Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@stanton, my reading of all this is that ski touring is also now banned, basically it puts more pressure on the health system in case of accidents, but perhaps I have got that wrong.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skimastaaah, Strolz sale....I feel for you. Puzzled rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Langerzug wrote:
@skimastaaah, Strolz sale....I feel for you. Puzzled rolling eyes

Rather a tongue-in-cheek comment. But it raises the prickly question of businesses in the Tyrol/Arlberg surviving the Covid-19 storm. As of tomorrow all shops/hotels/accommodations/bars are to close. In effect Austria goes into "lockdown".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When was the Arlberg due to close?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shiva_71 wrote:
When was the Arlberg due to close?

26 April 2020
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So 5 weeks income to the area gone. Wow. I guess its those at the bottom, cleaners, waiter/tresses etc...who will feel it sooner and harder...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, my reading of all this is that ski touring is also now banned, basically it puts more pressure on the health system in case of accidents, but perhaps I have got that wrong.

Yup, I would say so, on the reading of this: https://www.tyrol.com/information-coronavirus

Maybe you could get away with it, if you had a dog and argued you were taking it for a “walk”? Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shiva_71 wrote:
So 5 weeks income to the area gone. Wow. I guess its those at the bottom, cleaners, waiter/tresses etc...who will feel it sooner and harder...

Sadly, yes. The ladies who cleaned our apartment are obviously not rich and St Anton is not a cheap place to live. Some may have to leave the area as I doubt there will be much other employment after finishing the shutdown cleaning of hotels and apartments. I feel for them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The majority of workers in Austria are from East-Europe, and seasonal.
Hungary, Slowakia, Serbia.
(apart from skibums from Norway that manage to visit Milan and Bergamo, in between...)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Langerzug wrote:
The majority of workers in Austria are from East-Europe, and seasonal.
Hungary, Slowakia, Serbia.
(apart from skibums from Norway that manage to visit Milan and Bergamo, in between...)

True, but the 2 ladies who were front-of-mind when I wrote the post are local. Both were originally from Eastern Europe, but have made a new life for themselves in St Anton. I am sure there are others.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
10 pages of funeral ads this friday in Bergamo.
And Dutch hospital staff tested positive after a ski weekend St.Anton
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Does anybody know what sparked this rather comprehensive lock-down of St Anton? Last I heard was that a school teacher at Mittelschool and a Norwegian who stayed in Pettneu tested positive. Are the actual numbers of positive tests significantly higher, or was the concern about how many people these 2 cases might have contacted/infected?

There were more than that reported by the Tiroler Tagezeitung who have been getting the info from Land Tirol. Day or two ago they said that two thirds of the cases in Tirol could be contributed to either St Anton or Paznaun (Ischgl Valley). Austrian social security will cover pay up to the end of contracts for those of us who have lost our jobs, and the government have announced financial packages (not too sure what they cover). Fingers crossed it all blows over soon to minimise the impacts, things in Tirol are very much restricted, and there is a police and military presence around the place ensuring people are sticking to the curfews/restrictions, with fines available to those not abiding by them.

It's not just the income from the rest of the season gone, it's the impact in to the summer season too, people have already been cancelling their summer holidays in the Arlberg.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lech-Zürs now quarantined:

Quote:
According to a decree of the state government, Lech/Zürs and Stuben will be under quarantine from today and can no longer be reached. Road connection: closed until further notice. Lech Zürs Tourist Ofiice can be reached by calling +43 5583 21610 until 18:00 hrs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sitter, details are beginning to emerge of what happened in Ischgl see https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152247 presume something similar happened in St Anton
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This from the Bavarian news (quick Google translate!)

In Austria, other communities have been quarantined due to the spread of the coronavirus. The entire Vorarlberg Arlberg region with the municipalities of Lech, Klösterle, Stuben, Warth and Schröcken is affected. The region was cordoned off on Tuesday afternoon, said head of state Markus Wallner. No one should drive into or leave the area until April 3. This also applies to all guests.

All people who have been in the region in the past two weeks would have to quarantine themselves. "It is not voluntary." Wallner cited the reason for the fact that five cases had become known in Lech on Monday and a high number of unreported cases is expected. So far, the municipality of St. Anton on the Tyrolean side of the Arlberg and the Paznaun valley with the towns of Ischgl and Galtür have been quarantined in Austria.

In further comments from the German Federal Health minister

The spread of the corona virus in Germany and Denmark has "a lot to do" with the return of numerous holidaymakers from the ski areas in South Tyrol, Austria and Switzerland. He therefore appeals to returning ski vacationers to stay at home.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@Sitter, details are beginning to emerge of what happened in Ischgl see https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152247 presume something similar happened in St Anton

Wouldn't surprise me, but it had to have got here somehow in the first place. Have heard reports that some of the Norwegians that were the first confirmed in Pettneu didn't actually stick to the quarantine, and instead went out skiing and hitting up the apres bars, not sure how accurate that actually is. More people in Anton coming down with it, but extent is varying quite a lot, I have a friend who is laid up in bed with it, another who is showing no symptoms despite testing positive.
snow conditions
@Sitter, I am sure apres bars were a perfect spot to spread the virus around. The problem is many, perhaps most, show few if any symptoms. Why should you stop your life (or expensive ski holiday) if you feel perfectly well? Given the number of people who pass through St Anton who knows now how it got there, most likely from someone who had been in Italy but it could have been elsewhere doubt we will ever know. Hope your friends recover soon.
latest report
Pfiat di

Foreign Workers/Skibum evacuation.

The Brits were evacuated on Saturday..

The Dutch are leaving very soon..

There is a notice on Galzigbahn for German evacuation.

Many other Nationalities are waiting for there turn...to leave

Anyone who has a car here (i.e drive home) is not allowed to leave..

Lockdown continues until at Least April 13th
________________________________________-

Class Action Lawsuit

https://www.thelocal.at/20200328/skiers-unleash-legal-avalanche-on-austria-over-virus

________________________________________________-

IMPORTANT ..

Take a chance to Read this Excellent Article....

https://www.ultimatesportclub.com/post/i-am-part-of-the-problem?fbclid=IwAR3l0chVMmWDf2StfcIM7oYjwZaOVvfCjyishcdBWYjFGuL8weqLcJ1OteU
snow conditions
Not just (some of) the Brits that have left, some Swedes have already left too, ditto Germans and those with a haupt- or nebenwohnsitz in Austria. Cars are allowed to leave too, you just have to follow the procedure and get the correct paperwork.
ski holidays
@stanton, thanks for the update, it's interesting to see what's going on in St.A at this time. Please post more photos if you have them. Is there are reason you are 'down a crevasse' ? Is this permanent ?
snow conditions
Not a lot of social distancing in that queue!
ski holidays
@stevew, My initial thoughts also, that said most of these people will have observed the 14 day isolation and will hopefully be in good health. Being put straight on coaches and shared planes back home so in reality I don't suppose they are too worried, what's coming is probably no worse than they've been subjected to already? Not saying it's right but they are probably weary and just want to get out, and airborne virus in a queue will potentially not be as bad as that they will get subject to on a crowded bus/ plane, or bars/ hotels/ restaurants in recent weeks.
snow report
@Markymark29, +1

Also, seats on those flights were advertised, via the UK embassy in Austria, to other season workers wanting to get home. They stipulated that people travelling hadn't to be showing any symptoms and not have tested positive CV19 (although for any in St Anton I suspect the latter was a bit of a moot point as I understand they haven't always been testing people in the quarantined areas).
ski holidays
Just found out that one of the guys on the trip to st Anton at start of march is in hospital with the virus. They left on the day of the mass evacuation. Thankfully I missed the trip this year and hope he recovers. In his early 60's but fit and healthy.
snow conditions
@jw83113, there is a thread devoted to the subject of why @stanton is "down a crevasse" best avoid yet more boring nonsense on this thread too.
snow report
27yr old Croatian Quarantine Story.....

https://www.heute.at/s/saisonier-am-arlberg-ich-will-nur-nach-hause--51928648

Two Paragliders reported for breaking CV19 Lockdown ( Hight Risk port & exceeds time outside) Regulations.

https://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/coronavirus-polizei-strafte-zwei-paragleiter-am-arlberg/400801475

@munich_irish, @munich_irish, @DB, Over on the "Ischgl under investigation" topic.

The Local Man who died I reported about when he fell ill back on March 11

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3553192&highlight=local+man#3553192

Some people from The Netherlands are also are reporting that one of them and some other guests from Scandinavia (i believe)
caught the virus in the Hospiz Alm ..They became very sick very quick..

They plus 42 others (2500) are in the Class Action Lawsuit (Tirol/Austrian State).

https://eenvandaag.avrotros.nl/item/nederlandse-wintersporters-dienen-claim-in-tegen-tirol-om-verzwijgen-coronavirus/

The immediate aftermath (Tourists trying to get out) of the Closure has not been reported and I didnt want to however its Public now.

A Dutch Lady (with her friends) tells her story of what happened in town when they announced the sudden closure ....

https://www.gelderlander.nl/binnenland/malou-46-raakte-besmet-met-het-coronavirus-in-tirol-autoriteiten-moeten-dit-hebben-geweten~a21c2121/?referrer=https://www.google.at/

Locals

A very well know person (legend) in St Anton who has Virus has been quite (very) ill for the last
two weeks but luckily appears to be improving.

Official Weather

High air pressure will determine the weather beyond the weekend throughout the entire next week. Moreover, early summer like warm and dry air will increasingly reach us from south-west Europe. Subsequently, a longer period of fair weather with pleasantly warm temperatures is expected. Bright sunshine and clear skies will determine the weather. At least isolated fair-weather clouds may interfere with the weather due to the increasing temperatures during the day.
ski holidays
40 day quarantine being lifted midnight tomorrow, well done to all in Anton and Pettneu - great job, now they can enjoy themselves
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
40 day quarantine being lifted midnight tomorrow, well done to all in Anton and Pettneu - great job, now they can enjoy themselves

Pettneu was never quarantined, just St Anton (and then Lech, but that's Vorarlberg so different regime so not quarantine for as long).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sitter, You're correct, my bad! Some funny comments on the Holla at me FB group about Trump walls etc....
latest report
OK that is a wrap for this season... Last Day of the Season if it had not been cut short by CV19

Saturday there was Weiße Rausch online stream in case you missed it

http://youtube.com/v/E-ifslXvDN0

Something for the Carpet Cruisers (couple of seasons old)

http://youtube.com/v/jthID5WKOrw

http://youtube.com/v/U2nBsvrvDqQ

Snow forecast for next Week !!!!

Next Ski Season (Hopefully)

2020/2021 Dec 4th to April 25th
snow conditions
May (Off Season)

Two Ski Tourers (locals) injured in huge 400M wide Slide up on Saumspitze yesterday.

Luckily they were not buried.

https://www.facebook.com/Bergrettung-StAnton-am-Arlberg-1516152765287595/

https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3047617/
ski holidays
Uninjured and skied away.... Silz -

Two 31-year-old ski tourers were swept away by an avalanche on Wednesday during a ski tour in Silz in the Stubai Alps. They were not buried or injured, the police said. The two unfastened their skis just below the summit ridge of the Schartlkopf and continued towards the ridge when a 70-meter-wide avalanche broke loose.

Ski tourers who had watched the action started the rescue chain. The 31-year-olds were able to ski down to the valley on their own. (APA)
ski holidays
May Ski Tour

Kaltenberg Verwallgruppe Alperauz Maroital

http://youtube.com/v/Fg9nHgQHgxA
ski holidays
@stanton, just watched that video and kept pausing it to google the locations..and then in the last 3 seconds it showed the route and route tomes distance etc..fascinating video and something I would love to do when it’s not prime ski season. Was that filmed in may? And are you in the video?
After Covid issues if I wanted to do something like that with a guide could you recommend anywhere?
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/30xgdcP6hxw
latest report
COVID-19 in St. Anton | A Tourist Town's Pandemic Experience

http://youtube.com/v/zmyP1ACnh9I
snow report
@stanton, excellent movie, Friday 13th evacuation was one of the scariest events of our lives.

The following week 3 of our party of 4 developed symptoms. Thankfully we recovered ok after 14 day isolation.
ski holidays
According to a well informed contributor in the German Alpinforum, first works on the valley station of the new Zugerbergbahn have started. A new garage will come this summer, (much) more to follow probably next year(s) (?) Major removal of trees already...
See pics
https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=5950
snow conditions
An acquaintance of mine who was working in St Anton this winter took ill and spent 8 weeks in bed, 4 weeks in coma and is now slowly rehabbing, but may need a hip replacement (no idea why). Fit tennis instructor in mid forties. 16 weeks in hospital. Scary.
ski holidays
@Langerzug, Quite sad to see all that woodland chopped back, I love that Zug bottom station area.

@Ghost Dog, Gosh wish him well from me, it was a very serious concentrated outbreak there and the Austrians did exceptionally well at containing it, hitting lockdown hard, and moving the tourists out (arguably giving the other countries the problem)......to this day I can not believe we weren't temperature checked on re-entry to the UK, weren't advised to isolate (even through we all did for 14 days) and that despite having all the papers to travel and gave these in at the Austrian authorities, who said they were sending them onto the UK we have never been contacted retrospectively. Not surprising given the shambles the UK government has shown they are in dealing with the pandemic. There must have been 1000's in the same catagory, all allowed back into the UK unchecked, and untested.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy