Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st set of skis - pull the trigger or keep powder dry?

Poster: A snowHead
So I’m a relative novice having started skiing 4 years ago but I’ve managed to get 8 trips in that time all in Europe. Not sure where to pitch my ability but intermediate? Can ski black pisted runs (not always cleanly!) and have increasingly been getting off piste although always inbounds. I’ve always hired skis and last year there was a powder dump so hired some soul 7s which were great fun but bit wide for the piste. Also had Cham 97s that I really enjoyed and was on a set of full rocker Volkl RTM 84s this year that I enjoyed.

I had hoped to try out some touring this year but sadly that didn’t transpire. Pretty sure I’ll enjoy it although probably more to get away from crowds and find fresh snow rather than long haul or multi day touring.

I have been tempted to buy my own skis recently. Partly because I’m a kit junkie but also because I’ve found the skis I’ve hired are bit narrow when get off piste and tends to be pretty high end skis that hire places have that are wider. So first question is he merit of getting own skis (I’ll be flying with them although in the future I am wondering about driving out for ski trips) The second part is whether to get some skis that have alpine bindings or find some with frame touring bindings? There are reasonable amounts of both knocking about second hand. My ideal skis would be, I think, something 90ish wide with a set of shift bindings. I’d been looking at daemons (whixh were on private sports shop but think I need the 177 length which they didn’t have), camox, Volkl 90eight and Salomon’s QST 92.

Open to thoughts, opinions and flamings! Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like your thinking about buying for the right reason (I.e you want a certain type of ski that’s trickier to get, rather than a cost thing). But just in case, be aware that it’s not a great deal cheaper having your own skis if you’re having to pay the excess baggage fees.

Ive not skied them but a lot of people have positive comments about the Cham 97.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're skiing on holiday only then I would always hire as you can get top of the range skis these days and test a variety out.

However....if you're determined to buy then all the skis you've listed are highly regarded. I'd definitely test daemons before buying though, they take some getting used to being full reverse camber.

Here in Cham, the Cham 97 is pretty universally and comes well recommended so long as you don't mind 5 other people in the lift queue also having them:)

For reference, I have BC Navis (102mm waist) with Shift and find them pretty perfect for 90% of conditions.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're anywhere near either Hemel Hempstead or Manchester if you can I'd hold off buying and book yourself a space on the nearest SnowHeads Okobertest, where you'll get to try loads of different skis back-to-back in the same conditions. It really is amazing how different 2 skis targeted at the same market segment can be - and how easy it is for even an average intermediate to go " I think these skis are (horrible|OK|amazing)". Do the test, try some skis, buy the ones you fall in love with.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a detailed reply written, then my phone died Sad.
Short version: @Fontmoss, I assume you have boots sorted already, if not do this first (and think about future use, ie consider tech fittings if you are serious about touring).

Then demo skis if at all possible. The 3 you mention liking are very different. Take a day or two on your next holiday to demo several back to back, on the same runs in the same conditions if possible. Or go to a SHs oktobertest.

Finally, as @Meltus says, there's a big difference in feel between camber and (full) rocker. Unless I'm mistaken, the RTM 84 is camber underfoot with tip and tail rocker, not full rocker. Great ski, and one that would help your technical progression but not necessarily the best if you list after off piste and touring.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies! Yeah got a set of boots early on and glad I did hence some of my interest in getting skis. I have tried to find the above skis when I’ve been away but failed so far. Have thought about Oktoberfest, anyone know if they’ll have black crows?

The RTMs were version before they added camber (but not as big a rocker as daemon)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's the 2018 Oktobertest page, which includes a list of the manufacturers down as attending - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138778

No Black Crows by the looks of it - but more skis than you test in one evening to pick from.

You can usually find something interesting to test in most resorts - though it can take a bit of hunting and best to go with a list of skis to try and find, rather than a single, specific one. I'd also say don't try to hire something different on Friday/Saturday. The shops are busy and the staff don't have much time to spend on each customer. Go back after skiing on a Tuesday afternoon though and in my experience it's a different story. The shops's empty other than a bored tech' who's more than happy to talk about skis and have a fish in the interesting rack, as it makes a change from yet another pleb asking to change boots/skis because they don't match the jacket they are going to wear tomorrow/etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I ski Cham 97. It's a great ski. It was displaced by 2.0 and now I think Mythic.

I think you should be looking to buy given your profile but the touring aspect complicates things slightly as it's not clear how much you'll be doing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve had an eye out for second hand chams and asked from a set I saw over a year ago they seem hard to find. I’m really keen to try some black crows but only seen them when I was in morzine and they were silly expansive to hire. Other option is that my girlfriend is same height as me (and a far better skier but no interest in having kit) so if got alpine bindings set up she could have them if I got a touring set up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Fontmoss, there's a set of 177 Mythics here if that's any good for you?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah I did see those! Bit expensive for this level of unsureness
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Fontmoss, I bought the Cham 97 2.0 with Marker Tour F10 as I wanted the option of some touring (day touring in mind) and on piste while on hols with the kids which sounds similar to you. I bought them based on reviews and when on sale and did not try them on the slopes. Also bought the Salomon MTN Lab boots. I really like the skis (mostly been on piste this year). They are my first set of "wide" skis - before these I had a pair of Stockli Stormrider XLs. Took a little while to get used to but love them now. The bindings have been solid on piste - I was a little sceptical before buying but it was a budget buy and would recommend whole heartedly. They are super easy to change between touring and piste. The boots are great on piste - I wanted one pair to have for piste and touring. All three pieces I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
I ski Cham 97. It's a great ski. It was displaced by 2.0 and now I think Mythic.

I think you should be looking to buy given your profile but the touring aspect complicates things slightly as it's not clear how much you'll be doing.

He's been skiing 8 times in the last 4 years, so not much really.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fontmoss if you like the chams and fancy the mythics but the price is too high then make me an offer. They are barely used. I can email some photos if you are interested.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So I’ve actually bought Charlie’s white dot ones. More frontside oriented and alpine bindings (but quiver killered) Hopefully I can continue to develop and can’t imagine I’ll be under skied and maybe could use some touring gear bindings in the future. Or give them to my girlfriend when I buy a touring set up....
snow conditions
@Fontmoss I have similar experience and after some research just bought chetlers 100 shift combo( on sale). i wanted 50/50 skis light enough for touring which would be good to maneuver on moguls as well. Will be testing them next week in Aravis. Good luck.
snow report
@Fontmoss

If you want an all mountain ski I would recommend on the new Experience 94 Ti. Rossignol has improved a lot this line (the first series were mere piste skis poorly adapted to off-piste) and this model has won a "best ski" award for in the 2020 Proskilab test. I have tested it quite a few times. I would not buy them because I favor stiffer skis in this category, but I took a lot of pleasure on them. It is a very easy-going, fun, versatile, and pretty much agile (for this category) ski to use both on piste and off-piste. If you are not very comfortable on black runs, I think it should fit your level. Try them if you can, they should be easy to rent.

https://www.gearscore.co.uk/rossignol/experience-94-ti/2019/reviews-and-prices/https://www.gearscore.co.uk/rossignol/experience-94-ti/2019/reviews-and-prices/

If you want to do some touring while keeping some efficiency on piste and freeride, the Camox Freebird is a fantastic ski. It is also a pretty user-friendly ski.

https://www.gearscore.co.uk/black-crows/camox-freebird/2019/reviews-and-prices/
snow report
Black Crows Orb skis seemed perfectly happy in powder when I tried them off piste. They are great all-around skis. Just bought a pair. Lucky you... the best prices for them seem to be in Scotland. That's where I bought them and had them shipped to the US.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy