Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@kitenski, the roads to and from Warth (Bregenz-Warth, and Warth-Reutte) are both very slow and as such quite unpleasant. (very pretty though, in daylight...) Very curvy, and through all villages. And the Hochtannbergpass (Warth-Schröcken) is even snowier than the Arlbergpass.
And of course the risk of winterclosure Lech-Warth is very likely somewhere between now and 21 december.
Did you already buy tickets? Zürich is better than Munich!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, best source of up to date road info is https://www.oeamtc.at/verkehrsservice/# (click on the Vorarlberg or Tirol sections of the map). The Hochtannbergpass is often 4x4 or snow chains only. Currently snow is better around St Anton than Warth but that could change over the next couple of weeks. Even if the roads are clear it is a fairly slow drive down the Lechtal and then cross country to the Autobahn at Landsberg. The route to and from Stuben might be longer but the roads are much better (its motorway / main road all the way) thus likely to be quicker. Do note the speed limits in Austria, they have got very keen with cameras. Even allowing for delays 4 hours from the Arlberg should easily see you to Munich airport, biggest traffic jam risk (assuming reasonable weather) is likely to be on the A99 Munich ring road which has various road works.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Langerzug, flights already booked, Zurich timings didn't work.

@munich_irish, given it'll be dark and potentially bad weather perhaps Stuben is the better idea then. Do you think they'll have more open (subject to cold/snow) by then?

Other options are Soelden/Obergurgl but significantly longer drive to get there on the Wed morning.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, I hope there will be more open, I am planning a trip next weekend so I will let you know. There seems to be a chance of more snow from around the 9th onwards but as ever we shall see.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the more southern resorts have received more snow than the Arlberg right? Soelden and Obergurgl reporting 90+cm at 2000m...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes seems to be anything close to italian border got a lot. Hintertux also skiing to the valley I read somewhere.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/7lPGbVno9DI
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thursday Happy Hour All day at Taps !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is going to be warmer the rest of this week....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Next Full Moon December 12th

Snow or Rain whatever time of year after....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
Next Full Moon December 12th

Snow or Rain whatever time of year after....

This pearl of wisdom is based on what precisely? I guess you can come up with a graph to provide evidence for this? The actual weather forecast is pointing towards more snow from the 9th onwards.

Perhaps more useful would be an update on expected lift openings.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, ………… understand that this method of precise forecasting is based on the "Alpine-Cows" principle, especially around year-end full moons. Can't say if it really is a "Snow Full Moon", cos these usually are in February. I can only conclude that this is in fact the quite rare "Christmas Snow Cow Full Moon". Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s called throlling based on zero facts mixed with random freely available screen shots
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish,

Lift openings are following the normal pattern..in St Anton

First rwo weeks it

Access to Galzig
Access to Gampen

Stuben

Albona 1 for access to ..
Valfagehrbahn

High Alpine lifts are closed.

Rendl will probably crank up around 18-20 Dec...

Laat seasin Schindler was closed for weeks
ski holidays
@stanton, when did they open the high alpine lifts last season?
ski holidays
@kitenski, Kapall will open soon..

Last season.. Valuga & Schindler were on and off over Xmas/New Year but then closed (90% of lifts) for some days (over a week higher up) during the massive January storm and after. We were in lock down no one in and no one out !! Hike for POW !
ski holidays
@kitenski, Given the forecast next week is snow and plenty of it hopefully i'd think that all but Rendl, and potentially Albona 2 will be opening weekend 13/ 14th, prior to that i'd think it'll be Gampen/ Galzig and St C. Kapall will open too as above, Gampen area....

Keep an eye on this, hopefully they hold it back a bit yet and let that pow build up...... wink

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/service/lifts-and-pistes
latest report
yes hopefully they open more!!

I'm watching this link as easier to see, and too much red on there at the moment!

https://skiarlberg.intermaps.com/?lang=en
snow conditions
Open lifts from coming saturday:

Lech/Oberlech/Zürs
Schlegelkopfbahn, Petersbodenbahn, Übungslift Oberlech, Bergbahn Oberlech, Kriegerhornbahn, Weibermahdbahn, Hasensprungbahn, Rotschrofenbahn und als Zubringer Zugerbergbahn und Schlosskopfbahn sowie Rüfikopfbahn, Trittalpbahn, Hexenbodenbahn, Übungshangbahn, Trittkopfbahn I und II, Flexenbahn, Seekopfbahn und Zürserseebahn

Auenfeldjet stays closed (lifts Warth opening this weekend...)

St. Anton/St. Christoph/Stuben
Galzigbahn, Gampenbahn, Nassereinbahn, St. Christophbahn, Osthangbahn, Zammermoosbahn, Tanzbödenbahn, Mattunbahn, Übungslift Gampen, Übungslift St. Christoph, Valfagehrbahn, Rauzlift und Albonabahn I;

Warth/Schröcken
Steffisalp-Express, Wannenkopflift, Dorfbahn, Jägeralp-Express, Wartherhorn-Express, Hochalplift, Karhornbahn;
snow report
@Langerzug, thanks for that!! Any idea when Auenfeldjet will open? That kind of steers me back towards Stuben!!
latest report
Will blue piste no 55 (the one through happy valley..?) be open this season. Last time in St Anton back in 2018 it was closed for the week I was there and for most of season I believe
snow conditions
@kitenski, don’t know about Auenfeldjet. But looking at the lifts to open in Warth, it’s clear that the complete Salober-Auenfeld side stays closed for now. It is just the lifts closer to the village of Warth that are opening this weekend, not the Schröcken side
snow report
Does anyone know which (if any) of the bars in St Anton show premier league games? I have watched games in Bar Cuba before but it is a pretty dingy dive and no idea if it is open at the moment. I seem to remember watching rugby in Jules but might be wrong, be good if it does show sport as it sells decent beer. There is a game on Saturday evening I need to watch, I can watch it on my phone but much better on a bigger screen.

@Sneachta2013, this has been the subject of much discussion (and stupidity) in previous years. It comes down to what happens with the snow. The slopes above the run are steep and grass covered, in some years dangerous amounts of snow build up on these slopes and it is not possible to trigger avalanches manually. Whether this will happen this season is unknown though it is likely it will be closed after heavy snowfall. There are long term plans to put in avalanche fences but the whole issue is subject to various local disputes with the land owners. Last season the lift company built some big walls of snow along the side of the piste which allowed the run to open most of the time I guess this will happen again this year.
latest report
@munich_irish, Theos may haave football https://www.facebook.com/theostavernestanton/
latest report
@munich_irish, in season Bar Cuba, Scotty's and the one next to the Sport Hotel. None are satisfactory I've found, too much background noise, and some play music simultaneously so that the commentary is inaudible. When I complained one bar said that some customers were not interested in the game. Anyway, this time of year may not present issues.
snow report
@stanton, I didnt realise there was a bar there, the pizzeria opposite is always good but had assumed the Arlenburg was simply a hotel. @davidthornton, Bar Cuba is OK for football it is just a bit dingy and too Brit orientated however assuming it is open at the moment then probably OK this weekend as unlikely to be many folk around.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, Arlenburg was taken over a couple of seasons ago now and is your only real bet for the football at Nasserein end of town now that Dooley's has shut. Murrmel sometimes show games, although might clash with their live music. Otherwise try the sports bar downstairs at Skiing Buddha.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sitter, football and massaman curry Very Happy
latest report
do folk think they will continue to open more slopes/lifts especially with new snow forecast, or will they hold everything else back now for Xmas week? Still considering my options for 3 days starting Dec 18th. I'll be on my own, so no serious off piste. Looks like the Arlberg has 78km of slopes open, vs 127km @ Soelden, and 185km Ishgl.
snow report
@kitenski, I would wait to see, clearly more of the lifts and pistes in the Arlberg will open (if the online map is to be believed Langerzug is opening shortly). If Morris' algorithm is correct the Arlberg is due around a metre of fresh snow in the next 6 days.
snow conditions
@kitenski, Off Piste is not advised (anywhere) this early in the season.
latest report
@kitenski, there is no tradition of holding back for Xmas. Currently the limited offer is just because of thin snow around Arlberg I think.
Ischgl has more artificial, and Sölden got more snow this year.
If the promised snow comes, all should be open around 18 dec, except for Rendl, and often, Madloch.
ski holidays
@Langerzug, thank you for the clarification. Fingers crossed for some decent snow next week! Eyewatering quote of 155 Euros B&B in Ischgl compared to 139 Euro per night in Stuben for Dinner + B&B!
latest report
stanton wrote:
@kitenski, Off Piste is not advised (anywhere) this early in the season.

Jesus, I mostly lurk on here but you do post some crap.

Why not? If the snowpack is stable and there is a decent base (as there is in lots of places currently), what's the difference between now and say February?
snow conditions
@Phuzzy, Take it or leave it....

best thing for you to do is stay lurking..or better just leave as your post is dangerous...
ski holidays
@kitenski, also, this week was Schneekristall tariff, tomorrow going into Wedelwochen.
And, my thumbrule, based on 25+years: Schindler and Valluga will not open below 100 cm snow Toofy Grin, similar goes for Madloch
ski holidays
@Langerzug, klopt
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
@Phuzzy, Take it or leave it....

best thing for you to do is stay lurking..or better just leave as your post is dangerous...

rolling eyes Great explanation as to why... Oh hang on, I've got it, it must be something to do with a full moon or some other nonsensical cowdoo that comes from you. Laughing
ski holidays
Rüfikopf-Zürs open today (shorter classic route without towlift)
Zürsertäli is groomed, should open soon too, and thus possibly also Muggengrat-Zürsersee
Lech-Oberlech largely open too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy