Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
@munich_irish, Laughing my thought too!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Langerzug, I think you are missing the point! stanton claimed everything was shut, whilst someone actually in the area was skiing all morning. Big difference!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is turning into a storm in a tea cup.
All lifts were closed.
Then a small number of lifts opened later.
Some people skied what was open.
For an instructor this was adequate to work.
For me and many others a curtailed warm up day.
Many others were happy to do more runs on the limited open pistes.
The snow was very skiable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ulmerhutte wrote:
stanton wrote:
If you were luck enough to get on the services lift at 07:30 to Galzig well done. Smile ...otherwise its only hiking up, sauna or day trip to Innsbruck...

Rubbish. Been skiing all morning. Long queues, as expected, but soft, forgiving snow.

Try coming to St Anton sometime to find out a bit about this place firsthand.

@stanton - you weren't part of the Apollo programme, were you? Or shot JFK? Or played with Maradona at Napoli? Have you actually ever been to a ski resort?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@On the rocks, hopefully it’ll be a big storm, delivering many many tea cups, 1 metre deep minimum I believe!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone can always check the lift status here …….. https://www.skiarlberg.at/de/interaktive-karte
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ulmerhutte, ive been here sincw November....

More of the same tomorrow..

Folks need to launder there ski clothes in this weather it smells a bit ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, the crowds were insane first thing this morning. Initially, only Galzig and Fang were turning, with Gampen opening a bit later (maybe around 9:30?, not sure). The weather and possibly the limited easy skiing drove most of them indoors by lunchtime.

The run I enjoyed most was Galzig -> Osthang Einfahrt -> Osthang (under Galzigbahn) -> Talabfahrt. The snow was soft and forgiving. I appreciate this line is not for everybody; saw many sliding or walking down, having over-estimated their ability/courage. Osthang Einfahrt, being roped off, had some lovely snow on the lee side.

The wind got brutal in the afternoon. Tailwind skiing over to Osthang Einfahrt entry made for, well, a very quick ride. Reminded me of that BA jet that just made the fastest ever subsonic crossing from JFK to LHR.

Surprisingly good day, given the conditions. Lasted until 4pm. A “something from nothing” day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ulmerhutte, not sure my knees are really up for it these days (though the soft snow would have probably made it seem more attractive) but always good to look back up the Osthang run from the bar at the Mooserwirt. There is a feeling of a beer well earned Very Happy It might be more challenging but often more pleasant than fighting the crowds from the bottom of Kandahar especially if you take the final easy bit of the route through the trees.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, much more preferable to Kandahar. 99% of the people going up Galzigbahn were going down Kandahar. You can easily picture what that last, steepish pitch, when it had been worked into moguls and ice, with huge crowds, was like. Did it once. Enough.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zwissen !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Storm skiing is the best skiing! Enjoy!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cancel your Lift Pass Tuesday..Go and chilout down valley...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing down to valley level at Nasserein. It is wet snow, but still snow.

Planning a relaxed start today. Not keen on the first lifts scrum - it almost always gets quieter after a few hours. I suspect it will be similar to yesterday, with Galzig and Fang opening first up, then maybe Gampen. Don’t know the winds up top, but they made unloading on Gampen interesting, and ultimately lead to it being closed mid-afternoon.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Limited operations this morning ..
ski holidays
Yep. Early last week was worse though - rain, rain, rain! Maybe better wx later in week, as last week.
latest report
As expected this morning, just the drags, Fang and Galzig opened first thing. Gampen opened about 10ish, with Nasserein open about 12. Not sure what the queues are like now, but earlier you were looking at about 25mins for pretty much all of the lifts from what I experienced and from talking to others.
snow conditions
Busy on Gatzig and Gamden looked awful. Great snow on Kandahar then empty Fang lift and quick queue on Nasserin. Great skiing laps of Fang piste and Grun.
latest report
Zurs has Hexenboden/Ubungshang open. No queues, empty pistes, but blowy.
ski holidays
Let it snow!!
ski holidays
Fantastic powder afternoon. In a storm, with powder, where to go? The trees, of course:

Big queues in the morning, but they died off in the afternoon as usual, perhaps aided by Rendlbahn opening up. The snow fall got heavier in the afternoon and the snow got drier. Bodes well for tomorrow, though I expect limited lift operations first up.
ski holidays
Snowing quite steadily at village level. Hard to guess the rate, but currently maybe 1 - 2cm per hour.

It will be another day of restricted lift operations. I would be surprised if anything on the upper mountain opens.
ski holidays
Should find some nice soft bootdust this morning...

Most Lifts will be closed again...this morning..

Thursday will be Great but expect lift restritions
snow conditions
Lech and Zurs have quite a few more lifts open today including Rufikopf and Schuttboden lifts. Nice snow all over especially skiing into Zurs.
snow report
Langerzug run should be fantastic today, if I was in Lech today I’d be getting up Rufikopf, down through the barriers to the Poma and getting myself down Langerzug with a few sortees in the pow alongside.
snow report
@Markymark29, given the 4 deaths there last year not sure skiing that whilst officially closed is a good idea? No issue with folk being responsible for themselves and assessing the level of risk they are comfortable with but in the case of an accident it puts others at risk
ski holidays
@munich_irish, agreed I hadn’t realised it was closed. As soon as it opens it’ll be epic down there. I thought because Rufi was open than that would be too, hadn’t checked - my bad.

The people killed last season were ski touring up from Stubenbach I understand, we went down there a week after and it was very eerie experience knowing that they had perished there a few days previous.
snow conditions
Hi I'll be in St Anton from Sunday for a week but this time staying downtown in Nasserein instead of the main part of town. Are there any restaurants/bars worthy of a visit in Nasserein itself or is it all hotels/appartments down that part of town. I normally rarely venture beyond the Shell petrol station so don't really know what it's like there apart from the Fang bar at the gondala base.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jw83113, cannot comment on bars, but San Antonio has pretty reasonably priced meals. Great pizza, but also much more than that. Robi’s Rodelstall is a traditional Tirolean restaurant. Lovely food and great atmosphere.

There is also Theo’s Taverne. Supposedly both a bar and restaurant, but I have not been in there.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, thanks for the info. I'll check out these. It's nice to try a few new places as well as the old favourites. Hoping for a bit of sun next week so i can stop off for a beer outside the restaurant/bar bearing your name on they way down run 100 !
latest report
@jw83113, Very Happy If only I owned that place!

Two other places that I know of, but have never been inside them, ie Hotel Reselhof and Kellerbar. They are opposite each other, next to a Linie 4 bus stop.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, given that you were there last year shortly after the accident, it is quite shocking to read what you are saying about Langerzug.
The 4 Germans that were killed did exactly what you were suggesting, coming from Rüfikopf, not up from Stubenbach.
Michael Manhart, the big boss of Skilifte Lech was quite undiplomatic about it: what the Germans did under that circumstances was equal to suicide.
Thumbrule: if the Schafalplift is closed, Langerzug and Tannegg are too dangerous. And definitely closed officially.
(Oh, and Lech is testingground of Doppelmayr since 1939. Skilifte Lech and Dopplmayr are like twins. Referring to Poma is like swearing in church...)
latest report
@Langerzug, crossed wires I think. @Markymark29 clearly said that he assumed it was open when he said it would be great to ski, not to ski there when it's closed. I know him, he's definitely prudent with his offpiste skiing approach, especially in respect of avy risk.

(I don't know the details of the accident with the four Germans but I assume they were not killed skiing a marked open skiroute??)
snow report
@jw83113, There is the Mondschein bar just up from the lift station. It used to be a very smoky spot but much better now that smoking is banned. The Reselhof is accommodation only (very nice, owned by the couple who used to own the Krazy Kangaroo). Above the Kellerbar is another bar with food (its part of the Nassereinerhof Hotel). Theo's seems perfectly nice, went there to watch a football game before christmas. Food seems to be steaks, schnitzel, ribs etc. As far as I know Tom Dooley's is now closed.
snow report
@horizon, his crossed troll-wires! He knows just likes to make his point regardless, thought I’d clarified, no way I’d go down there if it was closed.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-02-20 17:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Nasserein has some good spots. I've had food at Theo's a couple of times and it was good, there's also a bar area which shows live sport if that's of interest. Both San Antonio and Rodelstall are also good for food, but given that it is a half term week, you're probably best booking a table if you want to eat anywhere, particularly on chalet nights off. Kellerbar is good for a beer or two, and has live music a lot of the week which is good, and of course Fang, one of the best hot chocolates in St Anton, and a good crowd when the live music is on too.
latest report
Dooley's is no more, changed to apartments.
snow report
@Sitter, isn’t Theo’s Taverne also there too? Never been but sounds like a good place from reviews I’ve heard.
snow report
I was told that the Theo’s sign outside the former TD’s was advertising only.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the info on the Nasserein area. I'm looking forward to being there now. Only problem is so much to do there and so little time. One week is never enough but I'll probably be going again first week in April if the snow remains ok this year. The previous two years have been great right up till the end of the season but it's not looking so certain this year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy