Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2019/2020 (MArch Weather -- Variable --Snow On and Off)

Poster: A snowHead
Voralberg Avalanche report in English
https://warndienste.cnv.at/dibos/lawine_en/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, the langlauf tracks are nicely filled in. The Flexenpass road is now covered in snow, if it keeps going I suspect it will be 4 x 4 or snow chains only.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munich_irish wrote:
@kitenski, the langlauf tracks are nicely filled in. The Flexenpass road is now covered in snow, if it keeps going I suspect it will be 4 x 4 or snow chains only.

you see it is a useful pic Cool snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
munich_irish wrote:

Signs for the pass from St A to St C this morning as I was arriving in on the bus was saying chains for everything except 4WD.

Still no higher lifts open this morning, and both Rendl and the Gampen chair were late opening (guessing the latter was something technical as Nasserein was running). Although it was still quite warm first thing, the temperatures have dropped and the slush base frozen with the fresh falling on top. Spent the morning lapping the drags along the bottom rather than joining the queues to head up in to the wind, although it was quite gusty at the bottom too, the kids loved watching the snow getting whipped off the various roofs. Snow's falling nice and steadily now, and hopefully the wind doesn't do too much damage higher up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just announced that the Galzigbahn is closing in 3 minutes. That is likely to make the crowds on Gampen that much worse.

Good skiing on the Galzig below the top. The entry to Kandahar is interesting- slick ice and a wind fighting the ski edges. It was a hell of a ride!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ulmerhutte, Fang should be good, always gets plenty windblown dumped on there in a storm. Last week was lapping that once they'd shut many of the lifts and was excellent, keep going up and down the chair.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, it was! One battle in the Gampenbahn queue was enough. Plenty of nice snow and lines off Fang. Peaceful.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/L5fghQgRx7Q
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That looks normal Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27 wrote:
That looks normal Puzzled

Not for February it's not. The water is usually a lot clearer and low enough so that you can see some larger boulders sticking up out of the water.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@red 27, tbf that particular section apparently topped its 1 year high water mark:

A few other sections (Brandenbergerache by Jenbach, Loisach by Garmisch, and the Sanna [which is comprised of the Rosanna from St Anton and the Trisanna from Ischgl] by Landeck) also reached what would be reasonable summer (peak melt/flow season) high flows. Others, like the Ötz, nada.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 4-02-20 18:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow (on the Lech video)! Never seen that before.

There were some other photos on FB showing storm damage in the Tirol.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
webcams looking much nicer this evening!

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ulmerhutte wrote:
Wow (on the Lech video)! Never seen that before.

There were some other photos on FB showing storm damage in the Tirol.

Summer of 2005 it was a lot lot higher than that !!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Be a pretty quick game of poohsticks if you're standing on that bridge.
latest report
@clarky999, I never knew it was called the Tannbergbrook - charming.

It's my habit when staying at the Omesberg to take a pre-dinner wander down one bank through the town to the oberlech gondola and then back up the far side to come in round the back of the spar. Always seems to be fast flowing little 'bruke' but your wonderful chart tells its own tale and no mistake
snow report
@red 27, Brücke=bridge, not brook.
Tannbergbrücke=the well known covered bridge opposite of Gasthof Post, where the busstop is, and the horsesleighs to Zug.
Real name of the ‘brook’ is the Lech.

Tannberg nowadays is the name of the area where Almhof Schneider and the Schlegelkopflift is.

In the Middle Ages Lech was called “Tannberg am Lech”
snow report
@red 27, as @Langerzug brook and Brücke are 'false friends' there, it's actually the name of the bridge where the gauge is located Wink

The German word for brook would be Bach (sometimes Ache, but that's mostly for slightly larger mountain streams to full blown rivers) - in another 'false friends' scenario the off-piste zone in St Anton known as Bachseite is often confused as meaning back side.
latest report
@clarky999, it’s more scouse than that.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, sorry that's gone straight over my head haha!
snow report
@clarky999, @nozawaonsen,
Dutch “Brug” fits nicely in between brücke and bridge
But surprisingly no labskous in the netherlands... (but hering definitely) Toofy Grin Very Happy
@clarky999 You’re in Innsbrook, right? Very Happy
Also funny: Salzberg vs. Salzburg
ski holidays
@clarky999,
http://youtube.com/v/_81B0jVdv1Q

Looks different without the snow.
latest report
Bachrseite doesn't mean backside??? I've been using it in other german speaking resorts, they must be laughing at me

What does it mean so? Side definitely means side or page? ?
snow report
@8611, Bach = stream or brook, Bachseite = (literally) stream side, in this case der Steissbach which is the stream which runs through das Steissbachtal . Back side in this sense would be die Rückseite (die Hinterseite might also work).
snow conditions
Could even be brook side...
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, Very Happy
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, aaah I see haha!
snow report
Which would be ideal as it actually reads like a Scouse accent as well
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@8611, Shall we start with the easy ones?

Fang =
Hang =
Grat =
Kar =
Scharte =
Abfahrt =
Einfahrt =
Zufahrt =
Schonengraben =
Valfagehr =
Rauz =

Very Happy Wirt =
snow conditions
Going to be a Sunny Afternoon.....
ski holidays
New snow good? @ulmerhutte,
ski holidays
How’s the snow / weather looking in Lech, Damuls and Ischgl?
ski holidays
@Markymark29, sure is. Very dry and fun to ski.

A fairly intense storm burst just hit the Galzig. Visibility almost zero. Time for a quick drink before some more laps of Zwischen and Osthang
ski holidays
Given arlberg was to be at epicentre of this storm, how the snow ?
snow conditions
It’s not sunny or been sunny up the Galzig today. Was flat light and just down right horrendous up there.
ski holidays
FYI

There has been a number of Breakin's/Burglaries (3 so far reported and police investigating) in the last couple of days.
One at SportPark over in Lech and Two incidents at Hotel/Accommodations in St Jakob on the eastside of St Anton … Cash in 4 digits has been stolen ...
latest report
@8611, the snow was fantastic. Light and dry, especially more so higher up. First or early tracks, even low down, eg around Fang were a dream. Even where it was pretty much cut up by afternoon, but deep, it could be easily skied, eg entry to the bottom half of Zwischen.

The only exception was Rendl, where there were large swaths of ice. I assume the wind blasted the new snow off; it certainly was not rain these last 2 days.

@DanFuller, I found mixed light, but generally pretty good. Sure, at 3pm, when the storm burst came through, the top of Galzig was, to use aviation nomenclature, visibility was well below Cat III minimums Very Happy , but became acceptable near the trees.
ski holidays
Ta, as predicted with the cold smoke then. Alas earliest I could get out is Fri and temps due to rise by then I think its unnecessary effort for me.
latest report
Thanks to all for the lingo pointers.

Lovely language, German, but I've always struggled with it as you can tell

http://youtube.com/v/MpIFJi26lZ8
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/SXib3RBqOqk
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy