Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
Looks stunning out there, cold, fresh snow and blue skies!! Enjoy whoever is out!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.tt.com/panorama/gesellschaft/16480797/st-anton-verneigt-sich-vor-einer-grossen-sportlerin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How's the new Schindlergratbahn running?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow forecast saying warner with no snow over next 9 days? Can anyone see anything with a better outlook?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mk28 wrote:
Snow forecast saying warner with no snow over next 9 days? Can anyone see anything with a better outlook?

Nope looks warm until 5th jan, freezing level over 2200m
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Come 4th for 2 weeks on a off piste course so hoping it changes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mk28, there is plenty of snow here to last the entire season....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mk28, there is a suggestion of some snow around the 8th of Jan but it is so far away it might just disappear like morning mist.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mk28, bring your skins

Problem with St Anton is if there hasn't been fresh snow for a week or 2 every conceivable track within a 40 minute hike of anywhere is tracked out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suppose that actually skiing conditions upper there are good, I mean, schindler mountain, mattun bowl, albona, zurs..etc etc. But down to the valley it isn't a lot of snow (40cm in st anton), so, how are the conditions of the routes going more down to the valley: Hinderer Rendl, vordere rendlspitze, malfontal, Mariokopf down to langen, schongraben, stierfall, etc.??
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AlTom, They are all skiable and pople are ..... but we are only 4 weeks into the season the rain has affected the south facing lower egress variants i.e Ice,Crud,Rocks ---- you take your chances….. the Helicopters have been in non stop use abseits der Piste this last week and I expect them to be cranking up airlifts this week ..

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 29-12-19 11:07; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AlTom, remember it’s still very early season
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
follow on from above …. Piste Rescues

Pistenhilfe have reverted back to the traditional Rettungsbahren (Piste Rescue Stretchers). They have invested in a new fleet..

Helicopters for environmental reasons are only being used for most serious or by request...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sure it's still early season, and that's why I'm asking. I could have the first half of january off and still not decided where to go and it seems there is more snow in central/western alps.

However forecast are really bad for coming weeks....not significant new snow for next 10 days...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steissbachtal closed again around mid morning, the usual Kandahar carnage ensued...

Regarding heli rescues and the blood wagons, somebody I know who used to be a Pistenretter said that they used the heicopters a lot as to have one stationed in St Anton, it has to be used a certain number of times, that may well have changed as I have seen the blood wagons out a bit more so far this season.
latest report
I assume there are glide cracks opening up on the south facing slopes above the Steissbachtal?
latest report
You can see a bunch of Fischmäuler on the right in this webcam shot.

ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, that's what I thought too but not really easy to confirm looking at a webcam image. Assuming it is cracks it seems very early in the season, maybe its down to the mild weather.
latest report
@munich_irish, it’s heavy snow on the grassy slope. It’s been very cold for the preceding few days. They are just beyond the thin line of trees. Given what happened in Andermatt they will need to be doubly careful.
snow report
The Andermatt thing was not good though very lucky no serious injuries or worse. I can understand being cautious especially with the forecast for mild sunny weather. Last year there was a snow wall built along side the piste, I guess that must be on the cards again though too late for the busiest few days of the season.
ski holidays
When I was out before Xmas in the warm spell there were slides down to bare grass
ski holidays
http://mountainacademy.salomon.com/en/demo/47/glide-snow-avalanche
latest report
Will be Blue Sky clear weather until at least the weekend...
ski holidays
https://www.sn.at/panorama/oesterreich/58-jaehriger-in-st-anton-bei-lawinenunglueck-verstorben-81362794
snow conditions
That happened around lunchtime...

For anyone whp thinks its safe off piste right now...

Take this as a wakeup call
snow report
Very sad news
ski holidays
This was on the local news here. He was skiing with his wife and two sons when he was swept away. Very sad indeed.
snow report
News report locally, so sad...

Avalanche departure with death in verwall group

After a ski touring climb to the gamskarspitze (2621 M) in the malfontal in the verwall group in the municipality of st. Anton a. A intended a family of four from Germany (58 m, 58 w, 25 m, 23 m, 23 m) from there towards st. Jakob A.A. leaving. Just below the gip rock they entered the steep northern slope and crossed it individually. When the 58-Year-old entered the slope as third, approx. 100 m above him a snowboard avalanche. The man was captured and carried away by the avalanche. The victim was no longer able to trigger his avalanche backpack. After an avalanche length of approx. 750 m, it was completely spilled. The family members tried to locate the victim using lvs device, but they did not succeed. The close gallus3 flew a first responder to the scene of accident, which was able to locate the very spilled in difficult, rough terrain using lvs device and probe. The buried was dug up and reanimated. This was last-finally in vain. He died at the accident site. The Tourers were experienced equivalent partners, equipped with an appropriate emergency equipment.
Machining Department: Pi st. Anton A.A.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weather

Perfect New Years Day !!
snow conditions
@stanton, not sure it is ever "safe" off piste. In the high mountains there are always risks of one sort or another. We can try to minimise those risks and take precautions with equipment and knowledge. In the end it is a personal decision to balance the enjoyment of being in the mountains against the risks, some are happy with a higher level of risk and others not. I agree far too many people go off piste without taking into account the risks but not all people are in this category. From what little we know these people seemed to have been well equipped and experienced. Even guides can get caught by the unexpected.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
Even guides can get caught by the unexpected.

I knew two (there has been more) local Ski Techers/Guides over the last 30yrs who paid the ultimate sacrifice.
latest report
@munich_irish,
Quote:
not sure it is ever "safe" off piste.

It isn't actually guaranteed to be safe on piste either. I just barely missed getting taken out by a huge slide on the trail that leads from Schindler back to the Schindler chair (ski route), and also just missed on the valley run in Kleinwalsertal / Kanzelwand... also several slides on piste so far this season
snow conditions
I thought the ski routes are avalanche safe. I mean, anything can happen anywhere, a pisteur was killed last season in Crans Montana on piste due to an avalanche who started above, but aren't Arlberg ski routes supposed to be safe and not requiring avalanche equipment?
snow conditions
@drporat, they do some avi control of ski routes, but the routes are not checked at the end of the day, nor are hazards marked etc.
latest report
@kitenski, thanks. I don't care for marked obstacles on the red ski routes* and it's Arlberg so there are always people there. I am just worried re: enhanced avi risk. Gonna be there again in a week with a friend who has no avi kit, planned to do the ski routes together
*Edited: don't care since I'm not rushing there.
snow report
@drporat, just keep an eye if they are open or not! Saw plenty of people skiing closed routes when I was there. They could have loads of snow but be shut due to avi risk. Sometimes they have a lone shut sign and not roped/fences off like French resorts do.
snow report
@drporat, there is a lot of confusion around "ski routes" and it varies from resort to resort. My understanding in the Arlberg is that a ski route is indicated by a single line of markers (as opposed to pistes where there are markers to either side). The route is secured from avalanche and other hazards only along the line of the markers, it is not however patrolled.

Quite how this works in practice is rather hazy. Schindlerkar referred to above has a line of poles in the middle of a wide piste bashed run which then narrows down to a path around a cliff with fencing to protect against the drop off the side but the path is subject to stonefall (generally light but even so it could cause injury) especially on warm afternoons. Mattun has a line of poles and no piste bashing but the area is very wide and the line of poles is not necessarily the most sensible route or easy to follow even in bright conditions. Osthang is a lot of big fairly steep moguls under the main lift. Even more confusing is Madloch which is pretty much treated as a piste and is a key part of the White Ring / Run of Fame circuits but has a number of more difficult variants alongside. I cant even remember if there are poles (there must be) as you simply follow the bashed runs and signs. Lots more too including some pretty difficult stuff like Schindler Steilhang, the route from Kappal through the cliffs to the bottom of Mattun and some of the Lech routes.

Assuming you keep to the "ski route" itself there should be no need for avi bags but you do need to be confident in your skiing ability and be able to navigate your way around if you loose sight of the poles. I do think keeping Madloch as a ski route is asking for trouble, so many ski down it and not all would really have the necessary skills if they got lost or conditions are not good.

There is always a small risk of avalanche even on piste as was shown in Andermatt the other day.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, thanks. I remember Madloch has red diamond signs and poles
snow report
The itineraries are supposed to be avi controlled within, IIRC 3m, each side of the marker pole. Is/was on the paper piste maps, but don't have one to hand to check. In terms of instructor level, you have to be a Landeslehrer (level 3) to be able to take clients on a ski route (the Madloch run to Zug is an exception), which is the level required to be able to teach outside the marked pistes.
snow report
@drporat, You do not need Avi Equipment in the Arlberg Controlled ski area (inc the marked itinery routes) all you need is common sense.

Avi Bags/Ruksaks take up to much space in Gondolas, Cable cars..

Anyone wearing them should take them off and be obliged to hold them above their heads Shocked

The avalanche mentioned above was well out of the controlled area & no amount of Avi Kit would of helped in this incident

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 1-01-20 16:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy