Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@Scarlet,
*very hard/icy base
*40 cm of fluffy powder last night.
*Blue bird day tomorrow, will be busy probably...
*Heavy rain forecast up till 2000m for tuesday
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Langerzug wrote:
@nozawaonsen, I’m in Lech currently :-;

Jolly good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Langerzug, Is it snowing there now/tonight? Are you bottoming out against that base? There's enough to cover the rocks though? I'm only over tomorrow so not interested in further ahead. We usually manage to avoid crowds after an initial bunfight at Nasserein gondola. Still not sure on the skis...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, ligth snow this morning, and at this moment. Some sunny spells in between, just did some pistes in Oberlech and a nice lunch at Montana today Very Happy
Conditions are weird. Lot of seriously windblown spots, and never seen so many icy spots in 30 years Arlberg.
But I do think you should be able to find some nice powder.
It was very quiet today in Oberlech
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Langerzug, Thanks. Sounds like the big skis might be a bit of a risk. They don't really work on ice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Langerzug wrote:
@Scarlet,
*very hard/icy base
*40 cm of fluffy powder last night.
*Blue bird day tomorrow, will be busy probably...
*Heavy rain forecast up till 2000m for tuesday

Actually forecasts don't look as much apocaliptic...
Monday still will snow til bottom. Wednesday to Friday temperatures will rise but I don't see much precipitation, forecasts models are changing to more dry weather. And on Friday-saturday logical development is to NW situation when the cold front will cross the area, so new snow to bottom.....

Still too much days to affirm nothing, we will spend the week waiting for thw driest possible weather during warmer phases....and as much as possible amount of snow during cold phases Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also, can anyone tell me the best shop near Nasserein or Galzigbahn that I can buy a helmet that will be open early Sunday morning? Needs a good selection as I have a tiny head, and preferably a sale on Shocked Jennewein? Or someone else got a better range?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All the sports shops open at the same time pretty much, 8:15-8:30, and all have a range of helmet brands but different ones in the different brands. Possibly Alber or Jennewein by the Galzig roundabout for the best choice. Sales just starting to kick in.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sitter, thanks. Current lid is Salomon so that’s a good bet if anyone stocks those?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sitter wrote:
Also, to further clarify Stanton's hype (cos obviously it's better to just post these things without doing a quick check/research), not all the Railjet trains stop at St Anton, they seem to alternate with stopping at either Langen or St Anton. The one that the infected person travelled on is one of the trains that doesn't stop at St Anton, it did however stop at Landeck and Langen.

Not sure about that, in my experience all the "Railjets" stop at St.Anton, the "Nightjet" stops at Langen as well as St. Anton. Langen used to be a regular stop, but in recent years the Langen stop seems to have been dropped.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidthornton wrote:
Sitter wrote:
Also, to further clarify Stanton's hype (cos obviously it's better to just post these things without doing a quick check/research), not all the Railjet trains stop at St Anton, they seem to alternate with stopping at either Langen or St Anton. The one that the infected person travelled on is one of the trains that doesn't stop at St Anton, it did however stop at Landeck and Langen.

Not sure about that, in my experience all the "Railjets" stop at St.Anton, the "Nightjet" stops at Langen as well as St. Anton. Langen used to be a regular stop, but in recent years the Langen stop seems to have been dropped.

Not the case in my experience, and I've seen RailJets pass through St Anton. In fact a couple of years ago I got a cheap Sparscheine ticket from St A to Vienna, I got on in St A, through the tunnel to Langen where I changed to a direct train to Vienna that didn't stop in St A.

Googling the affected RJ train brings up this: https://www.oebb.at/dam/jcr:3fcedd1d-4983-4d84-85bc-9181a179acda/fahrplan_wien-salzburg-innsbruck-bregenz.pdf
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure about all trains (obviously, duh!), but around 9 years ago, the 2 morning trains from Zürich to Wien (and beyond), ie the 8:40 and 10:40, stopped at Langen and not StA. Cannot remember how long that lasted, but likely only a year or 2. Since then, we have gone through to StA.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidthornton, this is not correct. The Railjet / EC trains that originate or terminate in Zürich stop in St Anton and Ötztal then ones that originate or terminate in Bregenz stop in Langen and Imst/Pitztal. There are a few other EC or ICE trains which keep to a different pattern.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
@davidthornton, this is not correct. The Railjet / EC trains that originate or terminate in Zürich stop in St Anton and Ötztal then ones that originate or terminate in Bregenz stop in Langen and Imst/Pitztal. There are a few other EC or ICE trains which keep to a different pattern.

Just checked OBB timetable and it is correct. I was referring to "Railjets" and "Nightjets" only.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowing.
snow report
@davidthornton, https://www.oebb.at/de/dam/jcr:9d0d10e1-5764-48af-ae97-1b2adadf8193/kif400.pdf there are hourly trains between Innsbruck and Bludnez, plus an occasional extra one, like the direct train to Munich on Saturdays. Except for the first and last train they only stop at either Langen or St Anton hence why there is, in general, only a two hourly service to/from St Anton. I have stopped driving to St Anton and only use the train (helped by the fact that I now qualify for a cheap 1st class railcard on DB) so have got to know the vagaries of the train service (such as that the 15:48 from Innsbruck has a Swiss 1st class panorama car). Back at the weekend.
ski holidays
I see that the dolomites ski area in Italy is closing early for the season due to the coronavirus. Does anyone think this could happen in St Anton before the normal end of season ? I've got accommodation booked from 11-18 Apr and I've already paid the deposit. What happens re: travel insurance if the ski lifts shut but the hotel remains open - is this even possible or would all hotels be forced to close if the ski area was shutdown for this reason ?
latest report
@jw83113, lots of unknowns in there. As to is it possible there could be closures the answer must be yes, but impossible to say at this stage.

That said rather than risk turning this into another virus related thread you might want to post your question on one of the three or four threads that are up and running on this as some people on those seem to have done quite a lot of research on the insurance aspects and might give you clearer answers (might not of course).
snow conditions
Meanwhile very snowy early, poor visibility, but lots of fun and cleared up right at the end of the day.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@jw83113, lots of unknowns in there. As to is it possible there could be closures the answer must be yes, but impossible to say at this stage.

That said rather than risk turning this into another virus related thread you might want to post your question on one of the three or four threads that are up and running on this as some people on those seem to have done quite a lot of research on the insurance aspects and might give you clearer answers (might not of course).

The reason I asked here rather than the other threads is that there are few regular contributors who know all the local news. Most of what goes on in St Anton seems to be controlled by a few families who own most of the town and I'm sure there must be discussions going on locally about contingency plans. Where is the dutch cow-whispering taxi driver when we need some useful inside info Laughing
snow report
@jw83113, relying on Stanton for information is really not a good idea. Clarky999 linked to this https://www.tyrol.com/information-coronavirus which is the official Tirol government information page on the issue. Clearly things can change pretty quickly on all this but at the moment the Tirol is one of the quieter areas though there is a story doing the rounds that there has been a case of the virus in one of the apres spots in Ischgl.
snow conditions
@jw83113, the local families are very talented in keeping silent on sensitive things.
And this is about as sensitive as it gets...
You are aware that last week a Norwegian was tested positive in Pettneu, and today his roommate as well?
And they obviously didn’t come for Pettneu...
In Ischgl 1 positive yesterday, 16 this afternoon. All working at the Kitzloch bar. Kitzloch is closed by authorities.
Ischgl is cancelling scheduled events this week...
snow conditions
As above really, further positive tests in the landed area, 15 related to the Ischgl outbreak (that bar has been closed), and one related to the Pettneu outbreak (somebody already in quarantine due to close contact with the Norwegian that tested positive last week). Have heard word of a chalet that has been closed as a precautionary measure this week for deep cleaning/disinfecting due to a guest possibly showing symptoms, although sounds like it's a precautionary measure more than a reaction. Austria are introducing checks on the borders with northern Italy. https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/coronavirus-16-weitere-positive-faelle-im-bezirk-landeck_a3976806?ref=curate

Dusting of fresh snow in to this morning which was nice, although started to get sticky lower down by lunchtime as things warmed up. Wouldn't say the slopes were either noticeably quieter or busier today, beyond what would be expected when the vis/weather up top isn't the greatest.
latest report
@jw83113, yeah, but I doubt any decision along the lines to close the Italian resorts is going to be taken by local families however nefarious and secretive. It’ll be a regional or federal government decision. And with insurance that’s going to be down to the financial provider.

Zurs very quiet, with lots of light powder on piste, but visibility rather than virus likely keeping folk away as Sitter says.
snow conditions
Worst Feb weather I've had in St. Anton since 197?
ski holidays
I'm just so on the fence as to what i should do.

Going to Warth on the 28th April for 8 days. Can cancel today and get 100% back (€6,900) on accommodation. - or wait and see what happens and maybe we have deserted slopes and good snow! Or we get forced to cancel and can't claim as our insurance seems dodgy and lose everything! If it was going to be epic I'd just take the chance and sit back, but this season, anything could happen it seems in terms of rain / sun / snow!
snow report
@Alex A, I suspect that a lot who cancel won't rebook this season, reducing demand. Therefore, you could consider taking the money now so you aren't out of pocket but keep your holiday time off blocked out for the time being with the view to take a decision to rebook or not closer to the time. I'm sure you'd still be able to get accommodation, it's not exactly high season anyway.
snow conditions
@Alex A, I’d say go, we’re in Anton now and there’s nothing different to normal. I don’t know if you’ve been to Warth that late in the season but I’d say it’s pretty late, you’d may be better in Anton or Lech imo.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That will be 28 March presumably?
(28 april season has ended)
But even for 28 March you should’nt have booked in advance imo. So: cancel, and wait and see, you will easily find a room on short notice. And yes, look at Lech too, it is quite a bit more attractive than Warth...
snow conditions
@Alex A, I presume you mean 28th March? I agree with wait and see ( I am going at the weekend) but if you can cancel with no penalty at the moment it might be worth doing and rebooking at the last minute. You might want to ask the accommodation provider if they will extend the cancelation period, given the situation I suspect many will be very keen to keep what business they have and will be flexible.
latest report
Sorry yes @Langerzug, @munich_irish, 28th March - re attractive than Warth.. we just fancied Warth as the property looks amazing and you are hidden away in a great valley for powder days, if you are lucky enough to have fresh snow etc...

Other option is just ask to re book for next year one week. But i think you are right, re-booking last minute would be easy anyway. Going to call them.

Hoping today's snow stays as snow as well!
latest report
I'm arriving on the 30th March for 3 days skiing, and wondered if anybody on here knows if the Heustadl and Murrmel bars (Gunar) will still be open?
ski holidays
I was prevented from posting this when it was annouced out of Vienna at midday.

Just Announced (Tuesday midday) new movement measures.

Vienna - The Austrian government is taking drastic measures in the fight against the spread of the coronavirus. For the first time, the corona virus causes significant restrictions in public life. The government announced Tuesday afternoon that outdoor events with more than 500 visitors and indoor events with over 100 guests would be banned until early April. There will be no courses at the universities from Monday at the latest.

The government also bans people from Italy who do not have a health certificate.

https://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/wien/Notfallplan-Einreisestopp-fuer-Italiener-alle-Unis-werden-geschlossen/420799408

I am pretty certain this will have an impact/closure on some Apres Ski and Clubs etc …

We will find out later today/tomorrow

@munich_irish, You were correct about that particular train..not stopping in town.

The New Lifts in Zurs/Zug... Nothing really new in the info's from what I previously post last season and the season before ….

I still think they will have a huge battle with the environmental groups over the 10 man Gondola in Zug..

Official Weather next few days

After the passage of a warm front very mild air will temporarily prevail around midweek. The frost line will rise towards 3000 m above sea level. At the same time, the air will become significantly dryer, subsequently Wednesday and Thursday will be free of precipitation. On Wednesday, the sun will still weaken due to gathering cloud banks. Better chances for sunshine are expected on Thursday. A weak cold front and slightly decreasing temperatures are forecast for Friday. Nevertheless, large amounts of precipitation are not expected. Changeable conditions are expected on Saturday, as a further cold front with some precipitation will approach. The snow line will sink to 1000 m above sea level. A high-pressure area seems to be expected just in time for Sunday. It will probably stay with us also during next week.
latest report
Snow again today. Plenty of fun to be had, but visibility was a little challenging at altitude. Snow quite damp in the village by the end of the day.

Whether restaurants and bars will count as “events” will become clearer soon enough.
snow report
A fair bit of snow has fallen today, even if it was a little on the wet side at times, so as said above, plenty of fun to be had if you didn't mind the poor vis and a bit of damp.

Hearing talk of some of the hotels in St Christoph closing up early as they've had a number of cancellations as a result of Corona virus, not sure which tho. Ski School Arlberg have also let a number of instructors go before the end of the season. Like yesterday, didn't feel any different on the pistes/in the lift queues than you would expect for the weather conditions/time of year, next week could be the one to tell tho, especially as more countries have added Austria to the "self isolate upon return" category (Denmark for instance).
ski holidays
xscreamer wrote:
I'm arriving on the 30th March for 3 days skiing, and wondered if anybody on here knows if the Heustadl and Murrmel bars (Gunar) will still be open?

The Heustadl normally is one of the first bars to shut. If we assume the season runs as normal with no changes due to coronavirus, you might just manage to catch it open. The Murmell is normally open right until the end of season but Gunar finishes his regular apres-ski session before that. When I talked to him in February he said the regular apres-ski sessions finish on 29 Mar but he may play the odd night later than that depending on snow conditions and the number of people in town. Last year he did quite a few extra sessions in April, mainly on Friday/Saturdays. You can email him on his website if you want to know for sure, he seems to be good at answering emails.
snow conditions
Also a heads up, there are people who upon their return home from St Anton have tested positive for Corona virus. Where/how they picked up the virus is unknown.
ski holidays
We departed Saturday and overall it was a very fine week - 4 excellent snowy days and overall very good conditions, despite the rain-sodden frozen base appearing occasionally in unexpected places.

Saturday was a rather superb day - deep snow and no peeps in Lech. The sun even came out after lunch

http://youtube.com/v/95AhthJ3UmA

Smile
snow report
That looks fabulous
latest report
Mooserwirt closing at 1500 today.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy