Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@Phuzzy, Get out of your City Office and spend some more time (Years) in the Alpine regions. .Look at the sky, smell the air and your smell snow or not....

Pleaae dont advise folks that Off Piste is fine/ok early in the season ...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The new Schindlergratbahn opened this morning. I had been told by various folk that it was due to open yesterday but it didnt. It was still shown as closed at 08:30 this morning but opened just after 09:30. Inevitably there was a queue by 09:45! Really cant see what the point of the new top station is, most folk got out at the old place. They were only loading every other cabin so possibly the plan is for half the cabins to not stop at the old place to spread out the skiers but it will make hardly any difference. The new top station is marginally easier for nervous skiers but it still ends up at the steepest spot at the top of Valgefahr.

The snow is OK but on the thin side. Saturday was restricted to St Anton with no linking lifts and I couldnt be bothered with buses. Snow on Galzig and Kandahar was good, even the run past the apres spots was OK, better than it is sometimes in peak season, though the section past and below the Moose / Griabli is sketchy and officially closed best stick to the KK side. Went over to Zürs today. The lower section of the Valgefahr piste is less than half its normal width which was causing problems for those expecting a straightforward blue piste. Conditions in Zürs were OK best around Hexenboden where the snow was more powdery less hard. Täli was open but by the time I realised it was it was too late to give it a try. Return to St Anton was via the Tanzboden skiweg / lift. Happy Valley was officially closed though lots of folk skiing it, it appeared to have been pisted, someone was choppered out from the bottom of Happy Valley around 14:15 no idea whether this was related to the closure or just a "normal" accident. Schindlerkar had had a fair number of visits, the top part had been pisted as usual though the part below the cliff path is very sketchy, lots of rocks and stream beds, really needs more snow.

All in all OK but the area really does need the forecast snow, Arlenmähder is still closed and you can see from the St Christoph chair that there are bare patches on the pistes. Not often I agree with Stanton but anything off piste (including the skiroutes) looks thin lots of places which have been wind scoured, from a distance it looks OK but closer views reveal lots of rocks, trees etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, Thanks for the update, should be good in a couple of weeks with the snow as forecast.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish,
A bit early for conclusions on Schindlergratbahn is’nt? Very Happy
Pics in Alpinforum are indeed clearly showing the two separate entrances at the base station (“experts” and “families” Very Happy ) and the pleasant spacious exit piste at the new endstation.
In the old situation it was the narrowness, not the steepness, of Schindlergrat which was the issue.
For sure, when the real crowds come, the queues will spread over the two entrances....it was already mentioned here that the new lift would have this kind of controlled entrance system, similar to Trittkopfbahn.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, thanks for the first real on snow report Smile you skied anywhere else locally to compare against?? I've still got a potential trip to Arlberg, Soelden, Isghl for 18th Dec to finalise.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Langerzug, I understood that to be the case too but no sign of that yesterday just a single entrance and a plod round to actually get in a gondola. Maybe they will change things when it gets busier. The old "Nur für Geübte" sign seems to have disappeared. Certainly the new end station has more space around it, the existing one does get crowded. However I really dont see it makes very much difference at all. There was lots of confusion at the old top station as people had no idea whether to get out or stay in. I did stay in simply as I wanted to see the new set up but wont bother in future.

Also notice that the Trittkopfbahn now has moving LED signs above the gondolas indicating "Zürs" or "Trittkopf" which is a good idea (perhaps I missed this before but think this is new).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski, No it was my first skiing of the season. I would say there is a very good base (though the home runs in St Anton need a good deal more snow) but it really needs more snow which might come this week. I get the impression that the Arlberg has not invested so much in snow making as some other places (presumably as they get so much natural snow). If the snow does come this week then next weekend could be good as it seems likely to come from the north / north west which brings most snow to the Arlberg.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, thanks for the update. Still undecided to book Lech or Ischgl for this coming weekend. Fingers crossed the snow predicted this week will arrive!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:

Also notice that the Trittkopfbahn now has moving LED signs above the gondolas indicating "Zürs" or "Trittkopf" which is a good idea (perhaps I missed this before but think this is new).

Hmmm, you have me thinking. If you are talking about Mittelstation, then I am 98% certain that Reuters-like, moving LED display was always there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ulmerhutte, yep in the middle station, it could well be I simply didnt notice them before.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@munich_irish, yep, the led lights were there from the start.

For yesterday pics of the Schindlergratbahn, scroll a fair bit down to the last set of pictures on this site: https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=62399&start=25

The signs “expert” and “families” are not very well placed indeed so it appears, in the shade.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Langerzug, I did not notice the signs but am sure the only one that was open was the "experts" when I went through before 10:00 they must have opened the other side later (maybe we were all being sheep like and just followed the person in front to join the queue). It makes sense as only every other gondola was accessible. The "expert / family" designation is misleading, the run down from the old place is hardly expert only territory though can see some will find it too hard but if so they will find the rest of the run a big challenge. As far as I can see the "expert" territory accessible only from the old top station are the couloirs and that part of Schindlerkar directly below the lift station (both of which are only for a minority, most ski straight down the piste) the rest is equally accessible from the new place along with Mattunjoch. It will probably help spread out the crowds a little but the pistes all end up in the same spot. I still prefer the old chair lift but can see that it needed to be replaced, "progress" equates to an enclosed bubble with heated seats!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, if you look at the pictures in the link @Langerzug posted you can get a good idea of conditions. The first one looking down the lower part of Valgefahr is probably the most useful, you can see the narrow piste and the lack of snow on the south facing slopes above Stuben. There are also some good shots higher up later in the day with tracks below Schindlergrat.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thursday around 06:00 Full moon … Snow will fall after Thurs and Friday

Week 51 leading up to Weihnachten will be significantly warmer above freezing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, yes thanks taken a look at them...snowing now it appears and more to come.
ski holidays
Austrian national weatherservice is saying 25 cm coming night for Bregenzerwald and Arlberg.
And more to come throughout the week.
Looks to become quite nice cumulative
Very Happy
ski holidays
@Langerzug, It will be Wet Snow which is great for compacting the carpet pistes...especially with the warm weather coming next week..

We could have a situation where Xmas in the Austrian Alps will be warmer than North Western Europe...
ski holidays
the warm weather is too far away to be certain,it may or may not happen.
snow conditions
@stanton, these comments are not very useful... Xmas is more than 2 weeks away. And neither are temperatures this week particularly high, and snow falling mostly at night. Conclusion: normal snow, not wet.
And since this afternoon ZAMG is saying 30 cm tonight and tomorrow, another 10 cm wednesday night and a stunning 80 cm friday-saturday

Niet zeuren!
ski holidays
Folks, any recommendations for good evening restaurants in St. Anton at a reasonable price?
Staying for a week in January, bed and breakfast.
Last year we've liked San Antonio, above the Reselehof.
Dorfstube was good but expensive.
ski holidays
@drporat, Gand might be too far out for you but if not try the Ganderwirt, traditional Austrian. As you say the San Antonio is good. I watched the football last Saturday evening in Theo's opposite San Antonio, seems nice though not particularly cheap. Again not cheap but food is good, Skiing Buddha (Thai) in the sports centre next to the station.
latest report
drporat wrote:
Folks, any recommendations for good evening restaurants in St. Anton at a reasonable price?

What a is reasonable price to you?

A main dish will be minimum €15-20 in the cheapest of places.
snow conditions
We have always enjoyed Robi’s Rodelstall, which is at the bottom of the toboggan track in Nasserein. Lovely food, with generous servings, in a very atmospheric setting.

I would rate it as medium-priced in the context of St Anton.
ski holidays
looks like some decent snowfall this evening

snow report
stanton wrote:
@Langerzug, It will be Wet Snow which is great for compacting the carpet pistes...especially with the warm weather coming next week..

We could have a situation where Xmas in the Austrian Alps will be warmer than North Western Europe...

Certainly not wet snow falling at the moment. Been a good 10cm in town already and still going...
snow report
@Sitter,

Read what i said....

This time of early season is always temperature inversion...

Wet snow is coming ...but its a good thing...not bad!!
snow report
40cm fresh snow in St Anton snowHead

https://www.bergfex.at/stanton-stchristoph/webcams/c801/
ski holidays
Strange sort of temperature inversion when it is -2.5 in the village and -7 at Gampen......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, snow and inversion can’t occur at same time. Inversion=high pressure, snow=low pressure
“Inversion ist eine typische Erscheinung von herbstlichen oder winterlichen Hochdrucklagen” http://www.alpenverein.at/vorarlberg-bezirk-hohenems/archiv/2006_07_19_32952179_wettererscheinungen.php
latest report
For clarity: next week after the snow we get the Temp Inversion .
latest report
@stanton, whatever - it’s snowing and that’s to be welcomed!
snow conditions
@stanton, is the strength of the föhn connected to phases of the moon Very Happy
ski holidays
Doesn't Warth normally get the lions share? Looks to have got much much less every snow fall this year? Guess who booked Warth this year Laughing
snow report
Inverted föhn maybe?
snow conditions
@Alex A, Warth got 40 cm last night, village and mountain. Very Happy
St.Anton only 10cm in the village, 40 on top.
ski holidays
@Alex A, so far this season most weather systems have come from the south, which is not "normal". This has meant that most snow has been south of the main alpine ridge, the further north from the ridge the less snow. Hence St Anton has had more snow than Warth. The weather has changed in the past few days and is back to a more typical setup coming from north west / north, which should mean more in Warth & Lech.
snow report
@munich_irish, Yep, Lech doesnt look too shabby either based on the FB stuff i've been seeing.

@Alex A, Warth is just fine, best snow record in the Alps, friends of ours who live and work there have no complaints already, and it will only get deeper. If you are staying in Warth and can get in, its the getting out that is the challenge, its an amazing place and no better when you're locked in and nobody else can get there!
latest report
drporat wrote:
Maximillians, Bobo's Mexican, Pomodoro Pizza, Anthony's Italian. All on main street, and all good value for money.
ski holidays
drporat wrote:
Maximillians, Bobo's Mexican, Pomodoro Pizza, Anthony's Italian. All on main street, and all good value for money.
latest report
drporat wrote:

I can recommend:
Pete's, pasta and Austrian dishes. On the left going down the main street just past Alber Sport. a bit cheaper than Dorfstubn.
Aqua, no discernible cuisine but eclectic menu. probably same price as Dorfstubn. On the corner opposite Spar.
Grieswirt, good value Austrian fare. Close to Aqua down the side of the Spar, next to Pub 37.
Cafe Sailer, basic Austrian fare, good value. By the roundabout.
Antony's Italian, pizza and pasta. Try the pasta Puttanesca. Cheaper than Dorfstubn. Better than Pomodoro. On main street opposite bank near the Intersport.
Also at Antony's the steakhouse lower floor. Good on steaks, pricey if you go for the big steaks, but the "lady" steak is adequate and good value price.
Apart from Cafe Sailer, all get busy and you might need to book ahead, even in January. But if a singleton then on spec is pos.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy