Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
San Antonio is a lovely place to eat indeed, with varied good dishes. If you are more than 2, better to reserve places or you might have to wait for half an hour...
The road from Resselehof hotel to that restaurant has a nice pub in between. Near Nasserein you have a small Pizza Kebap that do tasty deliveries as well.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markymark29 wrote:
@Sitter, isn’t Theo’s Taverne also there too? Never been but sounds like a good place from reviews I’ve heard.

Theo's is downstairs at the Arlen Lodge (used to the the Arlenburg), directly opposite San Antonio's.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Going to be Epic Spring Temeratures this Weekend.....

Upto 15C
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crazy stuff.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Powder day again today. Been nice covering overnight.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup, maybe 10cm at village level, judging from the top hats on the fence posts. Quite a bit of blasting going on for last half hour.

It was very busy around St Anton yesterday morning but, as usual, the crowds dispersed by afternoon. Judging from the number of skis outside places like Heustadl, that was the afternoon pursuit of choice. The scary thought is that the next 2 weeks are usually busier again. C’est la vie!

Off piste in areas open to the wind remain sketchy - large swathes of exposed ice, eg in Stuben. The lovely meadow under the Flexenbahn was wind-packed, but still enjoyable. In the trees, away from the sun and crowds, there is still great powder to be found.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Raining n Flirsch
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton, no need to be so negative! Unless you are planning on using the nursery lift there is no skiing in Flirsch. It is snowing in St Anton, a bit wet maybe but still snow. Likely to get a bit milder but dryer as the day goes on. Should be great skiing later and over the weekend (with sun). Its not going to get to 15 degrees in the Arlberg over the weekend either and most places in the Tirol are not going to be that warm even low spots like Kufstein. The high temperatures are going to be in places to the north of the mountains like Munich, could be beer drinking weather on Sunday afternoon!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dry powder to be had up high this morning. And it should be a really pleasant weekend. But the powder will be tainted all the way up to the summits, which is a shame. This season it's hard to get a good stretch where the snow off-piste does not quickly get soggy, wind blasted, or crusted.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, no need to be so negative! Unless you are planning on using the nursery lift there is no skiing in Flirsch.

??

Some of the best descents in Arlberg in Flirsch !!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/NEHtWApx1hM
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, I didnt word that very well, I should have mentioned pistes! However I would have thought the valley was pretty steep around Flirsch, very hard work walking in / with skis. From distant memory of the Lechtal alps in summer the huts are pretty tough walks up from the valley. A lot less steep further up the Stanzertal, Pettneu & St Anton and their side valleys?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our friends and hosts treated us to dinner at https://www.zurpfeffermuehle.com/en/restaurant.html which is in St Jakob. If I have been to a better restaurant, I cannot recall it – even some of the extravagant lunches from vendors during my corporate days. The ambience of the room, the food, the presentation of it, the wines, the service, were all simply spectacular.

I actually have never before visited the village of St Jakob. It is actually a very pretty place, though it was probably presented at its best, evening, hotel and house lights on, and snowing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ulmerhutte, Herr Klimmer place (old ski school boss) ..

Used to be an even better place ( Gault Millau rated high) in the Hotel Brunenhof but it closed down over 10 years ago....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ulmerhutte, we’ve stayed last 25 years, fabulous place and family, don’t tell anyone about it though! wink
snow report
Weather Next Week (official)

We experience an early spring-like warm and sunny weekend. Foehny south-westerly winds will slowly arise in the mountains, consequently the frost line may temporarily rise to 3700 m above sea level, which is unusual for the middle of February. This high inflow of warm air will be accompanied by minor high cirrostratus clouds. These conditions will remain unchanged at the beginning of next week. A weak cold front will reach us on Monday night. Few precipitation but a longer period of decreasing temperatures are expected. Sunshine will frequently prevail throughout the following days. Scattered snow showers are expected on Wednesday afternoon, on Wednesday night and on Friday morning. The next weekend will be milder and sunnier again, however, it will be windy.
ski holidays
Top day's skiing in the Arlberg. In general snow is in good nick (pistes), colder temperatures higher up mean the snow is staying decent but it is getting rather soft lower down in places (Lech seemed to be much more affected than St Anton). As you might expect by early afternoon many runs were covered in moguls. Crowds not too bad though I guess tomorrow will be busier than today. Even the apres spots in St Anton seemed to be quieter than I would have expected. Unsurprisingly the easily accessible off piste is now pretty much skied out. It did get pretty warm, nice sitting in the sun on the ridge above Zug but it did not feel really spring like there was still a nip in the air in the more exposed places.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
Top day's skiing in the Arlberg …….. sitting in the sun on the ridge above Zug …...

2 of life's little luxuries ……….
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
Top day's skiing in the Arlberg. In general snow is in good nick (pistes), colder temperatures higher up mean the snow is staying decent but it is getting rather soft lower down in places (Lech seemed to be much more affected than St Anton).

That it takes at least an hour to get from St.Anton to Lech might explain the difference too....
snow report
@Langerzug, I was in Lech just after lunch and in St Anton around 16:00. I was surprised the home run slopes in St Anton were not as soft as they usually are on a fairly warm day. I got the bus in the morning so only skied St A on the way home.
ski holidays
Not good.....cloggies and Belgians fighting in Anton:-

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30717726/massenschlaegerei-in-st-anton-endete-mit-drei-verletzten
ski holidays
@Markymark29,

There was also a serious incident last week in the Pedestrian Zone (I didnt post earlier but feel I should now).
The Dutch guy (attacker) fled in a Taxi but the Police traced him.. The Norwegian is in a serious condition in Innsbruck Hospital

https://www.krone.at/2097205
ski holidays
@stanton & @Markymark29, dare I say it, too much alcohol? The solution? I have no idea. It is too ingrained in our culture generally and in St Anton, specifically.

That said, things seemed to have improved somewhat since we started coming here. Back in the early 2000s, it was not unusual to see hip flasks being passed around in lift lines - in the morning. It was also not unusual to get in the Galzigbahn, the old one, mid-morning and have it reeking of booze. Much less so now.

Today was, well, hot! It might have only got to 9C, or thereabouts, but it was a day of sweaty skiing. Ochsenböden this morning was, as expected, semi-baked, semi-loose snow. Did it against my better judgement. Wiesele was much nicer. The pistes, especially in Warth/Schröcken, held up pretty well. The real surprise - crowds, or lack thereof. Maybe the locals saw the forecast and decided that cleaning the shed was a better option.
latest report
Definitely on the warm side today though the sun didnt really shine most of the time, many folk were skiing without gloves by the end of the day. Snow did seem to hold up reasonably well, especially lower down in St A where there was no sign of the oft sighted piles of slushy moguls. The queue thing was odd, there were definitely lots more folk on the bus this morning. The Schindlerbahn was well nigh deserted at 09:15 (and was almost as quiet at 13:30) but there were big queues in Zürs for both Übungsbahn and Zürserseebahn but then no queues for Muggengrat (and not much of a queue for Madloch, less than on Saturday). Some of the pistes were pretty busy (really is a good idea to get down Valfagehr early) but this did not seem to translate into lift queues.

Didnt see any punch ups over the weekend though Pettneu is somewhat more sedate than St Anton, Friedls is not quite the Mooser or Bar Cuba!
snow conditions
It is not just a problem in St Anton.

This aggression is all over Austrian Ski areas

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 17-02-20 11:33; edited 2 times in total
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/h_WzvZSoPok
latest report
ptex wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/h_WzvZSoPok

Love the animation! Can't be because of the Austrian Schnapps and Bier.
ski holidays
@stanton, in more than 20 years of skiing around a good deal of the Austrian resorts I have seen any punch ups. Yes some of the various bars in St Anton, Ischgl, Mayrhofen, Saalbach etc get fairly leery after a number of hours of folk drinking but that would hardly be a surprise and is not really skiing related. It is easy to avoid these places if it doesnt appeal. Personally I prefer to be able to get up in the morning to start skiing rather than feeling crap after drinking too much beer!

I thought the Austrian smoking ban was very comprehensive? I noticed over the weekend that the bar next to the Trittkopfbahn in Zürs has ashtrays on the tables. It was a completely enclosed area, though I suspect the roof and walls can be removed. Is this some Zürs thing (rich folk dont have to follow the rules) or are they claiming that the area is outside (it isnt)? Base Camp in St Anton is no more of an outside area and I dont think smoking is allowed there (maybe wrong about that)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish, The trouble tends to be away from bars, and in the town when they get down into the taxis area and fussgangerzone. Like you say probably no worse than anywhere else but not great either when families and others are wandering around, people aggressively shouting and openly using the place as a public toilet.
snow conditions
There seems to fewer security staff around St Anton village this week than in the last few years. Hope that wont allow things to get out of hand. The town is very busy this week due to UK half term.
latest report
Some decent ice skating today on many slopes until lunchtime. No surprise. Very warm yesterday and then a solid freeze. It seemed to get the better of many, for the slopes became rather quiet in the afternoon.
ski holidays
@jw83113, your right to worry. Some of those kids are dangerous...

ski holidays
@munich_irish, I've seen and choked on smoking at Base Camp, seems to tolerated. When I questioned one bar owner about smoking he told me that smoking was legally permitted in a smoking section inside his bar, something to do with the area size of the premises.
ski holidays
Folks...

Weather has changed ….

A Touch of snow tomorrow but the next big storm rolling in from Atlantic will dump Scandinavia and leave Arlberg VERY warm

This weekend Temperatures 10C+
latest report
@davidthornton, that used to be the order of the day but before Christmas a smoking ban was bought in. As far as I understand it no exceptions such as enclosed "terraces" etc, hence the surprise at the place in Zürs. I am guessing they would claim it is outside.
latest report
@munich_irish, I was in Base Camp a few days ago suffering the odd smoker. Certainly at the Underground they don't smoke inside.
I was also inside the Mooserwirt and somebody was smoking, but then I suppose it's difficult to 'police' busy places like that.
snow conditions
Currently snowing quite steadily on the Galzig
ski holidays
Anyone know anywhere snowheads certified to get ski waxed and edged in Nasserien? Arriving on Saturday evening and would ideally like them ready for Sunday morning but unsure if that's a big ask. Feel free to castigate if this very much the wrong place to ask.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/MMcYsHWNda4

http://youtube.com/v/mNBpY-nhQ-k
snow report
@Ratherbeabeardog, all the ski hire spots should offer overnight ski servicing whether you would be able to get your kit to them in time no idea. Jennewein are generally known as the best place for higher end or touring kit, boot fitting etc. Whether their ski servicing is really better than any of the others?? I would suggest they all use the same machines.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy