Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
munich_irish wrote:
@Sitter, were your kids ok (assuming you have had a group this week)?

No kids, I was out skiing on my own when it hit. Was nuts, not just up top but also in the village judging by some of the videos I've seen.

From what I understand, Zammermoos was already closed when the chair came off.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

@stanton, Morris is a much better source of forecasts than the ZAMG ones you persist in posting.

@munich_irish, humour him, he’s busy posting from his taxi and doesn’t realise we all have better sources for forecasts than he does!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was having lunch during the worst of the storm, or was it a micro-burst? Whatever it was, it was violent, judging from overheard comments. One ski guide and her clients were taking about hailstones!!! Her face suggested she had been hit by a few (not being rude).

Spent the afternoon on private powder, well semi-private powder, on Osthang Einfahrt -> Zwischen Abfahrt. Splendid skiing.

The village got another 5+ cm between 6:30 and 8:30, judging from the snow in the streets of Nasserein.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was a Wild Storm downtown.....Bad Hair Day!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Clouds will roll in this afternoon and we will get some dandruf thru tomorrow morning.

Weekend warm again!!

Monday night Tuesday looking useful for snow Very Happy

Just over 8 weeks left before they turn of the Swings .. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very Happy Advice please on tree skiing as the piste map seems to show almost everywhere as no go areas. Will be there next week and forecast would suggest might need to seek out some tree skiing. Also @stanton, mentioned drunken women a while ago. Advice on where these might be found would be appreciated!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@peter w, Just stay lower down for trees.. The forbidden areas are clearly marked...

Woman ..Mooosewirt/Haustadl helps if you can speak there language !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@peter w, I would take the comments about drunken women (or men for that matter) with a pinch of salt. There are a number of well known apres ski spots in a cluster just above the village, Sennhütte, Heustadl, Krazy Kangaroo, Taps and Mooserwirt (they are all along the blue piste down from Zamermoos though KK / Taps a little easier to access from the red down from Gampen) being the main ones which revolve around lots of booze & music. The KK has (or at least had) a reputation not only for dancing in ski boots but for folks taking off their clothes. If you do decide on a session in one of these spots (and it is very easy to get carried away) it really is a good idea to get a taxi back to the village, especially in the dark. Lots of folk do decide to wobble / slide down but there have been a number of accidents. Also do be aware that skis regularly go missing from outside, whether by accident or design. The Mooser has a staffed ski store which costs a couple of Euros not sure about the other places.

The are a number of night clubs in the village itself no idea which ones are good or bad, my days of going to night clubs finished many years ago......
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, or anyone else, how long is the Zamermoos chair likely to be out of commision?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, Thanks, was just a stupid comment. My days also long gone. Was rather more serious re the trees.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, or anyone else, how long is the Zamermoos chair likely to be out of commision?

Not sure, didn't get chance to ask, but hopefully not too long. Was crazy busy this morning, speaking to some people it took them about 30mins from joining the Galzig queue to getting out at the top, was similar over at Rendl, and Nasserein even longer, Gampen not too bad. St C chair not running either so people were bussing/taxi round to St A. Started off lovely this morning, snow at Rendl was awesome, but has since clouded over and now steady snowfall here.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Storm Bianca is rolling in across Switzerland and Southern Germany has been upgraded...

Exceptionally poweful wind gusts...>120kmph

There saying trees will be down in Germany & train services suspended

Zammermossbahn.... Best thing they could do is rip it out and replace with a T-Bar Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stanton, Morris is suggesting 25cm in the village and 50cm + at the top before tomorrow lunchtime along with the storm force winds
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zammermoosbahn

Here are some more fotos

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=62527&start=275#p5238878
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, Morris is suggesting 25cm in the village and 50cm + at the top before tomorrow lunchtime along with the storm force winds

Well there's been about 20cm or so here in Pettneu already judging by the top of my car.
ski holidays
https://vimeo.com/392307568
snow report
A serious amount of snow on our balcony in Lech this morning. Wind was crazy last night but seems to have dropped. Not much open yet but if the weather improves as forecast, it should be a mighty fine day!
ski holidays
The drive up was a bit different yesterday afternoon. Lots of blasting going on atm.

snow report
Rendlbahn closed at the moment.
latest report
It may look tempting now its cleared up but remember there has been a lot of wind and snow which equals == Lethal

Avalanche Danger is "Considerable"
snow conditions
Zammermoos was back up and running by about 11:30 this morning. Usual delayed openings of the main lifts this morning and associated lift queues. Also quite busy around town this afternoon, but that was mostly people returning rentals and getting ready to head home tomorrow. Didn't get the chance to venture off piste today due to work, but the pistes were lovely, getting down to the ice amongst the bumps at the end of the day as would be expected.
latest report
Absolutely fantastic day. How much better can the Arlberg get? Well, maybe the morning crowds were a little painful, but they dissipated at lunchtime and did not come back.

The snowfall eased by late morning and then the clouds started breaking up. Classically beautiful Arlberg winter’s afternoon.

Stayed near the piste, but there was still great powder to be found on Bachseite and Zwischen. St Christoph under the chair and Mattun also provided splendid skiing, but the sun had partially affected the new snow despite the temps staying well under zero. It is almost March, so probably no great surprise that the sun is getting more bite with each day.

Schindlergratbahn did not open. The Schindlerkar piste line had not been groomed, presumably because of avi risk, but possibly also due to the amount of work required to get everything else open. Arlenmähder opened in the afternoon, but I did not go there. Pretty much everything else was open by late morning.
ski holidays
Rendl off piste good around Gampberg late morning. This is the Arlberg at last! What a month it's been, never seen such rain so frequently. Big morning crowds disappeared this afternoon.
ski holidays
@davidthornton, a local ski guide lives near us. He said he has never seen a winter like this one. More specifically, the number of heavy rain days in Feb, with the rain falling all the way to the top of the mountain. In 18 years, I have never seen so many large swaths of rain-soaked snow, now ice, high up on the mountains.

It has been a mild, windy, and rainy winter, which perversely has also produced stunning days, like today.

I am fairly sanguine about it, being here for 8 weeks, but I know many 1-week skiers did it tough, depending on which week they had. Feel sorry for them.
snow report
jw83113 wrote:
Kantha wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions.

I share some reservations about driving for a week. This Easter will be the first time. We have always flown in the past, but have decided not to take the eldest out of school in term time now he is at secondary. The cost of school holiday flights x 5 is quite pricey, hence switching. I know lots of people do drive, so am sure it will be fine.

Driving from the UK to the arlberg is simple as long as you don't mind driving for quite a long day. As a lot of the accomodation in high season is Sat-Sat we usually drive down on Friday from the UK and stop overnight in Friedrichhafen. The holiday inn express there is often quite cheap. If you get up early the next day you can be in St A at 9am and have a full days skiing before you even pay for a nights stay in the resort. Similarly on the way back you can pack the car first thing Saturday morning, ski all day, stay over night again at a convenient location and drive back Sunday. You get 2 extra days skiiing for a relatively small outlay and it cuts a couple of hours of the drive compared to doing it in one hit and you miss the worst of the traffic.

It is possible to drive from the UK to St A in a single day and back too, and we have done that but you lose the chance for a bit extra skiing in doing so.

Back in the 90's we used to book with a tour operator and do the plane/coach transfer, we have also used flights to Zurich, where you can either get the train or coach to St A, but I prefer to drive, you can just throw all you stuff in the car and set off, free from the restrictions of other transport methods.

There are various routes. The fastest is Calais-Reims-Metz-Strasbourg, then through Switzerland to Austria but it's the most expensive, you pay tolls in France, then a 1yr vignette for CH, then a 10 day vignette in Austria. You can also do Calais-Belgium-Germany-Austria. That's what we normally use, it's cheaper, but a bit longer. You can drive really fast on the German Autobahns though if that helps !

I don't remember exactly how many times I've driven from the UK, it's too many but at least 20 times. I'm usually the only driver - if you have another driver it's a lot easier still. The main traffic jam will be if you arrive on the S16 motorway coming up to St Anton on Saturday just about any time from 9am to 1pm. You need to be earlier (or later) if you don't want to queue up for miles. There are some side roads via Dalaas and Klosterle which help but now everyone can see them on Sat Nav even that isn't always clear.

If you take the car you can also visit Sonnenkopf (which is just off the S16 ) for the day. It's included in the Arlberg ski pass and is great when there is good snow(no snowmaking there).

Just beware if driving - the route from Stuttgart south gets very busy on Saturdays with the convergence of traffic from northern Europe. And the Arlberg tunnel can be a major pinchpoint. We had a 2-hr delay for the tunnel at the start of half-term as they were operating a block convoy system throught the tunnel, i.e. around 200 cars being allowed into the tunnel every 10 mins or so. This caused a tailback 10km down the valley. Presumably this was to avoid stationary traffic building up in the tunnels.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
@davidthornton, a local ski guide lives near us. He said he has never seen a winter like this one. More specifically, the number of heavy rain days in Feb, with the rain falling all the way to the top of the mountain. In 18 years, I have never seen so many large swaths of rain-soaked snow, now ice, high up on the mountains.

It has been a mild, windy, and rainy winter, which perversely has also produced stunning days, like today.

I am fairly sanguine about it, being here for 8 weeks, but I know many 1-week skiers did it tough, depending on which week they had. Feel sorry for them.

Yet most of January was dry. Just one of those winters that happen along. One winter some years ago (30?) I remember that you couldn't ski to KK you had to take your skis off and walk across the grass!
That was before Greta Thunderknickers got in on the act!
snow conditions
@davidthornton,

Four/Five seasons ago you had to grass hike to KK..

Its not new
latest report
What an interesting 24 hours. What an interesting season... -10C on the Galzig yesterday and snowing. 24 hours later, Oberlech is showing +5C and Seekopf +1C at 7:30am this morning. Has pretty much been the pattern for this season and mirrors the 2019 Australian season - freeze/thaw after each snow fall, with too much of that “R” word thrown in.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austria Weather this season. 2nd Warmest Winter Ever (on record) !

In case folks did not see my post in Piste section

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151927
snow conditions
Hmmm...

stanton wrote:
@davidthornton,

Four/Five seasons ago you had to grass hike to KK..

Its not new

and...

stanton wrote:
Austria Weather this season. 2nd Warmest Winter Ever (on record) !

In case folks did not see my post in Piste section

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151927

...only 2 posts apart. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Meh, I've experienced better winters than this, I've experienced worse. What I do know is that the snow when Schindler opened first thing this morning was good fun. Started to get a bit heavier later in in the morning as it warmed up, but still left me with a smile on my face.
snow conditions
Snow next week....going to be good by the weekend..
snow report
Maybe 5cm overnight at village level. Still snowing lightly and quite foggy.
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, [b]

Even this season without the investment in kunstschnee,pumpstations,lines etc skiing to town (south face) would not be possible.
snow report
Was up near the first lift this morning in st Anton. A very good dusting giving a fun top layer to compensate for the poor vis untilthe sun started breaking through with variable results initially from about 10am.

We had to call it a day at 1pm by when it was quite warm and getting slushy lower down.

All in, over the last 3days we've had some quite good conditions
snow conditions
@Adam123, you called it quits too early! Very Happy Bachseite was fantastic all afternoon. Still some small areas of relatively untracked to be found... well, they were until we got onto them. The rest was still quite dry and the packed down lines were chalky. Schindler also held some pretty good snow. Fun skiing.

Quandary of the day: bus stop was as packed as I have seen it, and the catwalk down to Steissbachtal from Gampen was peak hour traffic jam, but after that... people disappeared. The Galzig restaurant was empty just on 12. Where did they all go??? Puzzled
snow report
@ulmerhutte, same a couple of weekends back, packed buses and lifts out of the valley on Sunday morning but hardly a soul to be seen on the mountain, Schindlerbahn empty and not a queue worthy of the name at Madloch, weird.
snow conditions
Light dusting of new snow on the deck - maybe 1 - 2cm. Sky looks reasonably clear. Should be a great day!
snow conditions
Yesterday was might fine in Lech and Zuers. Found some fantastic cold untracked pow on the Madloch on the way home at 3.30pm. I'll take that Smile
snow report
Heavy Snowfall tonight … POW tomorrow morning !!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy