand... also several slides on piste so far this season

Thanks, I initially reacted to Steilhang's post.
I always ski with a transceiver on me, just in case.
me too. I really don't care whether it's supposed to be safe or not. Personal experience tells me it isn't.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@James the Last, the definition of a "ski route" varies from area to area. In the Arlberg they are secured as noted above, in other places they might be off piste routes or simply tracks that are not pisted you need to make sure for each place you ski if you want to use them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, thanks. How does one find out? It's certainly not widely advertised (or at least that I've ever found).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
James the Last wrote:
@munich_irish, thanks. How does one find out? It's certainly not widely advertised (or at least that I've ever found).

The Arlberg print info on ski routes on the lift map.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@munich_irish, no, that is not right. Like ‘skipiste’, and ‘freies gelände’; skiroute is a formal-legal description, controlled by the Austrian state.
A skiroute has limited signage, is always checked for avalanches, but does not have to be groomed, nor controlled (after liftclosure)
The only difference is that in Arlberg, there are much more skiroutes than in any other Austrian skiresort. And this is due to the rugged geology of the region...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug, sums it up there..

Just to add the ski itenary routes are marked on the official ski piste map
Dotted Red and Dotted Black lines..

You hear folks here talking about

Langen,Maroi,Roßfal,Malfontal etc etc these are all Back Country hike to (from certain lifts) areas ...and are 100% NOT CONTROLLED . Avi equipment is Recommended cerainly the basics ....... its your choice...
This is true Free Ride Terrain ..Check your insurance as well because most will NOT cover this.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And apart all disscussion about ski routes, is somebody skiing right now the Arlberg?

Look at that video:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157257807730958&id=118625865957

These guys are flying into Schindler, they make it look easy to do that Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ Sweet lines.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/_pNlrb5Eo3A
snow report
@Langerzug, if only it were that simple. The Arlberg (& Ischgl) seem to keep to the rules other places not so much. For example in SkiWelt a ski route could mean a very simple track anyone could ski or it could mean a vaguely marked route across various alpine meadows complete with stream beds, half buried fences and various other hazards really for those with local knowledge only. There is a brit who has been writing reviews of ski resorts for the best part of 40 years, Chris Gill (his latest project is here http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/ ) who has rightly been complaining about this for a long time. There is too wide an interpretation of what a "ski route" is between resorts and that is not a good thing.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, well, there always are those who do not keep the rules.
And it must be said of course, the 'invention' of the ski route will probably have been inspired by problems in keeping up with the higher demands of the skipiste, for different reasons....And Austrians are known to be flexible with rules....(like us Dutch wink )
Regarding Arlberg, or more specific, Madloch, the complaint of course is the other way around: why isn't Madloch officially a piste, since it is groomed 99% of the time....
Maybe such a vague category like a 'ski route' is simply needed after all.....it still is Mother Nature's grounds we're on....
snow conditions
@AlTom, yep

Everyday more or less
latest report
Clouded over ..

Tomorrow we shall get a layer of dandruff…

Behind this front another warm week or two …. Confused

We are doing OK considering...

Yesterday it was 25 degrees above normal in Norway at 19C Shocked
ski holidays
Yup, still too warm to have the snow cannons on during the day. Steissbachtal still closed, and the cracks on the side have looked to have opened up over the course of this week, and there has been a slide down, stopping just before the piste. Still people skiing down it tho, I spotted about a dozen or so heading down it yesterday as I was going up Tanzboeden, including what looked like children.
ski holidays
I wish they switch of those snow cannons for ever Twisted Evil
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
@munich_irish, no, that is not right. Like ‘skipiste’, and ‘freies gelände’; skiroute is a formal-legal description, controlled by the Austrian state.
A skiroute has limited signage, is always checked for avalanches, but does not have to be groomed, nor controlled (after liftclosure)
The only difference is that in Arlberg, there are much more skiroutes than in any other Austrian skiresort. And this is due to the rugged geology of the region...

@Langerzug, I assure you that at the start of Route 66 that runs into Inneralpbach https://www.alpbachtal.at/skijuwel/skipanorama/skipanorama-ski-juwel-alpbachtal-wildschoenau.jpg there is a large sign that says something along the lines of 'you are leaving the controlled area, skiing is at your own risk'. I really couldn't see the point in having a 'route' at all.
snow conditions
How long does it look like the high pressure is in for? Looks a bit of snow today then warm all next week
ski holidays
What’s the detail of how the snow conditions are across the St Anton , Lech, Zurs area this weekend?

Any eye / feet witness reports please?
snowHead
snow report
Hardly any snow has falllem..sun breaking through..

Its Saturday everyone clearing out of town...

Allways the best day of the week to be up the hill...

Way above seasonal average temperature but we have good summit to valley conditions.
ski holidays
@stanton, why would you care, since you don’t use lifts or ski groomed runs?
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
@stanton, why would you care, since you don’t use lifts or ski groomed runs?

I dont pay for lifts , carpet is unavoidable..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Currently raining downtown …

Next Full Moon (Wolf Moon) January 10th

Snow should follow..
latest report
Rain has started to turn to snow in Pettneu, so should be better higher up.
snow report
currently looks like another dusting (if anything) Jan 10/11th..
latest report
stanton wrote:

Next Full Moon (Wolf Moon) January 10th

Howling at the moon?
ski holidays
Blue Sky Sunday ....
snow report
Quick question based on local wisdom:
We will arrive this friday for a week.
Based on local existing conditions, does it make sense to book an off piste day with a guide, for next week?
I know some snow might fall on January 10 but it won't be a game changer.
How hard is the existing off piste snow?
snow report
@drporat, No .

You need to be a very strong skier all types ... Crud,Breakable,Ice ....

Its not for leisure/recreational holiday folks
snow conditions
Arriving January 18th and the watch has begun ...

And with that goes big dilemma - 104mm or 76mm !?
snow conditions
Thanks for answering, let's hope smth will change next week.
@Cheapski, be optimistic. Bring both.
I'm arriving a week earlier than you and I'll bring both skis
snow conditions
@drporat, if you feel comfortable in all conditions, why not? I once did an off piste course (in 1987) in St. Anton, when there was only 50cm at the Valluga. Was brilliant!
latest report
@Cheapski, 76mm unless the forecast changes considerably.
ski holidays
@Cheapski, notwithstanding stanton's howling at the moon, the more reliable weather forecasts are not optimistic at all for any substantial falls of snow in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully things will change but at the moment most likely to be piste and mogul skiing.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy