Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@nozawaonsen, no I don’t want to rephrase (I’m aware of anglosaxon sensitivity to frank words, but I think it’s actually the anglosaxons that need to get real....think Johnson, think Trump)
Between Amsterdam (where I’m from), Lake Como (where I’m currently at) and St.Anton and even Lech: there is a growth of lower class tourism everywhere.
We can just be lucky that tattoo’s aren’t so visible in winter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Langerzug, like I said you are saying more about yourself than anyone else.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nozawaonsen, Langerzug confuses wealth with class. They are independent, though in this instance they might actually be mutually exclusive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Langerzug, its not some sensitivity to being blunt it is just what you have written suggests that you are an unpleasant snob (rather like Boris Johnson and his posh boy mates). Assuming that is not what you intended and I have understood what you are getting at, a better way to put it would be "prioritising quality over quantity" or "preferring high value visitors over mass tourism" or something similar. The Brits have a difficult and complex relationship with the concept of "class" which is not always easy to understand.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, he's got a point about the tattoos though!
What is this thing with having half a book tattooed on your body? Nobody can read it, and it looks like shite, imo of course. At least the trend for having a pair of antlers painted above your arse, (known around here as 'Arschgwei' ) seems to have died down a bit.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@munich_irish, thanks for explaining. (you Brits are really becoming more and more difficult to understand)
I’m not talking about money either. It is about style mostly, probably.
About tattoo’s, about noise, about alcohol abuse, about going to a fancy restaurant in Italy in shorts, tanktops and flip-flops..etc.etc.etc...and sadly, very often yes, it’s the Dutch, the English and Americans....

Wanna laugh about tattoo’s: check google images for “mine used to be an eagle too”
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Langerzug, must confess to wearing shorts to restaurants in Toscana, the place is full of northern Europeans in August and perhaps sartorial elegance goes out of the window. Never wore tank tops even in the 1970s Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Langerzug, Got to agree that St Manton is losing it's "cachet"! Most certainly over the past 10 years the "skiing thuggery" has emerged from their public schools and multiplied the pseudo-class-skier. Money is a great leveller, however, "class" and "style" have lost out on vacuous twenty somethings hell bent on chavdom.

I now tend to stay mainly in Lech/Zug where the atmosphere is certainly more genteel, as is the skiing and the mountain resto's.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug,Tjonge, jonge jonge, het is toch niet te geloven dit grachtengordel !!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When's it due to open?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidthornton, 28 November.

http://stanton-ski-open.com/en/home

“Catch me if you can” sounds interesting.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks@nozawaonsen, but I missed out the word hotel, I meant to ask - When is the new Alber hotel, by Galzigbahn, due to open?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Winter 2020/21@davidthornton,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/bxr8zkpJCCs
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
munich_irish wrote:
@Jefferson Darcy, I have seen similar comments from other people, not sure why. Perhaps contact the tourist office directly?

My mate did this, all sorted and booked Cool
ski holidays
Project …"Neubau Skipiste Waldabfahrt - Waldschneise"

For folks who do not know where this is, it is a well known off piste route that many locals take after a few late Biers in St Christoph

https://www.outdooractive.com/de/route/ski-freeride/st.-anton-am-arlberg/st.-anton-waldschneise/22280916/
snow conditions
Neu Schindlergrat Gondola (Mountain Station) Top of Valluga T Bar Lift

ski holidays
Oberlech

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3008048/

Skiroute 170 Madloch

https://vorarlberg.at/documents/21336/38168/II-960-79-2019,+Verhandlung+am+12.09.2019/35549e50-901d-4d19-b022-0e4626f42fc5
ski holidays
New Schindlergrat Fotos over here

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=4600#p5211661
latest report
@stanton, https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=4600#p5211661

Fantastic engineering, if ever anyone ever complains about the price of a lift pass I show them stuff like that, just brilliant. I'll still miss the old one though, was my favourite lift. (Meanwhile Chamonix still sat postulating what to do with the Grand Montets......Arlberg just gets on with it, pre-planned to the hour and there's no doubt it'll be finished on time, while others will be sat in courtrooms and with insurers no doubt musing about how there showpiece got burned down by a contractor and who'se liability it is, never mind re-building it)

Just imagine being the lorry drivers driving up Valluga tracks in photos on that link delivering the huge cable drums.......squeeky-b** time. Total respect.
ski holidays
Yes, going to miss the old Schindlergratbahn. No doubt by Winter 2020 I'll find out how much or how little. Will they retain the sign over the entrance - "Experienced skiers only"?
snow conditions
@davidthornton, the new lift will have two entrances, one for the midstation (=the former topstation) and one for the new ’top’ or rather endstation, which will be a bit further and lower
snow conditions
I guess one outcome will be more people skiing into Mattun from the top. That top section is often the best part of that line, ie the slope alignment results in better snow quality than further down, which gets sun-baked pretty quickly, and also gets tracked out just as quickly by the hordes coming in from the Kapall side. Pity.
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, yes Mattunjoch will get tramped out quickly now, as will Schindlerkar. Great shame.
ski holidays
Frankly St.A has lost a lot of it's charm for me. The Albona is not what it used to be, and imo this will turn Schindler and Mattun into a battleground. I suppose the Schindler couloirs will still be accessible and not too many will go in there?
ski holidays
@Steilhang, still plenty of special places
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@Steilhang, still plenty of special places

+1

(If many people start thinking like @Steilhang, then there will be even more “special places”! Toofy Grin )
snow report
@Langerzug, yes, I know exactly where the new top station will be, at the point where the top of the old T bar was. As has just been pointed out, Mattunjoch will be now be easily accessible to the hordes, shame, that top section was somewhat isolated. The old ski fields are being absorb into the general ski area, Schindlerkar now gets regularly groomed. I'm not that old but I can remember skiing Schindelkar before the Schindlergratbahn was built.
Oh well, there's always HintereRendl. Schhh!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidthornton, I thought the old Schindlergratbahn dated from the mid 60s, good to know I am not the oldest skier on the the slopes Very Happy. I agree that a faster bigger left means less queues but more crowded runs. I do wonder what the point of queuing for the Valluga cable car will be, the run down to the T bar is nice enough but certainly not worth a long queue and a slow lift.
snow report
@munich_irish,
Schindlergrat was constructed in 1981.
Must have been one of the first triple-detachables
ski holidays
First triple-detachable was Lech-Kriegerhorn. 1979
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@davidthornton, I thought the old Schindlergratbahn dated from the mid 60s, good to know I am not the oldest skier on the the slopes Very Happy. I agree that a faster bigger left means less queues but more crowded runs. I do wonder what the point of queuing for the Valluga cable car will be, the run down to the T bar is nice enough but certainly not worth a long queue and a slow lift.
good point. Valluga becomes almost pointless unless you want to do the Zürs run or the runs down to Ulmer Hütter / Valfagehr. Probably not many will.
snow report
@Steilhang, probably true, though I suspect a lot of people go up Valluga 1, and some add on Valluga 2, for the eye candy.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, @Steilhang,
No that is not a good point at all.
You are turning things up side down
Vallugabahn will finally loose its impossible queues. They way you are talking they might as well stopped the Vallugabahn already when Schindlergrat was constructed in 1981.
Valluga is sooo extremely important for St.Anton and Arlberg in general.
It is THE symbol.
History, Weisse Rausch, Hannes Schneider, Arnold Fanck......
Not to mention the snowreports...
You guys....really... Puzzled Shocked Puzzled
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
@munich_irish, as if the owners of Mooserwirt en KK are the reigning power in St.Anton....
St.Anton used to be an high-end destination, and is losing that. Hotelowners want it back. And hotelowners are indeed the reigning power. But whether they can fight the global growth of lower-class tourism....

St Anton has always been for the poor people (in recent history).

Snobs go to Lech, Oberlech, Zuers, etc.
snow conditions
@Langerzug, yeah, right. Thanks for the lecture.
snow conditions
@Langerzug, no doubt the the Valluga will keep its "iconic" (whatever that means) status for the Arlberg. Lots of folk will go up to take pictures and gawp at the few guided groups taking on the route down to Zürs. No doubt some folk will also go up to take various off piste routes too. The only reason I used to use it was to access Mattunjoch (the off piste stuff being generally beyond my creaking knees) but it was a lot of effort. I am sure some will go up to ski down the piste to the t bar but the point I was making is that with the new lift going to the same point as the t bar it seems likely a lot less folk will bother with a queue for what is a pretty slow lift, the t bar is not the easiest either. Whatever way you look at it it is going to mean that Schindlerkar and Mattunjoch will be busier.

Its called progress Very Happy
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
@munich_irish,
Schindlergrat was constructed in 1981.
Must have been one of the first triple-detachables
Yep more like it, I was skiing St.Anton in the 70's, definitely not the 60s! I remember the first season of the original Rendlbahn.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/AkZb0gTeCwc&fbclid=IwAR3CsjhwVeW6CHPNevkMsiqChyns9BmDJzLdXeVlnnn1JbI1eRxwkOubFfQ

the 3cld krieger, not forgetting Valfegehr was also a originally a 3 cld just before Schindler !
latest report
The slopes looked soooo quiet compared to the present.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy