Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@nozawaonsen, probably for the best.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup, no après at Mooserwirt, but they have still been open for food, from what they've posted on their website it looks like they're taking things on a day by day basis. For the first time it actually felt quieter on the pistes and in town today. Very slushy/heavy on piste, and it's been raining with patches of sunshine so you'd expect the slopes to be a little quieter, but still be busy in town, which it didn't seem to be today.
First confirmed case of Corona in St Anton was confirmed overnight, the bloke, from St Anton, is apparently in the hospital in Zams according to the news websites.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Could not post again yesterday when this news broke.

A local (Man 43) in St Anton is infected and has been isolated in Zams.

https://www.krone.at/2114770

Official Tirol Info

https://www.tyrol.com/information-coronavirus

As poster above has already mentioned some Apres Ski Bars/Clubs (Moose) are voluntarily closing ...others maybe
forced to close.

We have seen what has happened over in Ischgl in the Kitzloch...Far more people were infected than first reported
in the media...The passenger restrictions on Gondolas etc I think will become unworkable...

In my opinion and I repeat My Opinion only ....and hope I am wrong.

Season maybe cut short (Austria) so therefore skins maybe in order..

Official Weather

We will remain in a very tight, westerly current, which will provide for very mild, but rather dry
Atlantic air on Thursday. A cold front with compact clouds and some precipitation will reach us on
Thursday night. The snow line will sink to 1000 m until Friday morning.
The weather will improve as Friday progresses. High-air pressure will set in for longer.
On Saturday, however, scattered clouds will still interfere with the weather.
It will remain late-wintry cold. Towards Sunday the air will become significantly dryer and this
high reaching increase in temperature will be accompanied by minor, high cloud banks on Monday.
Subsequently, high air pressure will provide for bright sunshine. Spring-like warmth is expected.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sitter, yep was operating as a restaurant, terrace tables all stacked up.

Everywhere else seems open.

Suns been breaking through as afternoon progresses.

Slushy bump fun!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This site is good for press releases relating to corona: https://www.tirol.gv.at/gesundheit-vorsorge/infekt/coronavirus-covid-19-informationen/
There have been further positive tests in Tirol, most of which are linked to the Ischgl outbreak.
The Tirol state government are holding a press conference in about 20 minutes on the latest developments here in relation to corona.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Heard today that season could well be over in 2 weeks, very sad times for the local business owners. Schools closing Monday. Been keeping out of bars and terraces are full.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
Heard today that season could well be over in 2 weeks, very sad times for the local business owners. Schools closing Monday. Been keeping out of bars and terraces are full.

Seems to be the feeling amongst a number of people working here in resort, especially with the announced closure of Ischgl on Saturday for 2 weeks. Some of the ski schools have sent staff home, bars, restaurants and hotels closing. Been a weird season at times, but it's not over yet so here's to getting out there and enjoying the rest of it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decided to pull out of trip at weekend Sad . Not because of anything in the resort but because someone I know has been told to self isolate and there is a small chance I might have caught it so am going to be working from home. Bit difficult to justify a trip to the Arlberg (or anywhere else) in these circumstances.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sitter, absolutely.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiroler Tageszeitung saying 3 more infected in St Anton and 2 in Pettneu, and the Mittel Schule is closed as of today (rest of Tirol is not until next week) as teachers have had contact with the first St A case Crying or Very sad
Sounds like the right move @munich_irish.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Growing reports from Netherlands and Germany of groups having returned from St.Anton this weekend being tested positive.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is there a link to the reports anywhere. Due to fly out for a weekend tomorrow morning so wondering what to do
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't go. One girl at work came back after a week in St Anton. She was sick the next day, both her and BF are being tested.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jakebarton, I was going to go this weekend, had train tickets and accommodation booked. However as you can see above I have cancelled though due to (the unlikely) possibility I have the virus currently. I was mulling over what to do in any case and had decided to go but avoid the apres places (not a big issue for me). Given that all it involves for me is a few hours on a train I could have easily made the decision tomorrow lunchtime with minimal issues so not a big thing either way. However travelling from elsewhere is rather different. I suspect there is less chance of catching the virus skiing than in an urban environment but this really is a decision only you can make. Many people I know take the view that most of us are going to get the virus anyway so might as well get it out of the way others think that approach is complete madness.

The tourist office has an info page here https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/archiv/highlights-news/coronavirus-latest but that really just repeats infomation available elsewhere,like washing your hands etc.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, thanks for the heads up. Like you not fussed about the apres ski. One of my concerns is they decide to close the resort tomorrow/ Saturday and then I’m stuck with no flight back until Monday.
snow report
@Jakebarton, I think it unlikely that the resort will close this weekend BUT I am not there and have no inside information (neither does Stanton, Whitegold etc). Even with Ischgl they have given a few days notice but it is easy to come up with various bad scenarios however unlikely. The airlines are being very flexible with flights (I had one I changed three times earlier this week, it was done no questions asked and without the usual fees etc) so dont think that would be a concern but they are also cancelling flights due to few passengers so that can cause issues. However there is clearly the general uncertainty about travelling which is causing stress. I have a work colleague who was due to get married in Las Vegas next month, that is clearly now off!

My view before my own issues was sod it, this could be the last weekend for some time before I can do anything so I am going to go skiing, whether that is a sensible outlook who knows.

If you read German this https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=62527&p=5241469#p5241469 is worth looking at as it is often the best place for info, things posted there often appear on here as inside news Laughing
ski holidays
Taps, Heustadl and KKs all closed this afternoon.

As a result all the bars around Galzigbahn are overrun.

A few groups of two or three sitting enjoying the sun with a glass or two on the side of the slopes. Which all things considered is probably more pleasant.
ski holidays
Here we go again with my daily post..

First of all @munich_irish, Over the many seasons of posting from Arlberg I have heard/been told things from
extremely reliable local sources which I cannot and will never reveal on here... just except that please. end of thankyou.

Indeed I have linked interesting things from the German Forum (for years) but that is not my "inside" locals source of info.

Folks..

Apres Ski Bars on the hill followed the Moose. KK, Taps etc are now closed for the season ..
Downtown some popular places have closed for the season for instance the joint next to Spar SuperMarkt.
Live music abruptly cancelled at Fanghouse today.

Many many Hotel & Bar Staff have already left town.

St Anton is getting in the news in Germany, Netherlands, Czech as tourists have returned back home with symptoms.
(just what has happened in Ischgl) Ischgl & Kappl, See and Galtur are closing for the season on Saturday (Friday last Ski Lifts Friday).

It should be interesting how this pans out between the different Governing States (Voralburg, Tirol)

Latest from Lech Zurs

https://www.lechzuers.com/en/update-on-the-corona-virus-covid-19/

News in town is that the St Anton Burgermeister (Mayor) is expected to make a decision soon...

Good luck hiking and skinning from Close till late May, I think we will have ome awesome Private Powder !!
latest report
@stanton, with these kind of things, it is not Mayors taking decisions....Innsbruck and Vienna are
snow conditions
@stanton, thanks for the update. Difficult decision as to whether to set off tomorrow. Will give it some thought. Am now tending to think give it a miss
latest report
As above really, apres bars on the mountain closing (or in the case of some, closed a couple of days ago), and bars in town are also following suit (Murrmel, Pub 37, Piccadilly, Horny B), just have to wait and see what the coming days have in store.

Nice weather here today, blue skies and warm which meant plenty of people out and about on the slopes. Most seemed to head towards Zuers/Lech as it's been the first day all week really that the weather has been clear enough to want to do so, so it stayed quieter in the slush in St Anton. Busier in town at the end of the day with people not being able to enjoy a beer on the terraces of the on hill apres bars, and then being shut out of some of the bars in town as they then closed (e.g. Anton bar was kicking people out and closing up about 15:30). See what the next few days bring...
latest report
Tirol ends ski season this Sunday. All lifts to close.

LH Platter: „Tirol beendet die Wintersaison“
Schließung aller Seilbahnen mit Ablauf Sonntag, 15. März

Nach einer Besprechung mit VertreterInnen des Tiroler Tourismus wurde heute entschieden, dass die Seilbahnen mit Ablauf Sonntag, 15. März 2020, auf Basis des Epidemiegesetzes geschlossen werden. Ebenso werden alle Beherbergungsbetriebe mit Ablauf Montag, 16. März 2020, behördlich geschlossen. Hierfür wurde deshalb der Montag gewählt, damit eine geordnete Rückreise der Gäste aus den Skigebieten erfolgen kann. „Für uns steht die Gesundheit unserer Gäste, MitarbeiterInnen und der Tiroler Bevölkerung an erster Stelle. Diese Entscheidung ist uns nicht leicht gefallen, aber wir übernehmen Verantwortung für alle TirolerInnen und für alle, die sich in Tirol aufhalten“, so Landeshauptmann und Tourismusreferent Günther Platter.

Details werden bei einer Pressekonferenz morgen, Freitag um 10.00 Uhr, in der Säulenhalle im Landhaus in Innsbruck bekannt gegeben, zu der wir hiermit einladen.
ski holidays
Yup, looks like no more work for me after tomorrow. Remains to be seen what happens with regards to Lech/Zuers. Their webpage is saying they're staying open as they have no cases, and obviously they're in Vorarlberg and not Tirol. But surely only a matter of time given the easy connection between the two parts of the ski area and the fact that a lot of instructors work between the two and apres in St Anton on a regular basis.
ski holidays
Google translation of the above

Tirol ends ski season this Sunday. All lifts to close.

LH Platter: "Tyrol ends the winter season

After a meeting with representatives of Tyrolean tourism, it was decided today that the cable cars would be closed on Sunday, March 15, 2020, based on the Epidemic Act. Likewise, all accommodation facilities will be closed by the authorities as of Monday, March 16, 2020. Monday was therefore chosen so that guests can return from the ski areas in an orderly fashion. “The health of our guests, employees and the Tyrolean population is our top priority. This decision was not an easy one for us, but we take responsibility for all Tyroleans and for everyone who is in Tyrol, ”said Governor and Tourism Officer Günther Platter.

Details will be announced at a press conference tomorrow, Friday at 10:00 a.m., in the pillared hall in the Landhaus in Innsbruck, to which we hereby invite you.
latest report
St Anton is now a ghosttown.

It is a disaster.
snow conditions
Just announced all Austrian Tyrol resorts closing 16th March Sad
snow report
Österreich ist geschlossen!
snow report
Surely Vorarlberg follow ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alex A, not necessarily. Whilst it might seem logical, Vorarlberg sees itself as separate from the rest of Austria, there was a (failed) referendum in the aftermath of the First World War to join Switzerland rather than the new state of Austria. The links between Vorarlberg and the rest of Austria are actually fairly tenuous, the Hochtannbergpass between Warth and Schröcken which is a pretty remote spot, the Silvaretta Hochalpenstrasse (closed in winter) and the Arlberg pass and tunnels. It might be that Land Vorarlberg follows the Swiss rather than distant Vienna. Best wait to see what hapens.
ski holidays
Vorarlberg has followed.
snow conditions
Very sad
snow conditions
@Sitter,
Ugh!
Do you have a link?
We were supposed to be there in 2 weeks time.
snow conditions
Got sent a picture of an official announcement sent to somebody working in Vorarlberg, and also mentioned on the Tiroler Tagezeitung corona live update here: https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus

Literally just been announced so not fully reported yet.
ski holidays
@Cas, it’s 100% definite - been with local friends this evening and they told us. Season’s over.....
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
St Anton is now a ghosttown.

It is a disaster.

Absolute tosh, yes it’s closing, but not the report from someone who is actually there you pillock
snow conditions
@Sitter, gutted Sad bang goes this years trip... and doubt that France will still be open... or anywhere, given how it's tracking. Oh well... next season it is ! Lucky had a great trip in December.
latest report
Thinking that Vorarlberg suddenly could follow Bern instead of Vienna is a bit naive...
Hochtannberg, Silvretta and Arlbergpass....yeah right...Flexenbahn was running today...
Anyway, most likely Bern will follow Vienna shortly...
snow report
@Sitter, & @Markymark29,
Thanks guys!
Sad times indeed, an insurance claim for us but much worse for the staff all round.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@Alex A, not necessarily. Whilst it might seem logical, Vorarlberg sees itself as separate from the rest of Austria, there was a (failed) referendum in the aftermath of the First World War to join Switzerland rather than the new state of Austria. The links between Vorarlberg and the rest of Austria are actually fairly tenuous, the Hochtannbergpass between Warth and Schröcken which is a pretty remote spot, the Silvaretta Hochalpenstrasse (closed in winter) and the Arlberg pass and tunnels. It might be that Land Vorarlberg follows the Swiss rather than distant Vienna. Best wait to see what hapens.

A bit of levity... some Tirolean locals mock Vorarlberg, calling it Canton übrig (Canton Left Over), referring to their failed bid to join Switzerland.
ski holidays
Well, for what it's worth in the circumstances, this is a report from last week with pics and vids. It was a good one!

https://gortonator.blogspot.com/2020/03/a-wonderful-week-in-arlberg.html

Until next year ....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy