Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@Maersk, stick to container-skiing. The Arlberg is pants after February …………… best stick to France wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski season in Artberg starts in May when are lifts close.. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like maybe 10 - 15cm of fresh snow in the village. Wet maybe, but still snow.

It is still early, and much could change before the winter proper sets in, but it is hard to not get excited! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maersk wrote:
Is St. Anton that good in March?...................... leading question...........honesty appreciated................. single lift up seems a pain and no ski back....? Austrian virgin........ Looking at the 'map'.........

I suspect you are looking at a different St Anton wink

You need St Anton am Arlberg (there is also St Anton im Montafon nearby for example).

March is a great time to be in the Arlberg. FWIW last year I skied powder down to town in closing day at the end of April:

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, Niice....

You'll be getting those skins out soon and heading up Schindler?!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, I've taken tomorrow off work wink Not sure yet if I'll go east or west though
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ulmerhutte, Yes , its snowing down the valley in Flirsch
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, @clarky999, Enjoy, not jealous at all...... wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
@Markymark29, I've taken tomorrow off work wink Not sure yet if I'll go east or west though

Nice. You got a buddy? Want another one? wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some new Fotos over here for the LiftRiders

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=4700#p5220170
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks@stanton, can't wait to hit the white stuff. Interesting to see which way the skiers will head when downloaded, hopefully there'll be a big sign sending them in the direction of the Ulmerhutte and nowhere else. Very Happy .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidthornton, it is quite likely that Mattun will become a groomed skiroute...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flashback 20 yrs to when it was good

http://youtube.com/v/fDrlYXM6fd4
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Langerzug wrote:
@davidthornton, it is quite likely that Mattun will become a groomed skiroute...

I would say “possibly” versus “likely”.

There are a number of places in Mattun that would difficult to groom (eg because they are very cross-slope) or problematic (eg due to avi risk). I guess the worst of the cross-slope could be avoided by taking the groomed slope westwards at Bruno’s hut, but that slope is prone to wet-snow slides. I doubt anybody would entertain heavy earthworks in Mattun to fix some of those issues. In the end, I think it is likely it will remain an ungroomed route, albeit with much more traffic in the top section.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ulmerhutte, ok, ‘possibly’ will do wink it has been a long time since I was on Mattun
But it would be a ‘commercial’ thing to do for St.Anton.
And good to ease the pressure on Valfagehr and Zürs. And keep guests in St.Anton restaurants and lifts (they are losing money now to Zürs and Lech)
Is Mattun very different from Madloch, groomwise? Can’t remember...
latest report
@Langerzug, its very different especially the Mattunjoch variant from the top of the new lift. Madloch is in effect a piste without snow canons, though it can get cut up with lots of moguls in the afternoon (and some of the variants are less piste like) whereas the Mattun bowl is not pisted in any way, just a couple of lines of marker poles which merge around the hut, these seem to have little purpose though I guess that they do indicate a route supposedly checked for potential avalanche risk. The Mattun routes have signs at the entrances along the lines that these are high mountain routes with various "alpine" risks and should be treated appropriately. Madloch is part of the "Weiss Ring" / "Run of Fame" routes promoted by the tourist offices.

I doubt it will make any difference to Mooser or KK etc
ski holidays
@munich_irish, up til now Mattun was hardly used because it being quite impossible to get there due to the Vallugabahn queues.
But that is obviously completely about to change.
Madloch is not an easy area to groom either, quite a few bottlenecks still today, whilst many adaptations already have been done. More rocks also around Madloch I think.

I’m not just talking about KK and Mooser, but more about lunch.
The masses heading to Zürs and Lech are about 99% also spending there lunch there. Think about the losses for the St.Anton pisterestaurants since Flexenbahn.
We all know that Lech-guests are hardly compensating for that, they stick to Oberlech for lunch Cool

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 12-11-19 23:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Folks @Langerzug, has picked up on info i posted earlier..

My info is solid ..re Matungrat

Arlbergerbahn does not care at all about bars or resturants except the ones they operate..

You folks should put your efforts and follow the developments/news on the reincarnation of St Christoph to Moos Piste Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@stanton, different subject...
And it always strikes me how much marketingeffort is being done for their restaurants, both by Skilifte Lech and AbbAg....must be worthwhile...
There is a lot about to change in St.Anton due to Schindlergratbahn. Complete new logistics, which even AbbAG will have to wait and see how things are going to be.
But a new Mattun piste a-la Zürsertäli e.g. would definitely make St.Anton more attractive for the masses that are looking for cruisy pistes...
snow conditions
@Langerzug, the Mattun bowl can be pretty busy but agree most folk came via the Kappall chair rather than the Mattunjoch side which either involved a dull plod or using the Valluga chair and short drag. Whilst access to Mattunjoch is going to be much easier I cant see it getting that much more use, the first section is fairly steep and narrow, often with big moguls, it is more difficult than the main Mattun run. Perhaps there will be some accidents caused by folk without the necessary ability and maybe that will cause pressure to make the run "easier" but I doubt it. As Stanton says the mooted run / piste from St Christoph seems more likely. What is possibly more of an issue is avalanche protection as this area is often closed because of the risks, given it will be much easier to access more likely folk will ignore the "closed" signs and get caught. Avalanche fencing in this area has been the cause of a lot of friction between the land owners and the lift company.

I am not sure the new lift will make that much difference, yes more folk on the upper part of the Valgefahr and Schindlerkar (unfortunately) but most of the supposed hordes heading towards Lech only use the lower "blue" section of Valgefahr access to which is unchanged.
snow conditions
Can't see Mattun being groomed from either Mattunjoch or Kapall, as has been pointed out, the terrain is undulating and erratic. At Madjoch the ski route is somewhat mainstream and well skied, whilst most of the skiers on Mattun previously accessed it on the traverse from Kapall and the routing after was what you fancied, the hut being a popular marker. I don't think that the entry into Mattun from Mattunjoch is particularly testing as the snow is usually very good, being in shade. I think Mattun is going to get very busy from Mattunjoch with the exit off Mattun into Steissbachtal a possible bottleneck.
Also, Schindlerkar is going to suffer from weight of numbers, years ago it was quiet bowl, nowadays even before the new Schindlergratbahn is open, it gets busy, skied out the morning after a snowfall, it's even been groomed at times. Sad
snow report
Does anyone remember the days before they trashed Shocked Schindlerkar and started grooming it for carpet skiers Shocked Shocked ?
snow report
stanton wrote:
Does anyone remember the days before they trashed Shocked Schindlerkar and started grooming it for carpet skiers Shocked Shocked ?

Absolutely! In the days before the Schindlergratbahn was built it was only accessed by the t-bar from Valluga, unless you skinned.
snow report
@davidthornton, from my experience Schindlerkar is skied out within an hour or two of the lifts opening not a trace of powder left by lunchtime! Cant remember it ever not being groomed, maybe if the snow comes after it has been bashed, it is to all extents and purposes a piste. Given that the old Schindlergratbahn was 40 years old you and Stanton must have been skiing a good deal longer than me (I have just got my cheap Bahn card Blush )
snow report
@davidthornton, @munich_irish, you are making something very special out of Mattunjoch (Kapall-Mattun is simply another route)
Madloch, Zürsertäli, Valfagehr or Rüfikopf are or were equally erratic and undulating, typically for the Arlberg region.
It just takes some grooming, snowmoving and possibly some future landscaping here and there to make Mattun into a typical Arlberg groomed skiroute. And a very pretty one it would be, bringing skiers right back in the centre of the resort, instead of additional pressure in the direction of Alpe Rauz.
Either Schindlerkar or Mattunjoch probably will have to “give”, I think.
snow report
On a separate subject, I’ve seen on previous years threads some live weather station graphs of snow depth, temp etc going back about a week or so for specific locations (e.g. zursersee).

Can anyone point me towards the site where I can access these?
ski holidays
Schindlerkar was rarely groomed in the 80's and early 90's..

Likewise lowerdown off Gampen pre World Champioships Fang was very narrow and never groomed ..it.was a private powder paradise.. Very Happy Then they trashed the whole part of the mountain with carpet.
snow conditions
@hollando,

Tirol

https://www.lawis.at/station/?lang=de&intro=false&zoom=11&center=46.692091352387365%2C10.541411643305596
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, I am afraid you are stuck with the St Anton hordes "invading" Lech every day, a bit more "piste" in St Anton is not going to make any difference. Perhaps there should be an extra charge for using the Flexenbahn Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Schindlerkar is skied out within an hour or two of the lifts opening not a trace of powder left by lunchtime!

@munich_irish, Not my experience tbh, if you keep right and high you can get days of fresh powder, down to the track. The centre gets tracked quickly as does the main LH traverse but right stays in good condition.
latest report
Big dump on the way for Sud Tirol ….not Arlberg this time Crying or Very sad

Run the "Niederlschlag" graphic !

http://www.zamg.ac.at/incaanalyse/
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

Schindlerkar is skied out within an hour or two of the lifts opening not a trace of powder left by lunchtime!

@munich_irish, Not my experience tbh, if you keep right and high you can get days of fresh powder, down to the track. The centre gets tracked quickly as does the main LH traverse but right stays in good condition.
Yep. You can usually find powder for a couple of days, especially if you take one of the couloirs on the right, off the top of the (old) Schindlergratbahn, which take you straight into the good stuff in Schindlerkar. But maybe access to those has been restricted now as well?
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

Maybe so but for those who are not so athletic these days and whose knees are creaking slightly the area not too far from the marker poles is the place to be......
ski holidays
The new Hotel under construction near the Galzigbahn is called

Das Giggler Hotel
latest report
snow report
Kappl- St Anton Connection

Official.. No Appeal to be submitted by Bergbahnen Kappl .

https://www.tt.com/panorama/verbrechen/16261319/keine-berufung-zur-skiverbindung-paznaun-st-anton

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Other options are being looked at.. i.e Ischgl Silverettabahn involvement... This could take years.
ski holidays
@stanton, Excellent, maintains Malfontal wilderness
snow report
stanton wrote:
Kappl- St Anton Connection

Official.. No Appeal to be submitted by Bergbahnen Kappl .

https://www.tt.com/panorama/verbrechen/16261319/keine-berufung-zur-skiverbindung-paznaun-st-anton

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Other options are being looked at.. i.e Ischgl Silverettabahn involvement... This could take years.

Quote:
Nicht vom Tisch ist das angestrebte Ziel selbst. Wie von der Tiroler Tageszeitung berichtet, wird derzeit eine Alternative geprüft — eine Überspannung des Malfontals mit einer Seilbahn.
Not quite. They are still looking into the possibility of a 'Panoramabahn' stretching over the Malfontal, which would be a good solution IMO, see S1 in Kitzbühel.
snow conditions
@Steilhang, S1 is a great lift been on it many times, but it'd be much higher, would face huge opposition and damage the nature esp in summer, the top end of Malfontal is a beautiful place
snow conditions
@Markymark29, don't quite see how it would damage the nature. Anyway, I don't expect this to happen any time soon. More likely is that Bergbahnen Kappl will go bankrupt before it happens, given that this was an existential item for them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy