Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@gortonator, great stuff.

All resorts in Voralrberg, Tyrol, Carinthia and Salzburg to close.

From Lech Zurs FB page.

DIESER WINTER IST VORBEI!

https://www.facebook.com/147143513446/posts/10158282420428447/?d=n&substory_index=0
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's hard to believe that the season is over just like that. It's only a few weeks since we were in St.A and then looking forward to return for the Easter trip. It's sad for us who are missing our planned ski trips but must be so much worse for all the fantastic local staff that rely on the ski season to make a living. Lets hope the snow arrives early ready for the season start in December and as many of us as possible are able to visit when it does.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mass exodus this morning, our hotel is now empty apart from us and friends. Trains all full to Zurich today so we’re here until tomorrow whatever! Very strange feel in town.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes there may be a mass exodus underway, but still a surprising number of people out on the hill. Slushy lower down but icy up top and quite windy. Weird feeling amongst the workers, it's the end of the season but not really got the chance to party or say bye to people, bit subdued really.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Watching the press conference now, it sounds like St Anton and whole Paznaunertal (Ischgl etc) will be quarantined/isolated... Not sure exactly what that will mean though.

Stay tuned!!!

This should be updated ASAP: https://www.tyrol.com/information-coronavirus
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pure-resort warth are saying they are still awaiting advice on if they have to void the booking and that currently we are still liable for cancellation fees! I work in travel and they don't have a leg to stand on with that. I may well transfer the booking to next season and I do feel for them as I'm in the Industry myself. But technically, I don't think it's my responsibility to claim on insurance. Also haven't paid any deposit as they don't take any and it's pay on departure. But they still have 70% cancellation fee inside up to 1 week before. hmmmmmm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alex A, a lot of the information/details/practicalities will not have filtered down to individual hotels yet, so it's quite likely they don't fully know where they stand.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999 wrote:
Watching the press conference now, it sounds like St Anton and whole Paznaunertal (Ischgl etc) will be quarantined/isolated... Not sure exactly what that will mean though.

Press conference still going, but just said that foreign guests WILL be allowed to leave those quarantined zones in order to get home.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alex A wrote:
pure-resort warth are saying they are still awaiting advice on if they have to void the booking and that currently we are still liable for cancellation fees! I work in travel and they don't have a leg to stand on with that. I may well transfer the booking to next season and I do feel for them as I'm in the Industry myself. But technically, I don't think it's my responsibility to claim on insurance. Also haven't paid any deposit as they don't take any and it's pay on departure. But they still have 70% cancellation fee inside up to 1 week before. hmmmmmm

I don't know what the official legal position is but the hotel we were due to stay in St.A in a few weeks is offering refunds or rebooking for next season. Not sure if this is just a generous decision by the owners of the hotel or whether they have a legal obligation though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@clarky999, Yeah I can understand as it's unprecedented as well. Booking conditions that they are governed by just speak about finding alternative properties etc if they can't provide what you signed up for. But in this case, it's not the same as there are no alternatives. Also it's different to the other scenario of heavy snow closing a road and you not being able to make it.. that's an insurance job. I feel for them. My wife got made redundant yesterday in her ski agency role as well. I think I'll just re-book as I wanted to go there, so may as well be next year!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jw83113, I reckon that's them being reasonable and logical. Makes you want to re-book!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Genuine question and apologies if covered earlier. If anyone has been in St Anton is the advice to self isolate on return to UK? my brother in law and another friend of mine were both there this week separately. My wife has not long finished radiotherapy so her immune system is shot to pieces. Conscious that I do not want to put my wife's health at risk by seeing them for a catch up..
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
St Anton and the Paznauntal (Ischgl) are being put into quarantine for at least next 14 days. Police checks etc on the roads, all tourists need to leave asap with the advice they self isolate when the get home. Details at https://www.tt.com/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boabski, act as if you have the virus. Do you really need to see them in person?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boabski, details are pretty sparse about St Anton but clearly the Austrian authorities are very concerned about the situation there. If you have been in the village recently the only sensible thing is to assume you are in a high risk group and follow whatever the advice is from local health service, I guess in your case the NHS.
snow conditions
Thanks all. Good advice
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
St Anton and the Paznauntal (Ischgl) are being put into quarantine for at least next 14 days. Police checks etc on the roads, all tourists need to leave asap with the advice they self isolate when the get home. Details at https://www.tt.com/

Bloody manic trying to get out, they started to close the lifts not long after the announcement in the press conference and most shops had shut by 3. No trains stopping in St Anton, ski busses were only just about running and even then they were utterly rammed, people walking to get past the police cordon and the schnellstrasse looked to be backed up beyond Schnann.
ski holidays
Am in St Anton, due to leave at 3:30 tomorrow morning. Assume a coach will be allowed in to pick us up! Apparently a form needed to pass through the police cordon.
snow report
OeBB reporting that trains are no longer allowed to cross into Switzerland.

https://twitter.com/unsereoebb/status/1238490696946003974?s=21
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, the border is closed only local folk who work in Switzerland allowed to cross (that's according to TT)
snow report
All tourists should stay in St Anton and in the quarantine area and self isolate...

Thee authorities will have to deal with this and find emergency isolation accomodation...

Going home is the worse possible cause of action ..trains planes etc

There will be 1000's potentially carrying the virus back home...

Do not try to escape and export the problem
snow report
Foreign tourists are being allowed out of St Anton with a guest confirmation card, any Austrians (holiday or workers) and anybody working in St Anton whatever their nationality are now quarantined there for the next 14 days.
snow conditions
Oh god, can you imagine what Innsbruck airport will be like tomorrow. Good luck everyone, fingers crossed
ski holidays
Just got my exit papers. 7am flight tomorrow, fingers crossed
snow conditions
TBH, can't imagine the airport being any different than a normal Saturday in season, if anything it may be quieter as flights to some countries have been stopped (Switzerland, France, Spain, but not too sure how many flights there actually are from IBK to these). Plus some season staff will no doubt have been booked on some of these and be caught up in the quarantines in place not just in St Anton but in Paznaun too.
snow report
One of my friends has been in Ischgl with Crystal this week. They have an early morning flight from Innsbruck (or so they hope). Crystal tried to bus them out this evening to a hotel near Innsbruck, but after the coach queued for quite a while to get past the army cordon, they were taken back to their hotel. It seems getting through the army cordon wasn't a quick job.
snow report
garystarling wrote:
Just got my exit papers. ..

Austrians, gotta love 'em Laughing
snow report
Passed through police road block without problems at 4am. Now at Innsbruck waiting for flight. One individual waiting at gate is coughing and spluttering continually, for some reason nobody wants to sit next to him.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've just got back, had to get through police checkpoint to be allowed out of resort as now only tourists were being allowed out. Some of the staff at our hotel were given <12h notice that they were on the plane home in the morning. Such a shame for so many people. Just trying to get lunch on Friday was a challenge with lots of places already shut up.
latest report
Hope you all get home safely, hope it's safe when you get home, and may we all have carefree skiing again sometime in the future, which I think might not be for a few years I'm afraid
snow conditions
This from Austrian Media, translated as best.

Situation in St. Anton "depressing"

Many leave St. Anton today. The news also arrived there suddenly,
as Mayor Helmut Mall told the TT. "It would have helped us a lot if we had had an hour or two in advance,
" says Mall. Shortly after the quarantine was announced, there was quite a bit of chaos.
The mayor described the mood in the town yesterday evening as “depressing.
We know that we can get cut off by natural hazards. But such a situation as we are now experiencing
is of course new for us. ”Today it still has to be clarified how those guests who are not allowed
to leave are looked after".
Ski legend Karl Schranz fully understands the government's measures:
“We will survive. It is important that we stay calm in St. Anton and accept the situation.
I prefer that one measure is taken is decisive than too little.
”According to Schranz, health is the greatest good and is above all

In St. Anton Mayor Helmut Mall put the number of guests yesterday at several thousand,
an estimated 200 of them Austrians. There are also around 1,000 tourism employees.
and are allowed
Foreign Tourist (See Below)
All others must not leave the quarantine zone for 14 days.
Not even the Austrian guests. Individuals suffering from the corona virus are isolated in town.

All non-Austrians are registered with a certificate upon departure
They will also be given an information sheet with clear instructions on how to leave without a stopover
and go to a 14-day home quarantine at home and contact the local health authority.
The Austrian Ministry of Health also informs the respective home state of the foreign guests leaving.

CrossBorder travel (Swiss/ Austria) virtually impossible now.. NO Accomodations now.

Fines for evading the blockade are Extremely High+++ In & Out .

Folks to look forward ....

Some epic weather (Pow) in the making in the next couple of weeks and will be fantastic for Touring in the non lockdown
towns

Official Weather

The weather will appear two-parted during this weekend. A mediocre Saturday will be followed by a
mostly fair Sunday. A high-pressure area will set over the Alps and determine the weather up
to and including Thursday. Frequently cloudless skies and bright sunshine are expected throughout
the entire day. Isolated minor clouds cannot block out the sun.
The sunshine will be accompanied by spring-like mild temperatures and result in best conditions
for outdoor activities. The weather does not surrender yet, however,
next Friday will probably introduce a massive decrease in temperature.
snow report
Does anybody know what sparked this rather comprehensive lock-down of St Anton? Last I heard was that a school teacher at Mittelschool and a Norwegian who stayed in Pettneu tested positive. Are the actual numbers of positive tests significantly higher, or was the concern about how many people these 2 cases might have contacted/infected?
snow report
There are many reports of Danes, Norwegians, Dutch and Germans testing positive after returning home from St.Anton and Ischgl
snow report
@Langerzug, where did you see this? I have not heard that.
snow report
@Steilhang, it was more Ischgl than St Anton, but on Thursday there was a relatively large increase in identified cases in Tirol the majority of which were in the Ischgl (inc surrounding) or St Anton area. This seemed to have triggered the sudden response on Friday.

https://www.diepresse.com/5784954/ischgl-reagierten-behorden-zu-spat
ski holidays
As always in these sort of situations lots of rumours (twitter hardly helps) but it does seem to be true that the virus was spread in the various apres ski spots. There was the case a couple of weeks back of the Icelandic folk who were in Ischgl and returned home with the virus. At the time the firm suggestion was that they had picked it up at Munich airport or on the plane home but in retrospect perhaps that was not true. Not impossible either that once people moved from Italy when the situation there became critical were also a cause of the virus spreading. I doubt we will ever know for sure.

The positive side for St Anton and Ischgl is that they are pretty easy to isolate so over the next 14 days any remaining cases can be identified.

This is not just an issue for ski spots, videos doing the rounds of folk singing Sweet Caroline in packed pubs in Dublin last night, could have been any of the apres spots in Ischgl or St Anton.
snow report
@munich_irish, irish pubs with capacity for e.g.500 took all of a couple of hours to erect dividing partitions and open as 5 x 100person venues
snow conditions
@Steilhang, these local cases don’t make it into international news anymore.
I‘ve read about a case of 10 men in Dutch (Frisian actually) town of Leeuwarden, and a group in the German town of Bochum. Both related to St.Anton.
Apart from the staggering numbers in Scandinavia.
To put things in perspective: the Norwegian in Pettneu just returned from Bergamo and Milan. Especially in Bergamo the situation is said to be very severe; morgues are filled to the ceiling and the death are buried alone, without service/family.

This morning the Austrian prime minister has summoned all Austrians to stay at home. In his words: all of Austria is going into pilot light

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 15-03-20 12:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@peanuthead, really? https://twitter.com/tiananmens/status/1238893141341724673
snow report
Austria - UK flights to stop

From FO website

"The Austrian authorities have introduced a number of precautionary restrictions on travel and events in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Extensive restrictions are in place throughout Austria, affecting all areas of everyday life. Air travel restrictions are in place between Austria and a number of countries. From 23:59 on 16 March, there will no direct air links between Austria and the UK, Netherlands, Ukraine and Russia. As of midnight on 16 March, there will be no direct air or rail connections from Austria to Spain, France, and Switzerland. There are no direct flights and trains between Austria and Italy. You should contact your tour operator or airline for more information."

Adios Arlberg, my Easter trip to Strolz's sale is off. My stay at the Hotel Mondschein in Stuben is off. My end of season jolly is off. I'll miss the Arlberg until next season.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy