Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From a few weeks ago:
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish,

glaube an die Kühe !!

Almabtrieb 2019

http://youtube.com/v/z1Ap9DbtM_o
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stanton, Almabtrieb was 3 weeks ago
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Warm Days coming...trust the Cows..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whilst nerding around the internet I see that zugerbahn and schlosskopfbahn are written up as planned projects, multigondola. Does anyone have any idea why the AB seem to be obsessed with gondolas at the moment ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hsdee, you are wrong, compared to other resorts, Arlberg actually has very little gondola’s.
Check Saalbach eg.
Reasons for gondola’s are: safety for kids, especially in skischoolgroups, hikers/walkers (also easier for downloading, since going down in a chair is problematic for people suffering vertigo).
The new Schindlergratbahn, with mid-station, is only possible as a gondola. Similar goes for Flexenbahn.
Apart from this: Zugerberg and and Schlosskopf are already mentioned ca. 10 years on that list....first lift to be built in Lech is the Grubenalpebahn, a 6-chair wink Although it is expected that next summer, or 2021, indeed Zugerberg and new Madloch (unmentioned in those lists) will be realized, both yes, as gondola...it is suggested that new Madloch will be a similar solution as Schindlergrat.
Oh, and AB=Arlberger Bergbahnen=St.Anton. (Or rather AbbAG)
Lech= Skilifte Lech GmbH and Seillifte Oberlech GmbH
Separate companies! (Zürs and Stuben have there separate companies as well)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hsdee,
I have read that the current 10 person Gondola designs are the most efficient lifts on the market, at the moment. Their capacity and line speed enable longer spacing between vehicles. Longer spacing means fewer pylons and therefore lower cost and less maintenance. Gondolas larger than 10 persons apparently require 2 clamps, which means more expense and more maintenance etc. Also I have seen it read that Gondolas tend to require fewer staff to manage loading than chairlifts.

I imagine that Gondolas are also climate proof. In a post skiing world Gondolas will still have a function for walkers, cyclists and the mobility impaired. Chairlifts will only have scrap value Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton needs a psychiatrist

He is posting you tube clips of Cows that rival Mr Fish

http://youtube.com/v/NnxjZ-aFkjs

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 17-10-19 21:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter S wrote:
@hsdee,
In a post skiing world Gondolas will still have a function for walkers, cyclists and the mobility impaired. Chairlifts will only have scrap value Sad

It's easy enough for walkers, cyclists etc to use chair lifts. Just take a look at Whistler during the summer months.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Peter S, that makes some sense, the fewer pylons there are means less cost and less planning issues. I am going to miss the old Schindler lift, there was a connection to the environment around you not the same inside a steel and perspex box. However it has come to the end of its useful life so understand going for the new gondola.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Peter S, Furthur spaced spaced pylons, good argument, but often the gondola pylons seem to be chunkier and higher, just observation, upload capacities of gondolas to chairs seem to be similar. That would be an interesting conversation with a lift engineering designer, right thats my mission next winter.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
New Schindlergratbahn

No downloading from Middle Station.

Wind will be the issue with this new Lift.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, Assume you are talking the new lift? Why would anyone want to download from the middle station, just gone up there for the ride and then deicided to go back down? I think they'd ski or board from there don't you?

I must admit I personally think that its a strange decision to put a gondola in this wind susceptible location, i'd have thought they'd have gone for a 6-8 person fast covered chair as in other areas eg Tanzbodenbahn rather than a gondola. I'm personally not a big fan of gondolas, I'd rather keep my skis on and be outside rather than potentially scrumming for a gondola as at say Albona and be stuck inside, which is no longer the expeience it once was for me, a highlight of Albona used to be the A1 and 2 climb out of Stuben......guess it's progress and all about speed of uplift and numbers, but for me it somehow spoils the experience. I can see potentially more wind driven closures for Schindlergratbahn than would have been the case for a chair.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Albonabahn I on a cold frosty morning, first swing as you take off then slowly riding up over the barriers and through the trees... nice.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, +1 awesome, love that too......spotting that line jumping those barriers a-la Candide Thovex and then jumping from mushroom to mushroom, as the snow falling glistens in the sunlight as you crest and see the top and ............. then realise (in my case) you'd better wise up and face reality and perhaps leave that for another day, and choose an easier more forgiving line! Laughing
latest report
Chairlift and midstation is not a realistic combination. And a 8 chairlift ending on top of narrow Schindlergrat..... carnage
Only a gondola is making this new solution (midstation and lower endstation) for schindler possible
latest report
@Markymark29, agree...makes no sense..

Im not interested in Lifts for enviromental reasons ..Im only interested in the engineering.
ski holidays
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2913692385326692

Arianna Tricomi hopping the avalanche barriers.

It is of course possible to have a chairlift with a midstation, peak 8 Breckenridge has one, or what about a mixed chair / gondola solution. Oh well. After a little more internet perusing I came across previous searches for resorts with the most gondolas, etc. Barring all the current pro's and cons i'm erring to the thought that perhaps it's currently vogue with customers expectations.
latest report
hsdee wrote:

It is of course possible to have a chairlift with a midstation, peak 8 Breckenridge has one, or what about a mixed chair / gondola solution. Oh well. After a little more internet perusing I came across previous searches for resorts with the most gondolas, etc. Barring all the current pro's and cons i'm erring to the thought that perhaps it's currently vogue with customers expectations.

There are many lifts in North America with mid-lift stations. Too many to list. I prefer a slow, heavy double that can handle some wind. Or, better yet, my touring rig...
ski holidays
I suspect most of those North American lifts will have been manufactured by European lift companies ?
latest report
Well, even endstations for 8-chairs (we are not talking doubles or quads here) sometimes are unpleasantly chaotic (Weibermahd!)
And anyway, on Schindlergrat there simply is no space for an 8-chair.
The gondola will be a 10 seater, at approx half the width of an 8-chair. And the gondola is provided with doors on both sides to make a lefthand exit possible at the narrow midstation. (And usual righthand exit in endstation)
8-chairlifts are very sensitive to wind as well.
ski holidays
hsdee wrote:

Some one never told then it is illegal !
latest report
Griabli Terrace has been rebuilt

Tony & Chris will playing this season with the band on Tuesdays..
snow report
@stanton, just wish they had live music on more often. Bring back the CCJ'S Laughing
ski holidays
@Peter S, true, usually Doppelmeyer. Only US lift mfr I can think of is Skytrac. The Chair 6 replacement at Crystal Mtn is by them. I dunno, but it looks cheap. Lots of nuts and bolts, fewer welds. Beats hiking!
snow report
Cold Front coming in with precipitation. Freeze Level 2000Metres

Behind the 2/3 day Cold Front it warms up again …...
snow report
New Schindlerbahn complete and running tests already! Snow due this week....not long now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, there are some pictures on Alpinforum of the lift running with the gondolas still wrapped up in the protective white coverings. After all the glorious autumn weather we have had it looks pretty damp and chilly there at the moment.
snow report
@munich_irish, local friends hiked up Wirt from St Christoph yesterday looked beautiful, amazing autumnal colours.
ski holidays
Fotos over here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=4675#p5218406
latest report
GoDeep 2019 - Austrian Powder Trip from snowworldpictures
https://vimeo.com/366124496
snow report
@DB, nice video, but they musta got up there early. St.Anton is usually tracked out 30 seconds after the lifts open on a powder day!
latest report
@Steilhang, +1

@DB, don’t immediately recognise the big vert cliff face skiers left....will have to look again. Nice video that.
snow conditions
shocking technique though! the benefit of wide skis!
snow report
@Steilhang & @Markymark29,
Probably not tracked out because they skinned up, I didn't recognise where it was either.

@kitenski,
Yes there's a lot of straight legged shoulder twisting going on, the quality of the snow is much better than the quality of the skiing. Looks like they were having fun though.
snow conditions
@DB, it is not just one spot. Trittkopf-area and Schindlergratbahn are recognizable.
latest report
@DB, was thinking that the first couloir was on Schindler, which is why it would get tracked out. Could be wrong of course.
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
@DB, was thinking that the first couloir was on Schindler, which is why it would get tracked out. Could be wrong of course.

Yes I think you're right, guess they either skinned up to get first tracks or were on the first lift.

snow report
@Steilhang, @DB, Good spot.....only ever done the ones on the right, never been brave enough to go down there! Laughing

@kitenski, Agreed, but they look happy enough so good for them, looks like great snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy